The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ARCA-SWISS C1 Cube - 85th Anniverisay Special

T

tetsrfun

Can you compare it to what you have previously owned, in the field?
The RRS??? If so, I haven't owned a comparable tripod, which would be a Gitzo 3541xxx and/or 5541xx. Compared to my other carbon fiber legs, Manfrotto, Giotto the RRS is not even in the same league. Much better build quality, the legs, lock and unlock with about 1/8 turn, leg function is very smooth..etc...etc.

Compared to similar Gitzo, by report and by inspection:
1)equal or better quality
2)about 3451 weight and 5541 load factor
3)top plate fixation system
4)appearance, I prefer the anodized black aluminum to the grey-silver finish

potential negatives:
1)New product...no long term history
2)Direct sales, no dealer network for service needs
3)58" max height
4)back-ordered, about a 6 week wait for delivery
5)major accessories not yet available ie, leveling plate, column, etc.

Steve

Dale Allyn

Just as an FYI:

Warranty: Gitzo = Lifetime; RRS = 5 Years. I couldn't find it on the site, so called and asked. Maybe not a factor, but offered to contribute to the lists.

RRS also stated that the current wait time is 6 to 8 weeks.

archivue

i've just received my Gitzo GT3541LS to replace my bellowed 1329... i can't be more happy... (6X + ALR + G-lock), i had 5 gitzo, they have a good support, and parts catalogue...

i've ad my geared column to it, and Arca B2 head... while smaller than my old 1329, it looks as rigid !

i've tried the cube, and loved it... but can't justify to buy it, my B2 is really good as well... and sometimes quicker !

epatsellis

Just as an FYI:

Warranty: Gitzo = Lifetime; RRS = 5 Years. I couldn't find it on the site, so called and asked. Maybe not a factor, but offered to contribute to the lists.

RRS also stated that the current wait time is 6 to 8 weeks.
Define Gitzo's "lifetime", I have a TeleStudex bought with the life time warranty many years ago that, apparently, was warranted for the lifetime of the then importer. Should the situation change again, I'd be asking if Gitzo will honor the "lifetime" warranty, or screw everyone like they did the last time around.

Dale Allyn

I have no "definition" for you, sorry. I'm not affiliated with Gitzo, nor a vender, etc. I believe that RRS would honor certain fixes if a bit beyond the five years as well, as they're a fine company and nice folks.

As for Gitzo: I can say that they have done right be me (and other friends) on gear beyond five years old. It may be that Gitzo would honor your warranty need, but require the unfortunate step of sending to them directly. I agree that they should make it right by working with their current importer. It doesn't cost them much to do so.

Steve Hendrix

How to make the cube look inexpensive....

Compare it to this at $5000:

http://gizmodo.com/5528001/acadalus-self+leveling-tripod-head

Of course shown with an S2 :ROTFL:

Actually we had this product and it's inventor in studio yesterday at our Atlanta location. Who knew we'd be scooped by Gizmodo? We're sending the Swat team over!

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/04/27/did-apple-call-the-cops-on-gizmodo/

I was out of the office, but saw some pics this morning, chatted with Dave about it. We have an offer on our table.

Should we take them up on it?

Steve Hendrix

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Steve,

Unless the head can be adjusted even if the battery goes dead, then my advice to Dave is take a pass ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Cheaper to keep a good ballhead as back-up, which of course you'll have to have in case the batteries go bad or a switch fails. Honestly, appears to be an answer to a question nobody asked; a "we did it because we could" product...

Steve Hendrix

Here are a couple of teaser images at our Atlanta location from yesterday.

The man standing next to the Acadalus is Carl Koch, the inventor. Carl is of course a member of the Koch family, developers of the Sinar view camera line.

This is (one of) his new endeavors. He has been working on this for 4 years.

Dave Gallagher will have a more detailed blog write up soon on an interesting product and a very interesting and capable man.

Steve Hendrix

kdphotography

It is kinda cool, but like the S2 attached to it---I wouldn't buy one. (Q: Battery life in the cold?)

For $5K, you could buy two AS Cubes.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I guess I can see it if you can't handle the few seconds it takes to level your Cube manually...

Back to Cubist matters, I have succumb. UPS should be bringing my little black Pandora's box of geared lovliness tomorrow morning.

-Gear Junkie