The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What makes your MF system tick for you?

You can make multiply choices here so. So mark the items you find most important

• Body

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • Lenses

Votes: 37 80.4%
  • Back Type or Size

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • Software

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • System Parts and accessories

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Dealer or Retailer

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Flexibility and Integration

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Price

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Image factor

Votes: 25 54.3%
  • Service and Support

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That may be different. MFDBs are slow. Lower ISO, lower framerates, slower workflow. Question is: are they too slow. For my purposes: no, not too slow. Others have totally different demands and that's certainly okay as well.
I agree Thomas some have completely different demands of there gear. I would not mind a little faster shooting speed actually reason I am looking at the P40+ which BTW will be at my door tomorrow for next weeks workshop so I get a chance to play with it before I go. So actually I will have 3 backs tomorrow P30+, P40+ and a P45+. Doug and Chris shipped them overnight to me from CI so they are here in Arizona for next week. Lightens Dougs travel load with all his toys he is bringing along for folks to try out.

Don Libby

Why can't people add that the following is their opinion they're expressing when they start to pontificate on an issue instead of making it appear to be factually based?

Agreed - come to a workshop

Just my 2¢ worth on the subject.

Don

pcunite

Gentlemen, thanks for letting me speak. Just to confirm... I can see a difference in MFD... I still want one. I just can't see paying for it! I can make a wonderful image from 35mm as long as my four points in MFD's defense are not needed.

Ever take a drive in a Ferrari? It will make you want one. But you don't need it. Hence my advise to curb one's lust.

thomas

I just can't see paying for it!
valid reason, of course. Refurbished or used backs are less expensive but I certainly don't tell you any news herewith.

Ever take a drive in a Ferrari? It will make you want one. But you don't need it. Hence my advise to curb one's lust.
If you need to drive fast, you need one. That simple. If you need high resolution without stitching multiple frames, MFDB is an obvious solution.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The issue is and not just here but on every forum in every thread related to this same topic that has been talked about a gazillion times and until we are blue in the face about it. You just have to see it in real life and i admit workshops and not a plug but they are excellent ways to compare systems across the board shooting relatively the same things among other folks in the group. For example next week we have three Sony A900, 1 Canon 5DII, I Nikon 1d3x, M8 and Phase backs P30+, P40+ and a P45+. Plus some others but the point her is you can see what all these systems are doing and how they are conveying the same scenes even amongst the 35mm camera and also the MF stuff. We may have a Hassy in here as well. Also a cambo with the digitars will be on hand. So a lot of gear with several days to look at what folks are doing and all working within basically the same raw processing. This is a great avenue to actually see this stuff, so workshops or demo's are really the only way to make these kinds of comparisons. i could tell you or anyone else a million things and it comes down to trusting those opinions on the forums or not because it can't always be shown and that is hard for some folks. Honestly as known as I am and part owner of this forum plus been shooting digital since 1992 do you trust every word I say. It's okay to say no and perfectly a prime example of what the internet is, sure I maybe better at this than most of the population but you still have doubts and you should have doubts. So until your out in the field with them than you really will never know, these forums are a excellent source for data and a excellent way to learn about it all but until it is in your hands don't believe everything you read just like anything else.
Now i will plug this forum and it's members because there truly is very little BS going on here. That is a credit to the members they are very well knowledged and honest

evgeny

I was never being able to create images equal Contax 645 with Nikon 17-35mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, and 50mm 1.4 (this small lens is the most close to the 645 look).

kdphotography

...Just to confirm... I can see a difference in MFD... I still want one. I just can't see paying for it! ....you don't need it. Hence my advise to curb one's lust.
Well, at the other extreme, in my opinion, is that no one ever needs anything materially. And without getting into the MFDB - DSLR fray, sometimes it is worthwhile to recognize that life is too short not to play a little and enjoy.

Excuse me while I go give Chris a call and check on the Cube....

:D

etrump

This post is off topic so I apologize in advance:

There are only four rational gains from using MFD:

No one is able to tell a MFD image from one shot on lowly Canon/Nikon gear anymore if good technique and light are used.

More statements that demonstrate I have no idea what I am talking about. :confused:

These statements remind me of a post on LL in which a guy had similar rants. He posted an image of his Nikon rep from both a D3x and Leaf back with similar resolutions and said he couldn't tell the difference. The Leaf image was so much better in clarity, color, realism and 3d appearance that they made the case themselves. It is beyond me that the guy posting it could even make the statements that he could not tell the difference. (In his defense, there was a moire issue in the leaf image.)

