Site Sponsors

View Poll Results: You can make multiply choices here so. So mark the items you find most important

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Body

25 44.64%
  • Lenses

47 83.93%
  • Back Type or Size

27 48.21%
  • Software

16 28.57%
  • System Parts and accessories

10 17.86%
  • Dealer or Retailer

8 14.29%
  • Flexibility and Integration

19 33.93%
  • Price

19 33.93%
  • Image factor

28 50.00%
  • Service and Support

13 23.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What makes your MF system tick for you?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What makes your MF system tick for you?

I thought this maybe a interesting idea to see what actually made you buy or thinking of buying a MF system. There are many parts involved here to making a decision on what is important and what is less so. So this could be any system you are working with but where is the most value or most important part of it. Let's do a poll here and just mark the most important aspects and leave the rest blank. There is no right or wrong answer here but what something like this can tell us is what part of the system are we putting the most buying decision on or the most value on. Obviously you can describe your thoughts more precisely in a post but just like to see the pure numbers part that can tell us this data i think would be interesting to us and the folks that make them.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What makes your MF system tick for you?

Good idea, Guy. Some of us still "fence sitting" would be curious to see what folks are thinking.

Note: You have "Software" posted twice. Might be that important ;-) Could change one to something like "Flexibility and Integration" or something like that, but those items may be covered in your "System Parts and Accessories" section. (Just thinking about some kits that can permit use of a greater variety of lenses and stuff, versus those that are much more restricted to certain glass and such.) Just a thought.

LJ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting. While I like the choices I can't help but think you could have added another. What about the image factor? I knew that switching from Canon 1Ds to MF for my landscape work I wanted not only the larger size but the DR that comes from MF as well.

This should prove to be very interesting - what they have a special on band width?

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay made both changes
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was only on my first espresso when I wrote this. I would pick about 5 or so choices as your top votes. That way it balances better since I made it multiple choice. I am limited on how to set these up would be better to have a value number but software can't do that

Post Thanks / Like

No problem, Guy. You know this bunch of folks....always willing to tweak and add to eek out a bit more ;-) I think it will show some interesting things as folks think about what is important to them. We may see it all get blended into everything being important, but so be it....that is good to know also.

LJ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Can I vote again?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    Can I vote again?
    Hmmm I can ban you 6 times relist you 7 times, than give you two yellow cards and 1 red and it just may work.

Heck I don't know. JACK

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I give. UNCLE!!!!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately the cookies prevent it, only way I know is to start a new poll. Which maybe isn't a bad idea because I need to re-vote too!

One other thing to consider adding is system size/weight and control layout...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Unfortunately the cookies prevent it, only way I know is to start a new poll. Which maybe isn't a bad idea because I need to re-vote too!

One other thing to consider adding is system size/weight and control layout...
    If you do this why not just add the "looking really cool factor"
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I voted for System Parts/Accessories, Flexibility/Integration and Lenses.
    I use a Contax and a Cambo WRS.
    If the Contax wouldn't be available anymore I doubt that I would buy a Medium Format camera at all. I'd use the Cambo (or similar small, light view camera) with the P45 and would buy a Sony A900.
    What I really like very much - and I would never spend any money in a medium format camera that doesn't provide these features - is the aperture ring on the lens and - much more important - an additional waist level finder and an easy to change screen. Damn, even for my old Pentax LX I had different finders and screens. To me (beside that modern aperture dial I don't want to get used to) this is really one of the things I miss in all current camera systems (of any format and any brand... except of the Hy6).
    Too, there are nice little things as e.g. the bellows lens hood for the Contax. Though discontinued to me Contax seems to be one of the most complete MF systems.
    I recently decided against a DSLR and instead bought the P21+. So the Contax with this back is my "available light" and "highspeed camera
    No, seriously: the ISO400 is nice and even the ISO800 is still usable for certain things. And the speed is enough for me personally. The Contax is a small camera and with a Phase back it's not really bulkier than any current DSLR. So instead of buying a new system with lenses and accessories I just decided to purchase a "small" back for hand held shooting with less light. By now I think that was the right decision...
    Regards, Thomas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I sort of did the same thing . Got the P30+ for speed and higher ISO and frankly is very equivalent in size , weight to a Nikon D series or Canon 1 series system. For all the whining about MF systems being slow, heavy and this or that it truly is a bunch of BS in many ways. Seriously there is very little I can't do with it and for me with ONE system it serves it's purpose.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for my Contax 645 with the Sinar back I am hoping to buy. Cheating, a little, since I don't have it yet, but the reasons are real.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love to know your Pro's and Con's on your back decision. Maybe start a thread on that be interesting to see why some decided on a certain back over the other brands.

