Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Railway photography, anyone?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Railway photography, anyone?

I have a dirty little secret to share. Although I bill myself as a nature photographer, I also love to shoot railways, an obsession I've had since growing up in the UK in the age of steam.

So during my trip to Lake Superior last week I couldn't help myself. Students of history may know that the history of Canada is inextricably intertwined with that of the CPR, and you cannot get far from the line as you travel the Trans-Canada Highway, particularly around the big lake.

So here are a couple - the first with P45+, then the same train a few minutes later with the a900.

Anyone else into my obsession?

Attachment 18564

And the Sony shot.
    Attachment 18565
    Last edited by Bill Caulfeild-Browne; 15th October 2009 at 18:23.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Railway photography, anyone?

I enjoy photographing old trains, but I would not call it an obsession in my case. I just love mechanical detail, and old trains have enough of those!
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    I enjoy photographing old trains, but I would not call it an obsession in my case. I just love mechanical detail, and old trains have enough of those!
    Yes Carsten
    I do love to shoot trains as well and have done so in the past . But I do not like to shoot modern highspeed trains .
    Unfortunately , there are almost no more occasions to see steam trains in Germany , or lets say Europe .
    If you know places , just let me know . I would appreciate that very much .

Jürgen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin Once a year they also drive back and forth on a local track a bit.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    I have a dirty little secret to share. Although I bill myself as a nature photographer, I also love to shoot railways, an obsession I've had since growing up in the UK in the age of steam.

So during my trip to Lake Superior last week I couldn't help myself. Students of history may know that the history of Canada is inextricably intertwined with that of the CPR, and you cannot get far from the line as you travel the Trans-Canada Highway, particularly around the big lake.

So here are a couple - the first with P45+, then the same train a few minutes later with the a900.

Anyone else into my obsession?

Attachment 18564

And the Sony shot.
    Attachment 18565
    Absolutely Bill.

I used to be a N gauge model railroader. An obsession I had to give up because I'd be in the poor house supporting that hobby and photography ... two obsessions is one to many time/money eaters for me

I have two friends that were RR Engineers ... I love getting them together to hear their RR stories ... especially about the idiots that tried to beat their trains and got to visit St. Peter for their misguided efforts.

While it's not the same as a live, active train, if you every get to the Michigan area I'll take you to Greenfield Village where they have a huge and wonderful collection of old steam trains (including a massive mountain locomotive) and a complete working round house. It was sort of Henry Ford's way of being a model RRer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Absolutely Bill.

I used to be a N gauge model railroader. An obsession I had to give up because I'd be in the poor house supporting that hobby and photography ... two obsessions is one to many time/money eaters for me

I have two friends that were RR Engineers ... I love getting them together to hear their RR stories ... especially about the idiots that tried to beat their trains and got to visit St. Peter for their misguided efforts.

While it's not the same as a live, active train, if you every get to the Michigan area I'll take you to Greenfield Village where they have a huge and wonderful collection of old steam trains (including a massive mountain locomotive) and a complete working round house. It was sort of Henry Ford's way of being a model RRer
    I'd like to take you up on that - I live directly across the lake from Alpena, so it's not a long trip to the Bluewater Bridge and thus to Franklin/Greenfield Village. Sounds like we might do a shoot together....sometime in the fall maybe?
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Unfortunately , there are almost no more occasions to see steam trains in Germany , or lets say Europe .
    If you know places , just let me know . I would appreciate that very much .

Jürgen
    There are certainly still steam trains running in England.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the hints from Carsten and Graham .

I have done some research in the net and found , that there is still one repairshop in Meiningen/Germany and an other one is INTERLOK in Pila/Poland .

Both repair/refurbish any kind of old steam engines . Visitors are welcome .
    Photographers of course as well .

Jürgen

David Stephen

Although I didn't get a photo of it, I once worked with design clients from the B$O railroad family, a brother and sister still living in their childhood estate in suburban Philly.
    To gain access to the property you had to pass through a remotely operated antique railroad crossing gate.

The basement of the 12,000 sq. ft. house had one of the largest train sets in the world.

The brother and sister were in their 80's and quite a funny pair.

This is my first post. Nice to be on board!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Stephen View Post
    This is my first post. Nice to be on board!
    Welcome aboard David. Take a seat settle in and enjoy the ride. A conductor (Bob, Guy or Jack) will be by shortly to collect your ticket.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

Welcome and please post more train pictures! I wouldn't say I'm obsessed but I've always had a thing for trains. I just turned 60 this year but one of the earliest and strongest memories I have is from my childhood in England where, as a boy of three, I always wanted to go down to the station to see the trains. The memory? An olfactory one... I can still smell that wonderful aromatic mixture of steam, coal and oil when the trains would pull past you into the station, enveloping you in their portable cloud!