Don't get me wrong, the current high end offerings in 35mm digital are all wonderful cameras and the glass keeps getting better. The jump in image quality from the previous generation of these cameras and optics is incredible. World class photographers use these systems with superb results and most MF shooters own a 35mm kit and use them where they are most appropriate.

That said, don't think for a minute that they compare to the current technology in MF digital. Unless you have used them, worked with the files and compared prints side-by-side you simply cannot make a judgement call.

Testing labs don't necessarily quantify them in scientific terms but the viewing experience is worlds apart. The larger the print and more detailed the subject the better things get.

Surely you don't think hundreds of the most gifted photographers in the world would spend $60,000+ on a camera system if it didn't provide a substantial improvement in quality over a $10k-$15k 35mm kit.

Graham Mitchell

There are only four rational gains from using MFD:
* Printing large.
* Ability to crop the heck out of the image.
* More pixels to push around in photoshop if radically changing things.
* Possible sharper image overall assuming exquisite technique.
Add:

- larger viewfinder
- fast flash sync with leaf shutters
- ability to use back on view camera or other platforms (with some systems)
- easier sensor cleaning
- lack of AA filter
- generally more dynamic range
- option of waist-level or 45 degree finders
- not having to rotate the whole camera when shooting in portrait mode (with some systems)
- there are features which the Hy6 has, for example, which Canon does not, afaik, such as focus bracketing/focus trap

etrump

In regards to shooting speed, depending on your shoot workflow you could say that 35mm is slower.

The burst speed is great for sports and wildlife but not much use for fashion where a slight pause for pose change fits very well. Especially when you get in a groove and shoot for an extended period without delay or disruptions for the burst buffer to flush.

I have been to a few fashion shoots where the model, director and photographer get really synced and magic starts happening.

PeterA

Mr OP : I just like being able to use Scheider and Rodenstock glass that doesn't hang off a camera body with a mirror box - thats all you need to understand - to either get digi backs as film on a technical or view camera or not- really thats all you need to know - and if you still dont get it ..
well I guess thats a very limited perspective on things..

gogopix

Subscriber
Dear Peter

Excellent point on the schneider/Rodey etc with MFDB. Exactly why I find 90% I use the Phase back either on Contax or Alpa. It is what I am taking this week to My Blanc on a trek. I found the Alpa (which on P65+ uses ZERO latency and no wakeup!) a great asset in Wales last year.

SPEAKING of Contax, just HAD to comment that I am the 4th person on this thread using, and mentioning Contax....Didn't notice others, but I think we of the Contax persuasion feel a bit defensive using a dead system :D

BTW does anyone have any contact at Kyocera or Zeiss? After all this talk, it may just be worth revisiting a revival. And heck, I could go for manufacture in Japan-they did a great job the first time around.

Peter, any interest in discussing with your financial friends?

regards
Victor

PS: I assume "Image Factor" is the "I use better equipment" issue. Where is IQ? THAT is the main reason I bet we use it (it is why I do.)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One other thing I like a lot about my current system -- it's already paid for!

PeterA

Vic - image circle against ANy current MFD chip pretty much gives you limits of view camera use and lens. For me this means keeping the Alpa and Schneiders for flat wide shots and flat stitches. With 50mm + focal lengths - after the weekends shooting - I have ordered my arTec - it is fantastic!!!:thumbup:

Seems like you will be trekking just north of where i will be sailing in July :) Enjoy your holidays.

re paid for gear( totally agree) - i am looking forward to many years of depreciation in my hands with the stuff I already own :angel: 30 -40 megapixels is all I need for 10 foot long panoramas-:):D

Best
Pete

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
I shoot different with DB than with DSLR, and most people I know can confirm that shooting MFDB slows you down in your approach of the scenery, which can be a good thing.

carstenw

Yes, definitely. When I come back with my Contax 645 after many hours, one roll of film is a good performance. On the other hand, my keeper-rate goes way up, to about 1:2.

Frank Doorhof

Hi,
Due to some misfortune on my part with a dealer I voted dealer as one of the most important.
On number one however is always image quality and I go really into extremes for that, at the moment I'm shooting a RZ67ProII with a Leaf aptus back simply because I find the quality better than my AFD/III camera, the different workflow I take as not weighting up against the final results which are great :D

Next is body.
I for one like the ergonomics of the AFD/III but am looking forward to the new camera for the vertical grip, especially in what I do the vertical grip makes sense.

And also important of course flexibility, being able to shoot on the card and tethered are very important.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Awww. Hi Frank :) Nice to see you around here!

I visited phase one in cologne last month, and Heinz Papst hopes that around August the vertical grip is ready to be shipped. Yeah, for your work it is a must have, of course!