The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Railway photography, anyone?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, both statements are true! But what I had in mind was that the first shot is a landscape that happens to have a train in it. To me it's not a train picture, though it's a good picture! In fact, without the barely visible train, one wouldn't even know it's a railway viaduct. It might be a Roman aqueduct....

Perhaps a decent size print, as opposed to my laptop scree, would reveal more!

Anyway, the second one is a real winner to me. Wish I'd taken it!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Pretty 3D looking there Bill.

Maybe the perspective one looks odd because the train top is flush with the horizon.

-Marc
I think you're right - it contributes to the confusion of two opposing diagonals. Which way should the eye look - along the road to the left or the line to the right?

The train top is flush because I was standing on the roof of my truck camper for the shot.

rmueller

Hi,

Ok, more or less out of curiosity i shot below image while spending
my vacation in the Scottish highlands.

"Steam Train on Glenfinnan Viaduct", most prominent because it was used
in a Harry Potter movie. In fact it is difficult to photograph because most of
the time you see kids with their compacts lining up on the opposite side of
the hill where one stands.

Anyway, just my contribution to this thread.

Regards,
Ralf

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Didn't see this thread until now, since it's so well hidden among all the MF stuff. Here's my humble contribution anyway, from Had Yai in the south of Thailand.

E-1 with OM 200mm f/5.0 @ f/5.0

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, this thread has been dormant for a while, but I'm still running after locomotives from time to time! This is from Banff National Park yesterday. Unfortunately low clouds have completely obscured the soaring mountains behind. P65+ and 55 mm hand held - didn't have time to set up the Gitzo!

bensonga

Terrific shot Bill! I love the colors and the winding line of the train. I have a fascination with trains as well....but almost all of my images have been taken with 35mm film/digital and medium or large format film....so I've got nothing to share here from my MFDB (CFV-16II). Guess I'd better get out there this weekend and re-shoot a few favorites with the 503CWD.

Until then, maybe you wouldn't mind if I shared this non-MFDB image. I really like the blue and yellow colors of the Alaska Railroad engines.

Gary

Last edited: