The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase to buy Leaf from Kodak.....

J

jingq

hi doug are you aware that the new H1/H2 firmware update allows the use of the HCD 28mm and 35-90mm lenses on those cameras?
I didn't quite believe it but it's there in the technical notes of the new firmware update. I'm surprised they didn't make more news abou tit

For what it's worth Hasselblad didn't need to disable 3rd party backs on the H3 to allow lens corrections. In fact the Capture One lens corrections for the HC glass which Hasselblad didn't purposefully lock (everything but the 28mm and 35-90mm) works every bit as good as the Phocus corrections (you can talk about enhanced metadata use all you want, but I dare you to show me a difference even at 100% views).

I strongly disagree that Phase is "heading to a closed system eventually".

Phase is still making, and will still make, service, and support new backs for Contax, Rollei 6008, Hasselblad H, Hasselblad V, Mamiya AFD 1/2/3, Mamiya RZ, as well as the Phase One Body. The backs have an integrated battery and can be moved without external accessories to any of dozens of view cameras and technical cameras, and the triggering mechanism is designed so that the back can be fired from ANY system on which it will physically mount provided that the system has a flash sync port (I've even seen Holga Phase systems). That integrated battery is a Canon-spec battery which can be purchased at any Wal Mart and is made by several off-brand makers. The raw file can be opened in C13, C14, PS, LR, RD, and RPP and can be converted to DNG to be opened in Aperture, Bibble etc. Furthermore the Phase One Body is an open platform that can accept backs from any current/legacy manufacturer which fits on a Mamiya body and can accept lenses from the Hasselblad V, Pentax 6, Hartblei, manual focus mamiya glass, 1st gen AF mamiya glass and Phase One digital glass. It also uses AA batteries which are about the least proprietary battery one can find.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

J

jingq

every day I use a H camera I'm more convinced of Hasselblad's direction.
I used a AFDII with a Leaf 75S recently for an ad job, and spent 2 minutes each time trying to focus the damn thing properly wide open for the right look. Take a shot, wait for preview, check focus.

I recently started using a H3DII and Phocus works wonderfully. Controlling the focusing on a camera using the software? live view that I don't need to buy some adapter for? Focus confirmation on the live view?
Amazing!

I don't really see the big deal about having an "open" system
I just want a system that works smoothly, with lenses that fit my needs.
Hasselblad's the only one with a zoom lens that actually fits the range that I use 90% of the time (equivalent of about 25-60mm on 35mm)
oh and have you seen the LCD on the H3DII? beats the crap out of the Leaf screen. and have you timed how fast you can zoom into the image on that LCD? try that with a Leaf. Let's not even talk about Phase One's screen.

A camera that ensures correct focus (a slightly off-focus medium format digital photo = fuzzy useless mess), that works without errors, that has the right focal lengths, that's what matters to me.

I'll willingly sacrifice the "look" of a lens in exchange for a camera that makes sure I don't miss a moment of the subjects I'm photographing

to Phase one: I got tired of waiting for Mamiya's leaf shutter lenses.
I got tired of using a crappy 55-110mm zoom lens.
I got tired of a crappy 35mm lens.
Work on your camera system.worry about your digital back innovations later.

thomas

So if the back doesn't know what it is attached to because it's not listed then can it still be used on something like the Bronica?
you can attach a Phase Back on a shoe box as pinhole camera. You just need something to release via flash sync.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
you can attach a Phase Back on a shoe box as pinhole camera. You just need something to release via flash sync.
Yep. You could use the wake-up release and just use a penny to short across the pc connector for as long as you wanted your exposure to last :D

Steve Hendrix

hi doug are you aware that the new H1/H2 firmware update allows the use of the HCD 28mm and 35-90mm lenses on those cameras?
I didn't quite believe it but it's there in the technical notes of the new firmware update. I'm surprised they didn't make more news abou tit

Only for Hasselblad digital backs.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I don't really see the big deal about having an "open" system
I just want a system that works smoothly, with lenses that fit my needs.
I agree with these two points 100%. Of course my solution is different than yours, but that's irrelevant -- we chose based on our needs.

:thumbs:,

thomas

Yep. You could use the wake-up release and just use a penny to short across the pc connector for as long as you wanted your exposure to last :D
:)
BTW: this is exactly the trick how to do long exposures with the Contax (what is not possible "by default" due to limitations of the Contax). Just put a sheet of thin paper onto the camera contacts to disrupt communication from camera to back. Connect wake up cable with flash sync and you can shoot at any time the back is capable of.

Don Libby

Don,

The wake up cable is required for the P45+ because of the way Phase has the Kodak sensor "clear" in preparation for the next frame. A digital sensor has a residual energy memory, so it needs to be flushed prior to each new frame to provide a clear base for the next frame. When the back is mounted to a compatible camera, the shutter press accomplishes that clear (why there is a lag with MF capture) through onboard electronics used for AF and metering, but when on a non-dedicated camera is used the wake up is needed. The Dalsa sensors clear differently and are activated by the main shutter release across the shutter's flash synch port (but still clearing before capture and with similar lag) so don't need a dedicated clearing cycle.

Cheers,
So - if I connect a P40 or P65 for my Cambo then all I'd need to do is turn the back on and connect in a shutter release to the lens? No cables running between lens and back? Similar in setup to having film back on? [yeah I know there's no film back for a WRS ;) ]

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
So - if I connect a P40 or P65 for my Cambo then all I'd need to do is turn the back on and connect in a shutter release to the lens? No cables running between lens and back? Similar in setup to having film back on? [yeah I know there's no film back for a WRS ;) ]

Don
Not entirely -- you still need a trip cable from the shutter's flash post to the back to turn it on at the beginning of the exposure and off again after the exposure, but you don't need the intermediary wake-up switch.

