Site Sponsors

Thread: Mamiya 55-110mm AF lens for 645

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mamiya 55-110mm AF lens for 645

I want to use this lens on P1 camera shooting to P30+ back. Anyone using this combo for advertising and product shoots? how is IQ ans sharpness? Any samples to share?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mamiya 55-110mm AF lens for 645

I will preface my comments by saying that I sold my 55-110 weeks ago. I felt that the lens was OK--nothing breathtaking. I found my 80mm very comparable, so decided to keep use the 80mm for because it was lighter and tend to hunt far far less.'

I plan on getting the 55mm to accompany my 80 and 105-210mm. That would be all I would need!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have owned three versions of the 55-110, and can tell you there is sample to sample to variation. I like my current one, and it is good enough when stopped down to f8 or beyond that I sold my 55 prime and rarely carry my 80 unless I know I want the faster aperture... However, if you need to shoot wider than f8, I'd stick with the primes.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems like I should avoid this lens. The hassle of finding a good copy may just be too painful.

Thanks guys for you feedback.
    Last edited by Henry Goh; 14th June 2009 at 21:00.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it will be as difficult as you think to get a good copy of this lens. And if I recall, I remember reading somewhere that the lens could be calibrated... My copy is good. Works well and is a flexible lens. Not nearly as good as any of the D series lenses.

That being said, This lens is not my favorite. It works well for me when I need to use it, but it's not a lens that I reach for---it just ends up being used because it is the only one handy, and gets the job done. (I wouldn't use it for advertising and products, though)

Maybe it is a bit harsh for me to describe it as the Denny's of Mamiya lenses. You never go out to eat at a Denny's restaurant. You just end up there because nothing else is available at the time. You eat, you're satisfied, you go back home. Done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Ken. I understand what you mean.