Every time I cross a railway track, I look down the length of it and wonder where it goes and what you'd see along the way. If I had my druthers, I'd hop a train instead of a plane anytime.

Here's one I took a couple of years ago in Seattle. This train does a yearly trip.

Attachment 18658

There's something so thrilling about the sheer size and the scale of the mechanical intricacy that still holds my senses.

Cheers,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 28th March 2010 at 11:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heres one with a DRF click to enlarge

Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And one with the Sony

Attachment 18661
    Mike

website under construction

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,

Yes we still have steam trains in England- in fact I believe we invented them
    This one the Gresley class 'Bittern' steaming into Bath last year, taken with GX100.
    You can take a day trip to the coast in this- buffet lunch and 4 course dinner en route for about £300 I think.

Cheers,
    Gandolfi.
    Last edited by gandolfi; 30th June 2014 at 07:19.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

What about the rails they ride on?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    Bill,

Welcome and please post more train pictures! I wouldn't say I'm obsessed but I've always had a thing for trains. I just turned 60 this year but one of the earliest and strongest memories I have is from my childhood in England where, as a boy of three, I always wanted to go down to the station to see the trains. The memory? An olfactory one... I can still smell that wonderful aromatic mixture of steam, coal and oil when the trains would pull past you into the station, enveloping you in their portable cloud!

Every time I cross a railway track, I look down the length of it and wonder where it goes and what you'd see along the way. If I had my druthers, I'd hop a train instead of a plane anytime.

Here's one I took a couple of years ago in Seattle. This train does a yearly trip.

Attachment 18658

There's something so thrilling about the sheer size and the scale of the mechanical intricacy that still holds my senses.

Cheers,
    Pretty dangerous invitation - I'll pull up a few of my oldies from England in the next few days and you and I can bathe in memories of steam!

Love your Seattle shot!

Bill

David Stephen

Here's one taken moments before it broke free in my direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty dangerous invitation - I'll pull up a few of my oldies from England in the next few days and you and I can bathe in memories of steam!

Love your Seattle shot!

Bill
    Thanks Bill! Although I lived in Seattle for 9 years, I had moved back to Vancouver, Canada but was in Seattle for a Jay Maisel workshop and it happened to be the same weekend this train was running. Serendipity indeed. The smells as it rolled past just brought all those memories rushing back... it was intoxicating.

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Bill! Although I lived in Seattle for 9 years, I had moved back to Vancouver, Canada but was in Seattle for a Jay Maisel workshop and it happened to be the same weekend this train was running. Serendipity indeed. The smells as it rolled past just brought all those memories rushing back... it was intoxicating.

Cheers,
    OK - here's a few from way back. The first is from the UK, Devon, circa 1960, taken with a Rollei TLR.Attachment 18799

The next is with a Rollei 6008Attachment 18800 in 1998.

The last was not (shudder!) an MF picture - it was a Yashica J5 in about 1969 just outside Toronto.Attachment 18801

I've got lots more so be careful not to encourage me!
    Last edited by Bill Caulfeild-Browne; 24th August 2009 at 16:50.

Post Thanks / Like

tons of links on this page:
    http://www.steamtraingalleries.co.uk/

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,

That first one looks almost like it's a picture of someone's amazing Thomas the Tank Engine model train set. The graininess of it (dare we say analog noise?), suits it admirably. Lovely framing on the diagonal. Very nice pictures! I'm enjoying this thread.

Ciao,

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple shot with the Nikon D1 on one of my trips to Japan.

Attachment 18804

Attachment 18805

Cheers,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 28th March 2010 at 11:08.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill,

That first one looks almost like it's a picture of someone's amazing Thomas the Tank Engine model train set. The graininess of it (dare we say analog noise?), suits it admirably. Lovely framing on the diagonal. Very nice pictures! I'm enjoying this thread.

Ciao,
    Yes, it was Agfachrome CT18 if I recall - lovely pastel colours but rather grainy! The graininess was exaggerated by over-sharpening accidentally - but I decided I rather liked it that way.

Your first shot has really caught the motion - I can almost feel the slipstream of it passing!

Bill

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I'm back from a lousy vacation where they were replacing the road in front of the quaint B&B we stayed at ... 7AM start every freaking morning and dust all day. Grrrrr.

