The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

looking for free...

gogopix

Subscriber
advice? opinion?

On a workshop site unfair to ask, but I am sure Guy and Jack won't begrudge me a little input on
lenses for the wild.
I do mostly mix trek and city-same this time, except there's lots of climbing so weight is and issue (I take an extra lens, or lunch.. not both! :ROTFL:)

I plan on the Contax and the Alpa and the P65+ (maybe a film back as hedge. The 80mm seems a no brainer.

If I take 35mm schneider, likely can leave the heavy 35mm home
so nwhat for long and wide?

maybe the 250mm hassey?
I have 35,45,55 contax, but maybe the three; 2 contax and one schneider will do.

Any ideas?

Regards
Victor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Begrudge you asking a question about gear? :wtf: Not likely!

I hike with my gear all the time -- well not as much now as I used to -- here are some thoughts.

Yes, you want to keep weight to a minimum... (This is but one of the reasons I chose my MF system over other options, the lenses are lighter weight.) For me, this means one body and as few lenses as I can reasonably get away with. In my case for MF landscape, I would take my Mamiya body, the 35 prime, 55-110 and 75-150 zooms and that is it... Unless I knew for certain I would need wider and longer, then I'd maybe add a 28 or a 210 but not longer. If you don't own zooms, then I'd pick my 3 most used focals, (in my case 55, 80 and 150) and only add a 28 or 35 if I knew I'd need it. OTOH, if I owned a tech camera, I might take it over the SLR body, in which case I would also take only three lenses, a 47, 72 and 120. Again, if I knew there was a reason, I might add the 24, but probably would not carry anything longer than the 120.

What I would *NOT* do is carry both the SLR plus lenses AND a tech camera plus lenses! (But that's me.)

carstenw

In case you insist on bringing both Contax and Alpa, then I would say 35/55/250 for the Contax, and forget the 45 and 80. Do you use the 80 that much? Do you use the 250 that much? Don't you have a middle tele, like 110/2 w/ adapter or 140?

I don't know anything about the Alpa :)

gogopix

Subscriber
In case you insist on bringing both Contax and Alpa, then I would say 35/55/250 for the Contax, and forget the 45 and 80. Do you use the 80 that much? Do you use the 250 that much? Don't you have a middle tele, like 110/2 w/ adapter or 140?

I don't know anything about the Alpa :)
interesting using the 55 over th 80
you may be right- amedium WA (like the 45 as Jack says) behaves like a 28-and th 28mm is my most comfortable 'walkaround lens

As for tech-well the whole alpa plus schneider and back is smaller than just the 35mm contax lens!
chanhing backs is a pain though
Wonder if Dave would rentr me a 'backup back' say a 30+ or even a 25?
(Doug, think he would? :)

anyway, good ideas. maybe the 80 (though small may be limiting)

as for tele, the 120-140 plus 1.4 mutar is not really great or fast. maybe the 140+1.4 then I would hove 35, 45, 140, 200

hmmmmm

Victor