Post Thanks / Like

There are only four rational gains from using MFD:
    * Printing large.
    * Ability to crop the heck out of the image.
    * More pixels to push around in photoshop if radically changing things.
    * Possible sharper image overall assuming exquisite technique.

Everything else is hardly quantifiable. If you like viewing images at 100% on your monitor and zooming in all the way to the grass blades in the back then it is your $40k to do with as you see fit. No one is able to tell a MFD image from one shot on lowly Canon/Nikon gear anymore if good technique and light are used. The falling prices of MFD gear and the dire straights of manufactures who produce this equipment relate this as well.

If you can pay for your equipment in 6 months then it does not matter what you buy. For everyone else it would be very prudent to curb one's lust for MFD. Those of you who own MFD no doubt need to affirm each other of your outrageous purchases with threads like these. I enjoy these threads also. But please send clear messages to those looking at MFD for the first time by letting them know the real advantages and major disadvantages of the medium.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pcunite View Post
    TNo one is able to tell a MFD image from one shot on lowly Canon/Nikon gear anymore if good technique and light are used.
    Ah yes, the old "I can't see the difference, therefore no one can" argument. I think you are in the wrong forum. This forum consists almost entirely of people who *can* see the difference.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's just to damn long to write that all out. Come to a workshop I WILL SHOW YOU. LOL

It's the same old stuff coming from 35mm shooters to be real honest been there done that more time than I can count. This is even more so in digital than it was in film because we have different DR factors and all that stuff. This is not ONLY about detail and folks need to get past that is all we care about. One factor of many.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    For all the whining about MF systems being slow, heavy and this or that it truly is a bunch of BS in many ways. Seriously there is very little I can't do with it and for me with ONE system it serves it's purpose.
    That may be different. MFDBs are slow. Lower ISO, lower framerates, slower workflow. Question is: are they too slow. For my purposes: no, not too slow. Others have totally different demands and that's certainly okay as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

* Printing large.
    let's add:
    * virtually no noise at native ISO
    * clean blacks and super fine transitions in dark tonal values
    * possibly higher DR
    ... and the "look" ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    That may be different. MFDBs are slow. Lower ISO, lower framerates, slower workflow. Question is: are they too slow. For my purposes: no, not too slow. Others have totally different demands and that's certainly okay as well.
    I agree Thomas some have completely different demands of there gear. I would not mind a little faster shooting speed actually reason I am looking at the P40+ which BTW will be at my door tomorrow for next weeks workshop so I get a chance to play with it before I go. So actually I will have 3 backs tomorrow P30+, P40+ and a P45+. Doug and Chris shipped them overnight to me from CI so they are here in Arizona for next week. Lightens Dougs travel load with all his toys he is bringing along for folks to try out.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Why can't people add that the following is their opinion they're expressing when they start to pontificate on an issue instead of making it appear to be factually based?

Agreed - come to a workshop

Just my 2 worth on the subject.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen, thanks for letting me speak. Just to confirm... I can see a difference in MFD... I still want one. I just can't see paying for it! I can make a wonderful image from 35mm as long as my four points in MFD's defense are not needed.

Ever take a drive in a Ferrari? It will make you want one. But you don't need it. Hence my advise to curb one's lust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just can't see paying for it!
    valid reason, of course. Refurbished or used backs are less expensive but I certainly don't tell you any news herewith.

Ever take a drive in a Ferrari? It will make you want one. But you don't need it. Hence my advise to curb one's lust.
    If you need to drive fast, you need one. That simple. If you need high resolution without stitching multiple frames, MFDB is an obvious solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The issue is and not just here but on every forum in every thread related to this same topic that has been talked about a gazillion times and until we are blue in the face about it. You just have to see it in real life and i admit workshops and not a plug but they are excellent ways to compare systems across the board shooting relatively the same things among other folks in the group. For example next week we have three Sony A900, 1 Canon 5DII, I Nikon 1d3x, M8 and Phase backs P30+, P40+ and a P45+. Plus some others but the point her is you can see what all these systems are doing and how they are conveying the same scenes even amongst the 35mm camera and also the MF stuff. We may have a Hassy in here as well. Also a cambo with the digitars will be on hand. So a lot of gear with several days to look at what folks are doing and all working within basically the same raw processing. This is a great avenue to actually see this stuff, so workshops or demo's are really the only way to make these kinds of comparisons. i could tell you or anyone else a million things and it comes down to trusting those opinions on the forums or not because it can't always be shown and that is hard for some folks. Honestly as known as I am and part owner of this forum plus been shooting digital since 1992 do you trust every word I say. It's okay to say no and perfectly a prime example of what the internet is, sure I maybe better at this than most of the population but you still have doubts and you should have doubts. So until your out in the field with them than you really will never know, these forums are a excellent source for data and a excellent way to learn about it all but until it is in your hands don't believe everything you read just like anything else.
    Now i will plug this forum and it's members because there truly is very little BS going on here. That is a credit to the members they are very well knowledged and honest

Post Thanks / Like

I was never being able to create images equal Contax 645 with Nikon 17-35mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, and 50mm 1.4 (this small lens is the most close to the 645 look).

Post Thanks / Like

...Just to confirm... I can see a difference in MFD... I still want one. I just can't see paying for it! ....you don't need it. Hence my advise to curb one's lust.
    Well, at the other extreme, in my opinion, is that no one ever needs anything materially. And without getting into the MFDB - DSLR fray, sometimes it is worthwhile to recognize that life is too short not to play a little and enjoy.

Excuse me while I go give Chris a call and check on the Cube....

Post Thanks / Like

This post is off topic so I apologize in advance:

No one is able to tell a MFD image from one shot on lowly Canon/Nikon gear anymore if good technique and light are used.

More statements that demonstrate I have no idea what I am talking about.

These statements remind me of a post on LL in which a guy had similar rants. He posted an image of his Nikon rep from both a D3x and Leaf back with similar resolutions and said he couldn't tell the difference. The Leaf image was so much better in clarity, color, realism and 3d appearance that they made the case themselves. It is beyond me that the guy posting it could even make the statements that he could not tell the difference. (In his defense, there was a moire issue in the leaf image.)

Don't get me wrong, the current high end offerings in 35mm digital are all wonderful cameras and the glass keeps getting better. The jump in image quality from the previous generation of these cameras and optics is incredible. World class photographers use these systems with superb results and most MF shooters own a 35mm kit and use them where they are most appropriate.

That said, don't think for a minute that they compare to the current technology in MF digital. Unless you have used them, worked with the files and compared prints side-by-side you simply cannot make a judgement call.

Testing labs don't necessarily quantify them in scientific terms but the viewing experience is worlds apart. The larger the print and more detailed the subject the better things get.

Surely you don't think hundreds of the most gifted photographers in the world would spend $60,000+ on a camera system if it didn't provide a substantial improvement in quality over a $10k-$15k 35mm kit.

