The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Railway photography, anyone?

D&A

Well, it *is* a train. Unfortunate that the city is somewhat limiting for railroad scenery...

--Matt
It sure is Matt. Even when I was playing with my Lionel toy trains steam and diseal engines at that time, the subway was as much a train as any other.

Growing up in the city and when very young, I'd insist being in the front car looking out, thinking I was driving and controlling the train. When I eventually got to Grand Central and rode the NY Central to upstate, all it represented to me was another type of railway. What fascinated me was the NYC subway work/maintance cars. Some were crossovers from the large railways which lent credance that the subway was a real railway. So keep those subway pics coming :).

Unfortunately I rarely take medium format into D.C.'s Metro for shooting puposes, opting for a smaller format camera system.

Great thread with some wonderful shots. Maybe I can dig out a few Pentax 67 negatives of the N&W railway.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thanks Dave and Dave :cool:,

That wasn't a small setup: a Leica S(006) and 24mm lens (~6 lbs). 1/2 second handheld (it shows) braced against a pillar. I love the portability of the X1D, but I *do* miss the FoV of the 24. (GFX, I know... :watch:)

--Matt

D&A

Even though this thread is in the medium format section, I think it's great that other cameras used to photograph these wonderful trains are being posted. As an aside, would even love to see the old NYC subway cars/trains that ran from the 40's and 50's up to the late 70's and maybe 80's I believe. Talk about style and character

Dave (D&A)

bensonga

Even though this thread is in the medium format section, I think it's great that other cameras used to photograph these wonderful trains are being posted.

Dave (D&A)
There are also many excellent train/railway images taken with any format camera that are posted in the thread "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" in the Artful Images to Share forum section.

Gary

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

CPR #138. This loco was built in 1883. It was featured in the CBC's documentary about the building of the CPR. This shot is from 1974. She is still in working order.

Honus

Love the thread. Here's my contribution from Ely, Nevada last year. 3-image stitch w/ Cambo WRS-1200, Rodenstock 55mm & P45+.

CF021898.1900.1902.jpg

Mark C

I have a dirty little secret to share. Although I bill myself as a nature photographer, I also love to shoot railways, an obsession I've had since growing up in the UK in the age of steam.

Anyone else into my obsession?
Oh yes! In fact I could have written what you've said above! I'm fortunate to live near some great railway attractions in the N E of England, inc the Tanfield railway ( https://www.tanfield-railway.co.uk/ ), Shildon Railway museum ( https://www.locomotion.org.uk/ ) the North Yorkshire Moors Railway ( https://www.nymr.co.uk/ ) and Beamish ( https://www.beamish.org.uk/ ). I get out to photograph them whenever I can. Some recent pics:

Reversing Gresley by Mark, on Flickr

Old stock by Mark, on Flickr

80136 II by Mark, on Flickr

The night train by Mark, on Flickr

dave.gt

Mark,

Love those images of trains! You are lucky to have both the opportunity and the skills and takent to capture beautiful images.:)

Recently, I have been researching music of all kinds, especially Blues. Songs of Night Trains are especially intriguing as is the wonderful Mystery Train, performed by none other than Jerry Garcia.

Great work, everybody! Keep them coming.:):):)

Mark C

Mark,

Love those images of trains! You are lucky to have both the opportunity and the skills and takent to capture beautiful images.:)

Recently, I have been researching music of all kinds, especially Blues. Songs of Night Trains are especially intriguing as is the wonderful Mystery Train, performed by none other than Jerry Garcia.

Great work, everybody! Keep them coming.:):):)
Thanks a lot Dave. There's a live version of Mystery train on youtube if you haven't seen it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZubjSWrHqKU

dave.gt

Thanks a lot Dave. There's a live version of Mystery train on youtube if you haven't seen it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZubjSWrHqKU
Got it! Thanks, Mark!:)

Now, where do I go from here? This thread has opened a door to the visual world of trains and my recent awakening in the world of music seem to be merging. LOL, if I was retired, a whole new life would be ahead of me with travel and adventures unknown.:):):)

It is enough to settle back easy and enjoy the images here. Looking forward to more!

algrove

Sorry, somehow I did not realize this thread was MF only.

How about this one taken with Alpa STC/SK150/IQ3100 Achromatic of same 108 year old engine

pegelli

Sorry, somehow I did not realize this thread was MF only.
No need to say sorry, I was just asking the question. Maybe people who also shoot MF or DB can post here, don't know. Probably a question for Bill C-B who started this thread how open or restricted he had this in mind.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

No need to say sorry, I was just asking the question. Maybe people who also shoot MF or DB can post here, don't know. Probably a question for Bill C-B who started this thread how open or restricted he had this in mind.
Hey, a good train photo is a good train photo, no matter the equipment! Keep'em coming!