But finding a couple of my Greenfield Village train shots to show Bill put a smile back on my face

I've got a whole slew of them around here someplace ... but these are all I could dig up quickly ... some XPan shots scanned on an older scanner with weak D-Max. I need to find these negs and re-scan them on the Imacon 949. (3 of the shots were in the working roundhouse, 2 in the museum, and one of their working train).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Well, I'm back from a lousy vacation where they were replacing the road in front of the quaint B&B we stayed at ... 7AM start every freaking morning and dust all day. Grrrrr.

But finding a couple of my Greenfield Village train shots to show Bill put a smile back on my face

I've got a whole slew of them around here someplace ... but these are all I could dig up quickly ... some XPan shots scanned on an older scanner with weak D-Max. I need to find these negs and re-scan them on the Imacon 949. (3 of the shots were in the working roundhouse, 2 in the museum, and one of their working train).
    Well, I'm sorry you lost your beauty sleep, but I'm surprised you were not up already at that hour....the light is really good at 5.30 am!

Your XPan shots have me salivating....the dMax looks fine on-screen. Thanks for posting them.

Best,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Nice ones Marc, especially the last.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Some shots from a railroad yard in Savannah, Georgia, home of the Georgia Central (I think). M8, and probably 28 2.8.
    Last edited by Geoff; 2nd January 2013 at 19:13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are a few of mine, all straight out of C1 and having some fun with 70's style effects:

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting effect Jack. I think I was with you on some of these locations. Winslow, AZ and the town near Yosemite. St John's maybe?
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You were with me at ALL of these locations! Winslow AZ for the first two, and Jamestown CA for the last four.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice stuff, Jack! Thanks for showing.
    Bill

Optechs Digital

Great topic Bill,

I too really like trains and enjoy taking pictures of them. Here are a couple of mine from Seattle.

Both taken with an Alpa SWA and 47mm XL digitar.

Attachment 18898

Attachment 18897

Happy 4th to all!!

Paul

http://www.optechsdigital.com/videos.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    tons of links on this page:
    http://www.steamtraingalleries.co.uk/
    Thanks for that link . Great images there and also here in the thread .

Jürgen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Attachment 18944

Attachment 18945

Attachment 18943

Attachment 18946

I warned you all not to encourage me...so here are a few from the UK in 2004!
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Caulfeild-Browne; 24th August 2009 at 16:50.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Attachment 18944

Attachment 18945

Attachment 18943

Attachment 18946

I warned you all not to encourage me...so here are a few from the UK in 2004!
    Bill
    Love 'em. Keep .em comin.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Couple with Alpa TC.

Film scanned #1:
    Last edited by docmoore; 6th July 2009 at 18:51.

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa TC with 39 H3DII Back:

Post Thanks / Like

Mamiya 7 with 65:

Post Thanks / Like

A few with the M8

Cab:

Post Thanks / Like

M8

Rail Cars in Morning Sun:

Post Thanks / Like

M8

Detail in Yellow:

Post Thanks / Like

M8

Final - Go Big Train!

Post Thanks / Like

There's one on the viaduct.

.. and another in the dale.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Rolo, love that second one! I like the first too, but it's more landscape than railway!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Rolo, love that second one! I like the first too, but it's more landscape than railway!
    Bill
    Wonder if you mean "more railway than trains" ?

Is it trains you want, Bill ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, both statements are true! But what I had in mind was that the first shot is a landscape that happens to have a train in it. To me it's not a train picture, though it's a good picture! In fact, without the barely visible train, one wouldn't even know it's a railway viaduct. It might be a Roman aqueduct....

Perhaps a decent size print, as opposed to my laptop scree, would reveal more!

Anyway, the second one is a real winner to me. Wish I'd taken it!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a few from the Canadian west - one from Crowsnest Pass in the Rockies and two from Saskatchewan. One of these has a perspective that will probably drive you nuts!
    Attachment 19105

Attachment 19106

Attachment 19104
    Last edited by Bill Caulfeild-Browne; 15th October 2009 at 18:23.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK - just one more from Kicking Horse Pass!
    Last edited by Bill Caulfeild-Browne; 24th August 2009 at 16:49.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a few from the Canadian west - one from Crowsnest Pass in the Rockies and two from Saskatchewan. One of these has a perspective that will probably drive you nuts!
    Attachment 19105

Attachment 19106

Attachment 19104
    Pretty 3D looking there Bill.

Maybe the perspective one looks odd because the train top is flush with the horizon.

-Marc