Site Sponsors

Thread: Extrernal Display for Phase one. Is it possible?

apneaimages

Extrernal Display for Phase one. Is it possible?

I always shoot tethered not becauce i have more control over the result but becauce i think the P30 have not that good display to check the photos.

I always have think why is not exising a extrernal Display, as those that are exising In Video cameras.

It would be a great idea to have a lite LCD screen attach to the flash shoe and 100% there must be a solution , or can be done to communicate trough firewire....

Hmm maybe dreams but for mew would be a exeptional solution. Now i dont know how much better the displays are in the P+ series or hasselblad ones.

Alternativ would be the smallest laptop outthere that is good for tethered shooting.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Extrernal Display for Phase one. Is it possible?

It's my (limited)understanding that you'd need C1 software driving the ability to display the image onto any external screen thus a need for a small laptop. The plus backs have slightly better screens however I only use mine to check general placement and histogram.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

apneaimages

Is it as this that u need C1? What a pitty. I check to the histogram but sometimes i see that the one i get from my camera and the one that i get in C1 is not the same. Att leats if they build one that show the proper colors would be great . My is always with a blue cast.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Are you doing a custom WB?

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Try looking at Luminous Landscape's recent review of a tiny windoze tablet PC with firewire which is about perfect for the job.

Post Thanks / Like

There are only a few options for "small" laptop-type displays-----only a few netbooks have Expresscard slots for firewire which is needed for tethering. Doug should be chiming in here shortly----I know he's posted a bit and has a good set-up for this.....

HP and Lenovo make netbooks with expresscard slots. I like this option better than the Japanese book mentioned on LL, only because the thought of foreign characters over the keyboard would probably drive me crazy....

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re preview screen:
    http://luminous-landscape.com/review...ethering.shtml
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...hlight=netbook

Re Histograms:

The P1 LCD histogram matches the "Exposure Evaluation" Histogram in C1.

There are two histograms in Capture One:
    "Exposure Evaluation" helps you determine if the back CAPTURED the detail
    "Histogram" shows the result of your current adjustments (contrast, curves etc)

Another way to say it is one is to judge the quality of the input and the other is to judge your output.

The LCD histogram and software histograms have different aspect ratios and so they "read" a bit different but they are virtually identical in content (the very end point may vary when you are right on the verge of blowing a highlight).

Note that the both "input" histograms (exposure evaluation and the LCD) are dependent on WB (also firm curve which is not often changed), so if you capture at one WB and then later evaluate at another in C1 they will not match.

Also, very importantly, the "highlight warning" is very very accurate in showing you the last point at which clean textural detail is recorded (given a subject with modest textural contrast). After the blinking on the LCD you only get tonal detail.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    The P1 LCD histogram matches the "Exposure Evaluation" Histogram in C1.

There are two histograms in Capture One:
    "Exposure Evaluation" helps you determine if the back CAPTURED the detail
    "Histogram" shows the result of your current adjustments (contrast, curves etc)
    Doug, sorry to comment here but this is not quite right.
    The Back shows the histogram as the "exposure evaluation" in Capture One - but only if you set the film curve to "linear response".
    The Back has no "standard film curve" on the one hand and the "exposure evaluation" on the other hand is affected by the film curve you set. "Exposure Evaluation" is not affected by all other adjustments, that's right.
    But it's usefull to note that the Back shows the histogram like "exposure evalution" when you set the linear response" film curve.
    Regards, Thomas