The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ARCA-SWISS C1 Cube - 85th Anniverisay Special

kdphotography

Big investment for sure----particularly when it almost amounts to another lens instead (Mamiya 150mm f/2.8 *sniff*).....

Arca Cube fellowhip? Brotherhood of the Cube? Hell, Arca should be a sponsor here for GetDPI....

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
There are only two schools of tripod heads
Cubist and cubeless
At the moment I am traveling light and am shooting cubeless, gosh I miss it!
-bob

C

confuciously

I've owned both the C1 & the Linhof 3-way head...actually I was the 1st owner of a Cube in North America, ordering it at the end of 2004 and having to wait about 4 months for Arca-Swiss to deliver...this pic's from Passover '05

http://onfinite.com/libraries/462144/5d7.jpg

I'd originally sold the Linhof head to finance the C1, but ended up selling the Cube on ebay ~2 yrs ago...likely the only time you've ever seen on there if you watch that sort of thing. I found an old, used Linhof 3-way head for cheap and am happy with it.

Don't kid yourself, though; it isn't quite the same as the Cube, though it is very good. With extremely wide angle lenses the Cube's fine gearing can nail a shot down where my placement ability with the ungeared Linhof head is a limiting factor (but not the Linhof's locking accuracy, which is amazingly accurate), and when shooting up close the Cube's far better than any other head you'll try because the lines of its 2 geared axes lies within the body of the camera. On the Linhof (and all other heads except the Korean copy, which is likely quite good), the camera's moving along upon the outside of 2 spheres of rotation, causing much more movement of the image and focus when very close.

Financially I couldn't justify so much money in my camera closet invested in a tripod head, but I don't regret buying the Cube for a second. It is a dream to operate & I do wish I had the $ for it. For the Alaskan fellow considering the Linhof 3-way head, I do believe it is the next best thing.

bensonga

One step closer......I just ordered the Novoflex Castel-Q focusing rack, a couple of QR plates and the vertical bracket.

The Cube is within my sights, trigger finger at the ready.....hemming and hawing, hemming and hawing.

I know, I know....."the Cube is forever". Oh man, this is going to hurt. $1,700 for a tripod head? Are we crazy or what???? :bugeyes:

Gary
Alaska

Don Libby

Gary

Don't think of it as spending $1,700 - think of the money you'll save; this should be the last head you'll need. Welcome to the club, you've got your hand on the door now all you need is to open it and come in....:thumbs:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Gary,

Resistance is futile! Moreover, once you actually have the cube on top of your tripod, concerns over the ridiculous price will evaporate and be replaced by the common mantra, "Why did I wait so long to get it?"

:ROTFL:

bensonga

Don't think of it as spending $1,700 - think of the money you'll save...:thumbup:
Ha! :D Unfortunately, that line of reasoning doesn't work in discussions with my wife anymore (it hasn't for years). Sometimes, I even have a hard time convincing myself of it. Problem is, I hate to sell any of the gear I already own, so it's not like I'd buy the Cube and then sell 2 or 3 heads that I might not need or use any longer.

I'll wait till the Novoflex stuff arrives next week, put it on my big Gitzo tripod (with the Gitzo leveling base I got from Jack and the large Gitzo pan tilt head) and give it a test run. Might be able to put off the inevitable for a few more weeks. Still waiting for the dust to settle on the home front, after my recent purchase of the Leica R8 and lenses. :thumbup:

Gary
Alaska

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I can't commit to it myself. Just got the Gitzo 3780 head and it should be fine. I need some other gear i have my eye on.:D

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
Luckily, there are no Cubes to be had on this planet--at either the old price or the sale price--and won't be for another three weeks or so. Maybe this urge will pass by then.

Guy Mancuso

Maybe this urge will pass by then

Yea but it's like relieving yourself eventually you just have to do it. ROTFLMAO

Sorry you set me right up for that line. Could not resist. LOL

Okay it's Friday time for cocktail hour

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
THIS IS THE CUBE; YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

We have ONE cube in stock as of right now. First come first serve.

By the way, this is clearly a commercial posting. I only put it here because it's short, and I know many people on this thread were thinking about pulling the trigger and it's in very short supply; I can almost guarantee it will be gone by tomorrow. If anyone feels it's out of order please say so and I will put my nose in the circle and wear the dunce hat.

END TRANSMISSION

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Guy Mancuso

Doug I looked at CI site yesterday. You or Chris need to post that P45+ refurb in the Commercial vending area , that was a nice price for that setup. Someone maybe interested in it