Site Sponsors

Thread: looking for free...

Post Thanks / Like

looking for free...

advice? opinion?

On a workshop site unfair to ask, but I am sure Guy and Jack won't begrudge me a little input on
    lenses for the wild.
    I do mostly mix trek and city-same this time, except there's lots of climbing so weight is and issue (I take an extra lens, or lunch.. not both! )

I plan on the Contax and the Alpa and the P65+ (maybe a film back as hedge. The 80mm seems a no brainer.

If I take 35mm schneider, likely can leave the heavy 35mm home
    so nwhat for long and wide?

maybe the 250mm hassey?
    I have 35,45,55 contax, but maybe the three; 2 contax and one schneider will do.

Any ideas?

Regards
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: looking for free...

Begrudge you asking a question about gear? Not likely!

I hike with my gear all the time -- well not as much now as I used to -- here are some thoughts.

Yes, you want to keep weight to a minimum... (This is but one of the reasons I chose my MF system over other options, the lenses are lighter weight.) For me, this means one body and as few lenses as I can reasonably get away with. In my case for MF landscape, I would take my Mamiya body, the 35 prime, 55-110 and 75-150 zooms and that is it... Unless I knew for certain I would need wider and longer, then I'd maybe add a 28 or a 210 but not longer. If you don't own zooms, then I'd pick my 3 most used focals, (in my case 55, 80 and 150) and only add a 28 or 35 if I knew I'd need it. OTOH, if I owned a tech camera, I might take it over the SLR body, in which case I would also take only three lenses, a 47, 72 and 120. Again, if I knew there was a reason, I might add the 24, but probably would not carry anything longer than the 120.

What I would *NOT* do is carry both the SLR plus lenses AND a tech camera plus lenses! (But that's me.)
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

In case you insist on bringing both Contax and Alpa, then I would say 35/55/250 for the Contax, and forget the 45 and 80. Do you use the 80 that much? Do you use the 250 that much? Don't you have a middle tele, like 110/2 w/ adapter or 140?

I don't know anything about the Alpa
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    In case you insist on bringing both Contax and Alpa, then I would say 35/55/250 for the Contax, and forget the 45 and 80. Do you use the 80 that much? Do you use the 250 that much? Don't you have a middle tele, like 110/2 w/ adapter or 140?

I don't know anything about the Alpa
    interesting using the 55 over th 80
    you may be right- amedium WA (like the 45 as Jack says) behaves like a 28-and th 28mm is my most comfortable 'walkaround lens

As for tech-well the whole alpa plus schneider and back is smaller than just the 35mm contax lens!
    chanhing backs is a pain though
    Wonder if Dave would rentr me a 'backup back' say a 30+ or even a 25?
    (Doug, think he would? :-)

anyway, good ideas. maybe the 80 (though small may be limiting)

as for tele, the 120-140 plus 1.4 mutar is not really great or fast. maybe the 140+1.4 then I would hove 35, 45, 140, 200

hmmmmm

Victor