The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Railway photography, anyone?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'll hate you forever, Ed :ROTFL: I dreamed about going up there for years, until it was too late of course. Oh well... glad you made it. Really.

Ed Hurst

I'll hate you forever, Ed :ROTFL: I dreamed about going up there for years, until it was too late of course. Oh well... glad you made it. Really.
I know what you mean, Jorgen. Really! Feel free to hate me for this...

At least most of my shots from the line are currently unscanned, so I can't annoy you with them ;-)

dave.gt

Wow! Jeffrey, Ed, everyone!

Just when awesome landscapes were getting banal (if that is possible), we now have images of massive machinery in what surely must be a shock and awe experience of those making these images.

I can't imagine being up close to these behemoths!

Thank you all for giving us a glimpse of an amazing part of human history.:):):)

Ed Hurst

Puffing Billy is Australia's premier steam railway - just superb.

This picture required quite a lot of effort to get right. There is a bind with the location - the light doesn't get down onto the bridge properly in the winter. But, in the summer, it is usually too warm to get visible steam from the loco.. So, you guessed it, I took two pictures in different seasons and combined them. Not to mention tidying away various annoying modern clutter in the scene.

Pentax 645D with 55mm f2.8 DFA lens.

[/url]PanoFrom_IGP7002-8And7016-19And7049V3Step15Spot by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

algrove

Chama-STC/HR40/IQ3100

Drove for hours in pounding rain to find this small town in Northern NM, but missed the daily run. Found a great steak place. Decided to get out in the rain anyway. It was raining so hard at one point I messed up my composition and cut off the cow catcher on the 45 degree shot. Will share this shot and plan on going back one day, but I live in FL.

algrove

Nice 1928 Rio Grande Consolidation. STC/HR40/ IQ3100 sorry for cutting the front of the cow catcher. Agree these old beasts look best in B&W.

Ed Hurst

OK, a golden oldie here. Taken on 2nd January, 1995 (when I was 21 years old and still had a decent back!) at Blea Moor on the Settle-Carlisle line (UK). The train was hauled by 'Princess Margaret Rose' (no. 46203) built in 1935.

Mamiya C330F with 80mm lens and Ektachrome 100. 1/500 @ f6.3.

Temperatures that day were below freezing and this had caused problems for the train (can't remember details, ice in the brake pipe perhaps?). This led to the train running hours late. I had been set up elsewhere with my friend Bob Alderson (we were in his car, I didn't own one back then), in a location that made sense for an early afternoon light angle. Hearing about the late running, we relocated (nervously as this new location required a 30 min walk from the nearest road, so if the information had been wrong, we would have missed the picture). In the winter, Blea Moor is only lit properly in late afternoon.

We waited and hoped. That it would come before the sun set. That the sun would be out. Etc..

The signal cleared and we knew a train was coming. When it did, it was a diesel and we thought we were done for. Surely there would be no time before sunset for the diesel-hauled train to clear the section of line and for the steam to come. The signal cleared again and, miracle of miracles, the train came in perfect light.

As the last carriage rolled by, the sun set behind a hill. We had got it with literally seconds to spare. Doesn't usually work that way!

[/url]BleaMoor46203Step10sRGBSRP by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Godfrey

Lovely photos!!

I've always loved trains, although I've spent relatively little time photographing them. I've ridden historic steam railways in the south of England and on the Isle of Man, and visited train museums all over the USA and England as well.

Something I've wanted to do since I was in my mid-twenties is going to come to pass finally: I've just booked my fare for a train trip across the USA! I'm taking the Lake Shore Limited from New York to Chicago, then switching to the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville. Switch there again for the Capital Corridor line to take me the last hour or so down to San Jose.

Gonna be a blast. :)

G

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Strictly speaking I shouldn't be posting this here as it is not an MF photo. Rather the opposite in fact - it was taken with my first 35 mm camera, a Bilora Radix which used Agfa cassettes to take 24 by 24 mm shots with a 38 mm fixed lens. It is my first ever colour photo of a train, taken in 1959 or 1960 on Agfachrome film. The engine is a West Country class of the Southern Railway division of British Rail climbing the Honiton Bank in Devon.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Now back to the present - this is my best-selling train shot (not steam, alas) taken at Morant's Curve in the Canadian Rockies. XF/180/80mm. Makes a spectacular 36 inch print!
(I have posted the version I normally print so it's a little over-sharpened for the Web.)

Ed Hurst

Lovely photos, Bill. Especially love the rebuilt Bulleid on Honiton. I can't bring myself to like any picture of a diesel/electric, even if it is a stunning example of photography like this one! ;-)

Paul2660

Now back to the present - this is my best-selling train shot (not steam, alas) taken at Morant's Curve in the Canadian Rockies. XF/180/80mm. Makes a spectacular 36 inch print!
(I have posted the version I normally print so it's a little over-sharpened for the Web.)

Hi Bill

I can easily see why it's a best seller, Great shot. As a lover of trains, I have to say this is one of the best shots I have seen. Wonderful capture.

Paul C

bensonga

I really enjoy the many outstanding photos here of old and newer railway stock still working hard and doing what they were designed and built to do!

I wish I had some like yours taken with one of my medium format cameras.

Unfortunately, most of my railway medium format film and digital images are of equipment in the final stages of their life.

Gary

Alaska RR Locomotive 1806. Stripped and prepared for the scrap yards. Pentax 67, Pentax 35mm fish eye lens. Velvia 100 scanned and converted to B&W.

bensonga

One more shot from the same day and roll of film. This engine was also hauled off to the scrap yard shortly after I took these photos in July 2012.

Gary

Pentax 67, 35mm fisheye lens, Velvia 100

dave.gt

Lovely photos!!

I've always loved trains, although I've spent relatively little time photographing them. I've ridden historic steam railways in the south of England and on the Isle of Man, and visited train museums all over the USA and England as well.

Something I've wanted to do since I was in my mid-twenties is going to come to pass finally: I've just booked my fare for a train trip across the USA! I'm taking the Lake Shore Limited from New York to Chicago, then switching to the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville. Switch there again for the Capital Corridor line to take me the last hour or so down to San Jose.

Gonna be a blast. :)

G

Wow, that is very cool!!!:):):)

Would you possibly have a route map you can share???

bensonga

Another piece of Alaska Railroad history and railway stock that is long gone.

Gary

Hasselblad 503CXi, 80mm lens, Velvia 100

dave.gt

Such amazing photos of a mode of transportation that seems to have been foegotten for the most part in this country only to replaced by the idea of "autonomous" capsules with no soul. Imo, if life has no soul in not only its endeavor, but in all things, it is not worth much. I can sweep with soul and clean the toilet with the passion of detailing a Ferrari.:)

But I digress.

In my recent return to the study of music, as humble as it is, I remember a musicologist somewhere who presented the idea of transportation , during each era, having a profound influence on the music of that era. For instance, the music of the 19th and early 20th centuries had a distinct sound related to trains and travel by trains.

I suppose by the post WWII era, our fascination with cars and trucks had and continues to have just as much influence on popular music. From Chuck Berry to the Beach Boys and who knows about contemporary music... I find the history and images of railroads and trains fascinating.

This thread has inspired me to delve into the world of musicality of trains. Who could have planned that?:thumbup:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well, it *is* a train. Unfortunate that the city is somewhat limiting for railroad scenery...

--Matt