Post Thanks / Like

* Printing large.
    Add:

- larger viewfinder
    - fast flash sync with leaf shutters
    - ability to use back on view camera or other platforms (with some systems)
    - easier sensor cleaning
    - lack of AA filter
    - generally more dynamic range
    - option of waist-level or 45 degree finders
    - not having to rotate the whole camera when shooting in portrait mode (with some systems)
    - there are features which the Hy6 has, for example, which Canon does not, afaik, such as focus bracketing/focus trap

Post Thanks / Like

In regards to shooting speed, depending on your shoot workflow you could say that 35mm is slower.

The burst speed is great for sports and wildlife but not much use for fashion where a slight pause for pose change fits very well. Especially when you get in a groove and shoot for an extended period without delay or disruptions for the burst buffer to flush.

I have been to a few fashion shoots where the model, director and photographer get really synced and magic starts happening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mr OP : I just like being able to use Scheider and Rodenstock glass that doesn't hang off a camera body with a mirror box - thats all you need to understand - to either get digi backs as film on a technical or view camera or not- really thats all you need to know - and if you still dont get it ..
    well I guess thats a very limited perspective on things..

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Peter

Excellent point on the schneider/Rodey etc with MFDB. Exactly why I find 90% I use the Phase back either on Contax or Alpa. It is what I am taking this week to My Blanc on a trek. I found the Alpa (which on P65+ uses ZERO latency and no wakeup!) a great asset in Wales last year.

SPEAKING of Contax, just HAD to comment that I am the 4th person on this thread using, and mentioning Contax....Didn't notice others, but I think we of the Contax persuasion feel a bit defensive using a dead system

BTW does anyone have any contact at Kyocera or Zeiss? After all this talk, it may just be worth revisiting a revival. And heck, I could go for manufacture in Japan-they did a great job the first time around.

Peter, any interest in discussing with your financial friends?

regards
    Victor

PS: I assume "Image Factor" is the "I use better equipment" issue. Where is IQ? THAT is the main reason I bet we use it (it is why I do.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One other thing I like a lot about my current system -- it's already paid for!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Plus a good trade in value

Blas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlasR View Post
    Plus a good trade in value

Blas
    Very good point!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vic - image circle against ANy current MFD chip pretty much gives you limits of view camera use and lens. For me this means keeping the Alpa and Schneiders for flat wide shots and flat stitches. With 50mm + focal lengths - after the weekends shooting - I have ordered my arTec - it is fantastic!!!

Seems like you will be trekking just north of where i will be sailing in July Enjoy your holidays.

re paid for gear( totally agree) - i am looking forward to many years of depreciation in my hands with the stuff I already own 30 -40 megapixels is all I need for 10 foot long panoramas-

Best
    Pete

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shoot different with DB than with DSLR, and most people I know can confirm that shooting MFDB slows you down in your approach of the scenery, which can be a good thing.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, definitely. When I come back with my Contax 645 after many hours, one roll of film is a good performance. On the other hand, my keeper-rate goes way up, to about 1:2.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Due to some misfortune on my part with a dealer I voted dealer as one of the most important.
    On number one however is always image quality and I go really into extremes for that, at the moment I'm shooting a RZ67ProII with a Leaf aptus back simply because I find the quality better than my AFD/III camera, the different workflow I take as not weighting up against the final results which are great

Next is body.
    I for one like the ergonomics of the AFD/III but am looking forward to the new camera for the vertical grip, especially in what I do the vertical grip makes sense.

And also important of course flexibility, being able to shoot on the card and tethered are very important.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awww. Hi Frank Nice to see you around here!

I visited phase one in cologne last month, and Heinz Papst hopes that around August the vertical grip is ready to be shipped. Yeah, for your work it is a must have, of course!

