Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Testing the 120mm lens on the WDS/WRS

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32 31' 37.06" N, 111 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Testing the 120mm lens on the WDS/WRS

    Today has been the first day I've been able to really put the 120mm lens to a good test. The first image was shot from the same hilltop I had shot from a couple days ago using the 72mm and the second is the 100% crop of the church. Again, this image was taken several miles away from the church.





    I also used the groundglass extensively today to frame the image as well as filter placement. The one thing I've figured out today is I need more pockets to hold the back and groundglass. We may not have a sliding back for the WDS or WRS however if you plan it right it is very doable.

    The other images are single capture images with the last image a 3-shot panorama.









    Bottom line is I'd recommend this lens to those wanting a longer lens for their WDS or WRS.

    Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  2. #2
    Member Chris Barrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Testing the 120mm lens on the WDS/WRS

    Totally dig the Black/White one, Don. And spinning off your own tangent... how do you folks handle your back when off camera? Just put it back in your case? Have a quickdraw Phase Holster? What about a second adapter plate JB Welded to your tripod? Since I mostly shoot interiors, I'll often just remove the back (adapter plate and all) and lay it on a nearby table *gasp*

    -

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32 31' 37.06" N, 111 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Testing the 120mm lens on the WDS/WRS

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    Totally dig the Black/White one, Don. And spinning off your own tangent... how do you folks handle your back when off camera? Just put it back in your case? Have a quickdraw Phase Holster? What about a second adapter plate JB Welded to your tripod? Since I mostly shoot interiors, I'll often just remove the back (adapter plate and all) and lay it on a nearby table *gasp*

    -
    Chris

    I always shoot wearing cargo pants (has large sq pockets, one on each leg above the knee). I used to also use a photographer's vest when I was shooting 35mm but slowly got away from it. (I'm rethinking the vest)

    What I found myself doing today in the field was placing the back on one pocket and the adapter in another. I start out with the groundglass attached and filters on my belt. I'd work the image up the way I want it, position and filter, then quickly and carefully remove the groundglass placing that in an empty pocket, move to the pocket with the adapter and snap that back in place then go for the pocket with the back, remove the cover and snap that in place. I've made a very strong suggestion to Cambo via Chris at Capture Integration that we need a cover of some sort that will protect the back attached to the adapter instead of having to separate them thus adding more time for the rear of the lens to be open to the elements and in general be safer for the digital back.

    I've found that I'm blowing the back off several times while I'm in the enclosed area of the Jeep, sometimes because it needed it and most of the times because I'm anal.

    I do like working with the groundglass as it opens up the use of filters. I can see what effect I'm having with either a single or stacking them for an affect.

    The b&w was shot with the Cokin filter (P-007 (89B)) system using various step-rings.

    This slows the capture way down even more than before however in certain circumstances I feel its well worthwhile.

    Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Testing the 120mm lens on the WDS/WRS

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    how do you folks handle your back when off camera? Just put it back in your case?
    that is what I do, yes. It's a bit of a PITA factor... you mount the groundglass (on its own interface), compose, remove it, mount the back interface, mount the back (or first mount the back on the interface and then mount it all together on the camera). That's okay as long as you don't change anything anymore. But if you need or want to demount the back to mount the groundglass again it's getting inconvenient.
    Just too much handling steps and sometimes I'd prefer a small sliding back.

  5. #5
    smei_ch
    Guest

    Re: Testing the 120mm lens on the WDS/WRS

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    ......

    I've made a very strong suggestion to Cambo via Chris at Capture Integration that we need a cover of some sort that will protect the back attached to the adapter instead of having to separate them thus adding more time for the rear of the lens to be open to the elements and in general be safer for the digital back.
    ........
    For Alpa such covers exist:

    http://www.alpa.ch/index.php?path=pr...detailpage=256


  6. #6
    Member Chris Barrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Testing the 120mm lens on the WDS/WRS

    Quote Originally Posted by smei_ch View Post
    Yeah, that's totally what I want, for Arca 6x9... Fortunately my Kapture Group Sliding back is on it's way and that will alleviate some issues...

  7. #7
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Testing the 120mm lens on the WDS/WRS

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    Yeah, that's totally what I want, for Arca 6x9... Fortunately my Kapture Group Sliding back is on it's way and that will alleviate some issues...
    I am very anxious to hear from you how that arrangement works, so please be sure to post a thorough review!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  8. #8
    Member Chris Barrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Testing the 120mm lens on the WDS/WRS

    Hmm... got an email that the slider has arrived at Pro Gear. Un/fortunately I'm shooting tomorrow and then off to Island Holiday this weekend. The review will have to await my inevitable sobriety. However, I did use one of these units for about 6 months before resigning from HB and can only compliment their construction.

    -

  9. #9
    Member Clawery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Testing the 120mm lens on the WDS/WRS

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    Hmm... got an email that the slider has arrived at Pro Gear. Un/fortunately I'm shooting tomorrow and then off to Island Holiday this weekend. The review will have to await my inevitable sobriety. However, I did use one of these units for about 6 months before resigning from HB and can only compliment their construction.

    -
    The Kapture Group sliding adapter is much more rigid and offers a precision focusing over the Arca-Swiss Rotaslide. We helped Chris when he was at HB and he will attest to the KG adapters performance.

    Chris Lawery(e-mail Me)
    __________________
    Sales Manager, Capture Integration
    Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
    National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 404.234.5195
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •