The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ARCA-SWISS C1 Cube - 85th Anniverisay Special

S

Shelby Lewis

The service that I'm getting from PhotoClam is spot on.
At least they reply to my emails.
Every time I emailed AS I never had a reply.
I always feel uneasy about the photoclam situation until I hear the above over and over and over...

Is the AS "anniversary" pricing (read: photoclam discount, lol) still in effect?

ARCA

Arca-Swiss 85 years old? Come on now. Unless that's the year Martin Vogt was born, they're pulling something fishy here. Late 1940's or early 1950's is a bit more like it.
Nothing fishy here !

http://tiny.cc/XP3kN

See also on the bottom of this page, References: "2" (though in German)
That's the most accurate I've found online. Regards

Marc / ARCA-SWISS

J

jjlphoto

Nothing fishy here !

http://tiny.cc/XP3kN

See also on the bottom of this page, References: "2" (though in German)
That's the most accurate I've found online. Regards

Marc / ARCA-SWISS

I read that before. "Oschwald Brothers" machine shop was founded in 1926, but they did not make cameras way back then. The name ARCA and the first ARCA SWISS camera didn't come onto the scene until the middle 1950's. So in my mind, saying it began in 1926 is a bit of a stretch.

cerett

My Cube just arrived, but I am currently out of town. I'm trying to get a handle on this clamp issue. For those of you who have gotten the Cube within the last few months, has this "problem" been resolved? Does anyone have any diagrams or ilustrations of how this is supposed to work? I have a H2 and RRS L plate. Thank you.

cerett

Thank you. I was not aware of that article. It will be helpful to have on hand. What I was referring to were the issues raised earlier in this thread about the clamp not opening all the way, etc. Some even suggested replacing it with a RRS clamp. Later replies seemed to indicate that there were some recent modifications that mitigated these problems. If there are no issues, so be it, terrific.

Terry

The clamp does open all the way but there is a little bit of a secret that isn't obvious. When you open the clamp partially, take your thumb on the little silver bar inside the clamp latch. If you push on that (not in but laterally) it will unlatch the clamp further and fully open it. This step isn't obvious.

kdphotography

Thank you. I was not aware of that article. It will be helpful to have on hand. What I was referring to were the issues raised earlier in this thread about the clamp not opening all the way, etc.
The AS Cube instructions are horrible. Maybe it's because I bought the anniversary edition Cube, and only received a B&W photocopy.... (really)

This part is not made clear at all. The AS Cube release is actually a two-part release lever system. The first release opens the jaws just enough to loosen or slide a plate inside. The second release is that part that is not made clear------But along the inside of the quick release lever, you will see a series of tiny ribs (silver). Run your thumb alongside, and the release will then open all the way, allowing easy/quick placement of a wider AS-compatible plate right into the jaws.

I think it is now more a matter of preference to me---a RRS lever or the AS Cube release lever. I've opted for the original AS lever as it works fine for me. (And yes, I did experience the springs and washers exploding onto my lap! Quite unsettling after spending all that $ and having had the Cube only ten minutes....) :)

kuau

Workshop Member
Quick question,
WIth the C1 Cube, is it still nice to have a self leveling base underneath it or not required.
Thinking about getting one and replacing my RRS BH-55 which sits on top of Gitzo self leveling base right now which is nice to have.

oh yeah, whats the deal with the Multiflex V3.0 for $1130.00 worth saving the money?
Steven

kdphotography

Quick question,
WIth the C1 Cube, is it still nice to have a self leveling base underneath it or not required.
Thinking about getting one and replacing my RRS BH-55 which sits on top of Gitzo self leveling base right now which is nice to have.

oh yeah, whats the deal with the Multiflex V3.0 for $1130.00 worth saving the money?
Steven
The Cube is all you need.

If you have a secondary tripod system, then it's great to use the leveling plate and other ballheads on that system.

Lots of discussion here and elsewhere on the Cube and the Multiflex, intellectual property, patents, and such. No one's ever sat down and really physically compared the two as far as I know....

I opted for the Arca Swiss Cube "Anniversary edition"----as many people here that have bought Cubes, maybe Jack and Guy should ask AS to issue a special GetDPI edition.... :D
ken

etrump

The AS Cube instructions are horrible. Maybe it's because I bought the anniversary edition Cube, and only received a B&W photocopy.... (really)
I had the same problem with the cube I just bought. Truth was, after I actually read the instructions it was pretty clear - sort of. :ROTFL:

Haven't had a chance to use it in the field but it seems engineered quite well.

I do wish the pano rotation was geared but it would probably not be worth the extra size.

cerett

Follow-up: I received my Cube last night. It took some figuring out, but once I understood how the quick release clamp worked, it was no problem whatsoever. See absolutely no need to replace it with a RRS clamp. Thanks to all.

cerett

I did think of two more questions. I noticed that the gear tracks have some lubrication. Have any of you needed to add lubricant over time?. If yes, what would you recommend? Any suggestions on tripods (preferably Gitzo) that would work well with the Cube and an H2/Phase One combination? Thank you.

T

tetsrfun

If yes, what would you recommend? Any suggestions on tripods (preferably Gitzo) that would work well with the Cube and an H2/Phase One combination?
Gitzo GT3541LS, GT3541XLS, or GT5541LS.....If you don't want or need the max height of the XLS and can wait 6 weeks for delivery then the RRS TVC-33 "Versa".

Steve

kdphotography

If yes, what would you recommend? Any suggestions on tripods (preferably Gitzo) that would work well with the Cube and an H2/Phase One combination?
Gitzo GT3541LS, GT3541XLS, or GT5541LS.....If you don't want or need the max height of the XLS and can wait 6 weeks for delivery then the RRS TVC-33 "Versa".

Steve
And don't forget the safety plate for the 3 and 5 series Gitzos. Well worth the investment to secure the head. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/653825-REG/Naturescapes_GSP_55_Safety_Plate_for_Gitzo.html

(note: Above link for the 5 series safety plate; the 3 series needs a different plate size)

RRS tripod is worth looking at---about two pounds lighter than the 5541LS yet closer in spec to the 5 series Gitzo than the 3 series Gitzo....

kdphotography

I did think of two more questions. I noticed that the gear tracks have some lubrication. Have any of you needed to add lubricant over time?. If yes, what would you recommend?
Talk to Jack Flesher or Don Libby. Its my understanding that Don sleeps with his Cube, and Jack showers with his....

:ROTFL:

ken