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I know since yesterday that I'm keeping my Mamiya gear.
    I was planning on selling everything and maybe switch to Hasselblads H2 with the Leaf but now that Leaf is a Phase one company I'm thinking about buying the new camera as soon as it's available and keep the AFD/III as backup (If I ever get it back from repairs )

So to be honest I'm just now looking at the whole Phase camera thing with a new eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frank,

reading between your lines....

if you should have trouble with phase one gear and are reasonably not happy with response times, send me a PM and I gladly bring you in contact with some chaps I know... hoping they might be able to help....

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    the problems I'm having at the moment are with my Mamiya afd3 body.
    I'm probably buying a phase one body when the new camera is released. I don't want to go into details on the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Besides the new vertical grip, I was told they improved the AF as well, should be pleasing you for your line of work in deed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    Besides the new vertical grip, I was told they improved the AF as well, should be pleasing you for your line of work in deed!
    Does anyone have any information (link) about the new Phase One camera??

Post Thanks / Like

I'm now shooting with a borrowed AFD I untill my AFD/III is back and although I'm glad I can shoot on location with a lighter camera than the RZ man that AF is bad
    The AFD/II was better and the AFD/III is much better, this is the first time I shot with the AFD/I and I can understand why people don't like it

The new camera is very high on my wish list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL you said a mouth full Frank. The AFD is a turtle slow camera and when you go from the III it makes it even more obvious. I like the III but certainly I think every III owner would say improvements and/or new body would be welcome . But i think any camera owner of any system would say the same thing. I hold that III for a long time sometimes actually yesterday 6 hours worth and it could be more hand friendly

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

There's a car commercial where the actor asks the simple question - "when you turn your car on does it return the favor?"

I tend to see the same in my camera gear. I normally have the WRS sitting on the tripod in my living room as I generally see it as a piece of art as well as being on the ready for then the mountains out my rack yard light up. And I never tire of seeing the setup so the answer to the commercial's question is yes.

I think I've finally found the perfect mix of lens, body and back. The lenses I have are all more than capable of outstanding results - so long as I keep my end of the deal; the body is - well I believe it's "perfect for me" [what may be perfect for me mightn't work for everyone]. The third part is the back and like the lenses is more than capable of outstanding results so long as I keep my end of the deal. [This is not to say that I'm not interested in the newer backs from Phase, primarily the P65.]

Software, dealer [which in my opinion includes service and support] and manufacture all bring a lot to the table as without these there simply wouldn't be the main three items above.

Price [at least for me] is the least important and I'm not made of money either. Yes it's important however buy right the first time and save money in the long run; this is where the art of negotiation enters into the mix. Landscape photography is not my hobby it's my career and one I take seriously so when I decide on a set of tools I want the very best I can afford so I do my due diligence researching, testing the tools as well as understanding the market values. This is where finding the right dealer is so important.

I decided early on that I wanted a dealer that specializes in one medium format back so if/when there was a problem and I called I wouldn't find that the guy that specializes in that back didn't show up for work however the other guy would attempt to help me out. I also wanted a dealer that had a good reputation, not only with the manufacture but more importantly their customers. It's one thing to be named "dealer of the year" it's another having the loyalty of their customers. All this come at a price. A price that is well worth it.

There you have it, my little dissertation on what makes my MF system tick for me. When I turn it on it returns the favor.

Don

It's also interesting to me that currently "Price" is 32.69% to "Service and Support" is 23.08% I figured it would be the other way around.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    This is not to say that I'm not interested in the newer backs from Phase, primarily the P65.
    Don, in how far do you think the P65+ could be an improvement for you?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Don, in how far do you think the P65+ could be an improvement for you?
    Thomas

I'm afraid the answer is rather subjective. I like the idea of having the extra megapixels the P65 has as well as the slightly larger frame size. I also like what I've read about the LCC. Now that I understand the sensor+ and binning a little better (thanks to Ken Doo) I can see some applications where I could use this. What I don't like is the limitation on the exposure time.

While I am interested in the P65 I am also not ready to jump ship from my very trusty P45+ for it. I'd need to really use the P65 a heck of a lot more before I do.

Hope this answers the question..

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