The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ARCA-SWISS C1 Cube - 85th Anniverisay Special

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Perhaps it aligns to the North Star then sets your level?
Used to work with a Zeiss Neurosurgery Operating Microscope that used GPS to locate itself....autoleveled then locked at zero. 20X the cost of these little guys but it weighed hundreds of pounds.

It was impressive to watch it go through its location and autoleveling routine....

Always wondered if we needed to level the patient a bit better.:bugeyes:

Bob

PeterL

If you can't figure out how to level your camera manually, maybe you should not use a camera at all :rolleyes:.

Cheers, -Peter

If my clients complain about the shot being askew I just tell 'em "How do you expect me to level a camera on a ROUND planet?!!!" I mean.... equilaterally tangent to the surface of the earth I can manage... but LEVEL?

</Snarky>

stephengilbert

What did you use to level the camera you used to photograph the Cube? Don't you think it would be a good idea to have a second Cube for such shots?

Stephen you are just EVIL. And I'm embarrassed to say I used Photoshop to level the second camera (though I do carry another gitzo with a geared manfrotto).

Tex

Subscriber Member
Chris, your website/blog is inspiring/educational for an amatuer. Beautiful work. Your blog is now a daily "must read".

Question: Years ago I bought a Cube from Jack - it had IMO a horrific locking lever. Has Arca changed the design?

Have a great day!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea but that lock is why I bought Arca to begin with. Having a single release i almost lost 25 in gear K about three times hitting the pavement, my workshop folks are still in disbelief i actually caught it all before hitting the deck. . I specifically bought Arca for this double release. I have it on my P1 head and I will NEVER EVER go back to anything that does not have a safety net. It maybe a pain no question but I highly recommend that release.

Thanks for your comments, Tex. I have no issues with the mechanics of the locking lever, though my first one seems to no longer "lock." I think I actually prefer the old style tightening knob variety. You didn't have any need to adjust the mechanism and I never forgot to "lock" it.

Terry

I need to get a cover to put over my cube so it doesn't get all banged up on my next trip. Anyone use a neoprene pouch or something over the top? Remember the size?

kdphotography

Terry, I use a padded lens pouch which just pulls snug over the Cube. Don snickers at my prophylactic efforts---but I like it and it works well when I don't have the tripod in its case.

ken

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I use an Optech snoot-boot WB medium 6 inch long 4.5 inch diameter
-bob

Terry

Got it thanks. I had a bunch of Zing pouches but all were too small. Last year in Iceland when everyone piled their tripods into the van it was hard to protect the cube. I thought about not taking it this year but it is so easy/nice to use/level that it just seemed silly to leave it behind.

No I wasn't planning to get the Arca Swiss leather case (that remarkably is in stock at B&H) for $239.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I use an Optech snoot-boot WB medium 6 inch long 4.5 inch diameter
-bob

Thank you Bob

That hint with the snoot-boot is very good .
As the CUBE is a very delicate head , it really needs good protection .
I used a neopren wrap up to now , but the snoot-boot is much better .:thumbup:

NOVOFLEX is the importer for OPTECH products here in Germany and they have all sizes in stock .
I ordeed the small and medium snoot-boot right away .

Jürgen

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Wrap a couple of yards of gaffer tape around one of the tripod legs
-bob