Don Libby

I "think" I understand the concept just not the real work application. Don't understand how the back talks with the lens to know when the shutter has been released for the sensor/back to activate and capture the image. I still see (in my mind) the need for some type of connection running between the lens and back.

Okay head hurts - going back to work sorting images....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don:

The flash post on your leaf-shuttered lenses is a simple switch. It is "off" until the shutter is pressed, stays "on" for as long as the shutter is open, then turns "off" again as soon as the shutter is closed. The back simply operates off that switch...

Don Libby

Ya know the old saying a picture is worth a whole bunch? This someone can help illustrate this?

Thanks Jack - looks like we double posted there ...

If I follow you correctly then I'd still need to use my one-shot.

Don

My apologies for taking this thread off on a tangent.

Just posted and saw Jack's response

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I know, and don't forget Shaquille O'neal traded to the Cavs...

I don't think I can take any more - way too much for one day. And I still have the NBA draft tonight (I'm a basketball fan).

Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Geez Steve and I reside in Phoenix, wanted to bury my head when I saw that one. What really get's me is two years ago we had a great team ready to finally get the golden ring. Now we have a a team that can't get in the playoffs and a GM with is fist up his _ _ _ . Don't get me started huge NBA and Suns fan but i will NOT be running out to buy tickets and a lot of folks feel the same way.

Okay back on topic. Been busy the last couple days and have not been on the forum much but some strange comments about this on the forums. Funny thing is I had every back Phase sells for 5 days last week and not a issue and not a complaint from anyone trying them. I think folks need to go out and get some real hands on shooting with this stuff. Than again maybe I just like shooting and not complaining about it. Sure we need a new body and the first one in line to get one but so does Nikon, Canon , Sony, Hassy and any other MF body out there. Anyway back to cleaning my camera , lens and back just walked out a door to a guy with a paint sprayer that liked spraying everything but the wall. Nailed me. LOL. I now have a speckled Phase One system. And after being in the 108 degree heat for 7 hours feeling pretty beat up.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
What I have seen last week in the workshop is, that I really like the Phase backs and also the lenses I would use for the system - 28, 75-150, 150. Even the 35, although obviously an old construction works pretty nicely, if you use digital correction. I could not see what Hassi and Leica glass could do really better.

What could be improved is the camera body itself, as I find some of its controls and buttons a bit less ergonomic. And it could have a larger handgrip for my hands, which BTW could then take maybe the same battery as the back or also AA batteries, so you would have the freedom for batteries.

And yes, Leaf Shutter would be good with some lenses, but this will come I am convinced and I personally do not need this feature really, so no issue for me.

But what is finally the great thing about Phase is their backs and their software! They play together in a perfect way and allow easy and wonderful handling of the digital files - during shooting and in post processing. And having a separate battery in the back makes it's use on a tech camera pretty easy. Try the same with a Hassi back, you need to find a cumbersome way of powering your unit - not what I really like because it introduces cables between tech camera and the power source. So also here Phase leads in my opinion. And not to speak about IQ, and leadership in new technologies WRT backs -Phase clearly leads the market there!

Put that all together and it gives the resulting flexible and high quality system which is hard to find outside Phase.

Just my 5c .....

thomas

And not to speak about IQ, and leadership in new technologies WRT backs -Phase clearly leads the market there!

Put that all together and it gives the resulting flexible and high quality system which is hard to find outside Phase.
Peter, I think this is a bit of a stretch.
IQ wise all MFDBs are very, very good (at least what I've seen of different backs). Mamiya lenses are very good but so Hasselblad, Zeiss, Schneider... are.
As to "usability" there are different approaches. Adapter systems, revolving backs, revolving chips, LCDs, multishot... all that makes a lot of sense but can't be found on a Phase back. Okay, if you look very carefully you may discover a LCD on a Phase back as well, but... :)

D

ddk

That's an idea, a pinhole camera with live view, now lets visit the wife's closet!

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Anyway back to cleaning my camera , lens and back just walked out a door to a guy with a paint sprayer that liked spraying everything but the wall. Nailed me. LOL. I now have a speckled Phase One system. And after being in the 108 degree heat for 7 hours feeling pretty beat up.
:eek: OUCH!

I admire your sense of humor Guy.

While on the subject of Pinhole.... Back when I was in school I turned my Arca into a Pinhole camera by simply taping the pinhole aperture (in bronze shim) to a copal 0 lens board. This gave me a zoom lens pinhole (simply rack the standard to change focal length) with the ability to shoot polaroid. The same setup could be used easily for digital pinhole.

I think I'm going to have to try this with my P65+.

Don, did you get sync figured out on the P40/65? You still need a sync cable going from the lens to the back, but now it doesn't have to be a Wakeup/One-shot cable. The new backs constantly have a little power trickling in (as I was told) so that wakeup is immediate.

-C

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
:eek: OUCH!

I admire your sense of humor Guy.
Thanks. All you can say on those things is **** happens. I have it cleaned up pretty good . The one area is the 45mm filter threads i need to get some Q tips and work some out. But the glass and barrel is all fine. The body cleaned up nice. Just used windex and paper towel and it all came off easy.