The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ARCA-SWISS C1 Cube - 85th Anniverisay Special

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Enough already. I thought this forum was a friendly, informative place to spend a few minutes each evening. I had no idea it was going to cost me money - real money.

Now I've been smitten with THE CUBE and have decided to buy one. (To be fair, this is partly Reichmann's fault for letting me play with his.) Given that this forum effectively performed the Coup de Grace, I think it would be appropriate if each subscriber to this thread made a cash contribution towards my purchase.

As an alternative, I would (eagerly) accept advice as to what plate(s) I should buy for mating it with my AFD III.

You choose, money or advice.

Please.

Bill

Don Libby

Enough already. I thought this forum was a friendly, informative place to spend a few minutes each evening. I had no idea it was going to cost me money - real money.

Now I've been smitten with THE CUBE and have decided to buy one. (To be fair, this is partly Reichmann's fault for letting me play with his.) Given that this forum effectively performed the Coup de Grace, I think it would be appropriate if each subscriber to this thread made a cash contribution towards my purchase.

As an alternative, I would (eagerly) accept advice as to what plate(s) I should buy for mating it with my AFD III.

Please.

Bill

Isn't that more like the Cube de Grace?:ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Please.

Bill

I think the other owner of this site should be given a Cube to keep the balance going.:bugeyes:

tashley

Subscriber Member

Please.

Bill

Bill,

Not sure if you saw my posts in the other cube thread in which I tested the Phamiya on the cube under a variety of circumstances and with a variety of plates. In the end the consensus is the RRS L plate but the jury is mildly out. I have the Arca L plate and that gives the best results out of the three plates i have but under certain circumstances even that plate is not perfect. Jack believes that under those circumstances his RRS plate would probably do better and has kindly offered to run the test when he gets back with all his gear.

HTH

Tim

kdphotography

I don't know about Tim's Arca L plate, but for the Mamiya 645 AFD III/Phase 645AF camera body-----between the RRS L bracket and the Kirk L bracket, I'd choose the RRS L bracket. Both are similar in design, quality and function. I have the Kirk L bracket---but after seeing images of Jack's RRS L bracket----the design is ever so slightly different: the RRS Bracket does not cover the remote trigger port as much as the Kirk design does, which means it makes it easier to remove your electromagnetic release cable. The lens release button does not take nearly as much effort to use, so easy to manipulate with a single finger, whereas getting at the release cable with the Kirk is difficult at best. Keep your hex wrench handy!

The Kirk has a nice "spacer" block available that attaches onto the Kirk L bracket (will work with other L brackets I am sure) to allow more space to use the EM release cable in portrait orientation on your new Cube (or other tripod head).

ken

R

RHP

I don't know about Tim's Arca L plate, but for the Mamiya 645 AFD III/Phase 645AF camera body-----between the RRS L bracket and the Kirk L bracket, I'd choose the RRS L bracket. Both are similar in design, quality and function. I have the Kirk L bracket---but after seeing images of Jack's RRS L bracket----the design is ever so slightly different: the RRS Bracket does not cover the remote trigger port as much as the Kirk design does, which means it makes it easier to remove your electromagnetic release cable. The lens release button does not take nearly as much effort to use, so easy to manipulate with a single finger, whereas getting at the release cable with the Kirk is difficult at best. Keep your hex wrench handy!

The Kirk has a nice "spacer" block available that attaches onto the Kirk L bracket (will work with other L brackets I am sure) to allow more space to use the EM release cable in portrait orientation on your new Cube (or other tripod head).

ken
What about the Phase L bracket ?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have the RRS L bracket had it since it first came out. Phase is the same thing. Don't leave home without it

I think though Phase comes with a hand strap. I use a Hassy strap myself

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thank you all for your highly valued advice, and for the cash that the rest of you have presumably put in the mail.....

I'm inclined to the RRS having used their plates before with Canon gear.

I'll let you know how it all works out.

Again, thanks,
Bill

Terry

No, i can't give Jack ALL of the credit for enabling. Under his "care and guidance" there is NO way I would own a Sony system right now....:ROTFL: :eek::eek: :ROTFL:

Sony folks: don't take offense just a joke!

Don Libby

Don is the master assimilator....Doug is merely the enabler...
Okay I know I'm late showing up however I have a good excuse - a paying client..

Now that that's settled - "assimilator" Ken?

I think you really need to think about getting that loaner camera for you trip next week.....

Don (aka )

by the way I resemble that remark :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Terry

So, I'm packing my gear and I am laughing pretty hard because in all of my stuff I can't find a pouch that fits the cube :ROTFL::ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Using a lens wrap, which still keeps me well below the Arca price, but the cube really literally is a square peg in a round hole problem :D