The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Railway photography, anyone?

Analog6

My partner and I are steam buffs from way back, when we lived in Canberra we were members of the Australian Railway Historical Society (ACT) and used to work on the trains as conductors and waiters n the restaurant trains. They are currently restoring the big articulated 60 class Beyer Garrett engine, a long term project gor them.

I don't have any shorts taken with med format but there are some train pics on my Flickr under my collection called Trains & Steam. I do have some 6x6 transparencies but no scanner to convert them to digital as yet.

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

Glad to know I am not the only one! Steam railway photography is my speciality - it just makes such a great subject.

You can see loads of my stuff here:
http://www.edhurstrailway.fotopic.net/list_collections.php
The password to most of the collections is steamphoto

There is loads of steam in the UK (all of it 'preserved', much of it operating special excursion trains on the national rail network, loads of it on volunteer-run private railways).

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks, Ed, some great stuff!

Could you consider allowing one password to all the galleries? It's a bit irritating having to re-type it each time you move to a new section.

But I will admit it was worth it!

Bill

Glad to know I am not the only one! Steam railway photography is my speciality - it just makes such a great subject.

You can see loads of my stuff here:
http://www.edhurstrailway.fotopic.net/list_collections.php
The password to most of the collections is steamphoto

There is loads of steam in the UK (all of it 'preserved', much of it operating special excursion trains on the national rail network, loads of it on volunteer-run private railways).

ustein

Contributing Editor
This is a fun shot of a restored Death Valley Railway Car. The car was running (means vibrating) while we took the HDR sequence. Some volunteers rebuilt it over some years of work.

Last edited:

dave.gt

Oddly, I did not know this thread existed....

Unfortunately, so many images are missing due to the fact this thread was started almost a decade ago. The few that remain are very cool.

How about reviving the spirit of this thread?:thumbs:

Ed Hurst

Or perhaps this? Taken back in my film days using Pentax 67ii and Provia 100F.

On 13th November 2000, BR Standard Class 4MT 4-6-0 no. 75027 pilots BR Standard Class 9F no. 92240 around the curve at Treemans (Bluebell Railway, Sussex, England).

[/url]TreemansStep12SpotSRP by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

dave.gt

Wow! These are all great! Surely the results of talented photographers pursuing their passion.:):):)

This is what I was talking about! Nothing more attention-grabbing than these iron horses and the billowing clouds announcing their arrival!!!:thumbup:

stephengilbert

Especially in black and white.

Wow! These are all great! Surely the results of talented photographers pursuing their passion.:):):)

This is what I was talking about! Nothing more attention-grabbing than these iron horses and the billowing clouds announcing their arrival!!!:thumbup:

Jeffrey

More from the Northern Nevada Railway Museum. All images were captured using a Cambo WRS-5000, Phase One IQ3-100 back, and Rodenstock 40mm and 70mm lenses. Indeed there is something about b & w when photographing massive machinery!

Attachments

Ed Hurst

The Winter of 2004/5 was the final time steam worked over the Jing Peng pass on the world's last steam-operated main line railway, the JiTong line in Inner Mongolia. Never again would we see large loads being hauled by steam hundreds of miles just as a 'job of work'... The end of an era in human history.

This is leaving Tunnel 4. A very hard picture to get right. Apart from having to climb a snowy mountain side in -30 (Celsius) temperatures, the trains ran to no timetable because they were freight trains running as required. The scene is lit properly from the side for about 30 mins a day in the Winter, so you had to be lucky to get a train in the right window. Even when you did, the prevailing wind was from the west, which would almost always ruin it by blowing the steam down over the train. Each attempt meant giving up several other easier pictures because of the climb up the mountain (if you chased it from the road and aimed for simpler locations, you could get a few pictures of a single train and do so avoiding the wind/sun angle problem). So it was a gamble - try for one awesome picture but probably fail, or try for numerous easier pictures that were likely to succeed. This was my very last day on the line before steam finished forever. I had attempted the shot often before and never succeeded. On this day, when we climbed the mountain, we were in cloud (but large sections of the line we could have been on were in sun)... So the gamble seemed even more reckless...

On this final attempt, it came together. Can you imagine the sight of a small group of men, wearing numerous layers, jumping up and down in excitement, knowing we had finally nailed this shot on the last morning we would ever be able to try?

Then I must mention that our friend, Ian, was at that very moment lying in a hotel bed because he had dislocated his knee, so he missed the shot. In fact, we would all have missed it had he not injured himself - we had been due to leave the area already, but had had to stay on slightly longer until he was fit to be moved. So we have Ian's knee to thank for this picture, even though he could not get it himself. That must have hurt more than the knee... Though he would never admit it.

[/url]Jing Peng Pass-600 dpiStep10SSsRGBUKRP by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Pentax 67ii with 105mm lens, Velvia 100F.