Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Cube test versus Manfrotto geared 410

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Cube test versus Manfrotto geared 410

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Just from years of doing this there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to a tripod and the head . The bigger, the stronger, the better. Size matters here
    So your Gitzo 3 series head is too light and too flimsey?
    Why not cary a big heavy wood tripod (in the 6Kg league) with single extension? Or at least a light wood tripod with single extension?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually Thomas it's not so much the weight being too light it is just rock solid in use. Besides wood in the desert i will get termites. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re sand in the Cube. One *HUGE* advantage of the Cube, is for the most part, its internal gearing is exposed. This means that while moisture, sand and other grit can and will get inside, it can also be removed easily, and in fact just a blow with your mouth is usually enough.

I have used mine in deserts all over the Southwest and along numerous beaches all over the world. Bottom line is sand, grit and moisture has never been an issue. It's more of a problem in my Gitzo legsets than it is in the Cube.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Little trick I learned from Jack . Is extend the very bottom legs about 6 inches when in the dirt or sand so it never gets to the knobs on the legs. That folks was a workshop secret. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually Thomas it's not so much the weight being too light it is just rock solid in use.
    so not: "The bigger, the stronger, the better. Size matters here" :-)
    I know that the Gitzo is rock solid. I also use that head.
    So now we have at least 3 heads that work: the cube, the WRS leveling base and the Gitzo 3 ball head. Doesn't sound that the cube is the sole solution on earth

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Photoclam cube and one thing that really surprised me about it is how fast setup is compared to a ballhead (I have RRS, Markins, Arcatech, and Gitzo ballheads). In fact in many cases it is even quicker than a ballhead. I shot some at 1-2am yesterday morning in very dark conditions without a flashlight and it was still fast and easy even though I could not see what I was doing - I think the two very large knobs on the Photoclam cube head helped quite a bit but assume this would also be easy with the expensive version. I don't hesitate to recommend either version of these cube-type heads for anything but really fast-action shooting...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    David - you might want to close your eyes, leave the room or open another thread.
    Don
    Too late

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    so not: "The bigger, the stronger, the better. Size matters here" :-)
    I know that the Gitzo is rock solid. I also use that head.
    So now we have at least 3 heads that work: the cube, the WRS leveling base and the Gitzo 3 ball head. Doesn't sound that the cube is the sole solution on earth
    Thomas, not sure what your negative attitude is all about regarding the Cube... First off, nobody here said the Cube is the *only* solution. In fact the opposite. What we are saying is it is an excellent solution for those that appreciate what it does and the way it works.

If a leveling base by itself works for you, then that's awesome, end of discussion. BUT, a leveling base is NOT a tripod head, and I don't want readers doing research to think it will replace a true, fully adjustable head for all situations, as it certainly will not! (But again, the fact it works for all of YOUR needs is awesome.)

And yes, still other folks prefer ball-heads over geared heads for a variety of reasons. Here there are several excellent choices from Arca, RRS, Kirk, Gitzo, Markins and others -- I even own a few of those myself and use them when they are a more appropriate choice than my Cube. (Which admittedly is only rarely for ME... )

Finally, the point of THIS thread was to discuss the relative merits/differences between GEARED heads, specifically the Manfrotto/Bogen 410 (and by inference 405) and the Cube. So to be clear, nobody is saying you have to have a geared head, all we are discussing is the relative merits of the Cube versus other geared choices and then peripherally, the relative merits and foibles of using a geared head over other designs.

And whether you like it or not, the fact remains that "the stronger the better" holds for all camera supports if you want critically sharp images with high-resolution digital imaging systems...

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Thomas, not sure what your negative attitude is all about regarding the Cube...
    negative attitude??? see:

The cube is beyond doubt by far the best allrounder head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am a charter member of the Blockheads

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

That is not the question.
    The cube is beyond doubt by far the best allrounder head.
    So what changed you mind?

It seems that you are the only one here who is constantly sniping at the Cube - too heavy, overkill to name a few.

No one has said other alternatives aren't out there. Likewise no one else has been so negative about its usage.

No one that I know of has ever said they thought other heads were BS. You yourself raise that question in thread #148.

So again what changed your mind?

Have you actually tried the head? Is your opinion based on the actual usage or is it based on opinions from reading others comments. Is it the price that puts you off?

I have much more respect of a persons opinion where it's based on fact rather conjecture or theory. Nowhere have you said you've ever tried using the Cube yet you consistently belittle the use of it.

I've seen this behavior before in other products where the poster has no intimate experience yet consistently voices an opinion/attitude that is contrary to those who actually have the experience.

The Cube isn't for everyone and no has said it is. If you can find a reasonable alternative that suites your shooting needs good for you.

Good luck in your endeavors what ever and wherever they take you

This thread has gone so far off of where Tim originally begun; a simple test between heads.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Recently you where elected CEO we just have not told ya yet.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I am a charter member of the Blockheads
    Hey Bob I'm a plank owner!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey folks,
    lets call this a wrap.
    /thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So what changed you mind?
    ? nothing

It seems that you are the only one here who is constantly sniping at the Cube - too heavy, overkill to name a few.
    no Don, if any I am snipping against those who take all opportunities to post that they use the cube. Someone bought a Manfrotto 410 and the answer is (analogous): "Great. But why didn't you buy the cube?". Bravo. Frustrating maybe for the respective person, don't you think so?
    If I don't need the head to point the camera but just need it to level the camera, than the cube is "overkill", of course. Why should I pay for features I'd never use? All my heads incl. accessories together exceed the costs of the cube. I could sell them and buy a cube. Would I? No. I prefer to pick from my outfit what ever I need in a certain situation and therefore it's almost always lighter than the "all-in-one" solution in that particular situation. But that's just me. And that's exactly what I said, nothing more.
    Finally: I feel it's the other way around - if someone says that there might be situations or constallations where you don't take advantage of the cube (especially if there is a dedicated leveling base for a certain camera) ... than that's obviously blasphemy. So it's maybe more your gear fixation that leads to the impression I wouldn't value the cube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I am spreading the swine flu around the forum. LOL

There is no way I did not have some form of it in NY and I am still sick. 12 people total now have had the same symptoms since I did. Okay don't touch the Apple and S key or you will get it too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I have a feeling this is a misunderstanding, possibly based on language differences. I find myself being misunderstood more often here in Germany than was the case in Canada, even though my German is quite good. I think that we can all agree that there are many good heads out there, and that the Cube is one of the best ones. Let's stop there before everyone gets too angry. Is it the weather or what?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

summer, time for a cold beer and some shade.
    We should open a virtual biergarten

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

agreed
    (thanks, Carsten)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Guys, I have a feeling this is a misunderstanding, possibly based on language differences. I find myself being misunderstood more often here in Germany than was the case in Canada, even though my German is quite good. I think that we can all agree that there are many good heads out there, and that the Cube is one of the best ones. Let's stop there before everyone gets too angry. Is it the weather or what?
    I agree there have been times myself when language and culture differences do not always agree with what you think is the correct statement. Maybe a good time to remind everyone that diversity is king and this forum benefits greatly from it as do the members. Let's always remember that and maybe when you see a comment that does not agree with what you know than maybe a simply PM to explain it helps with just a note saying your not sure you understand. We may not always get along or agree on everything and that certainly would be boring but instead of assuming the worst , maybe ask first is a good policy. Hell i know I am NOT politically correct and my spelling is horrendous but people overlook it because they know I mean the right thing. Let's think about that and if in doubt just ask.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

summer, time for a cold beer and some shade.
    You can mount your beir stein on the cube and use the tilting mechanism to drink from it.

Also, as I said in a different post....the cube s**ks for birding....which we did a bit of in Iceland and I was at a severe disadvantage versus one of my shooting partners using a fast 500mm lens with teleconverter on a Wimberley.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, I would spill my beer all over my shirt!
    Yup, for birding (the flying kind) and long lenses, something like the Wimberley is the way to go.
    probably beer too, just need to find the right plate
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 7th August 2009 at 13:11.

Post Thanks / Like

Hell i know I am NOT politically correct and my spelling is horrendous but people overlook it because they know I mean the right thing. Let's think about that and if in doubt just ask.
    Guy, you can spell 'horrendous' - what more could you ask for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's what i say . Heck if i get even close i win the brass ring. LOL

BTW hopefully some of those tips and tricks on the Portrait thread will help. That is really what this forum is all about at the end of the day is sharing and learning.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thomas, I'll drink a Paulaner in Berlin. Blasphemy for the north, I know, but there aren't many beers in the world as good as Paulaner (and Erdinger, and Schöfferhofer, and Duckstein, and ...). What will everyone else drink?

Actually, I am going to start with a scotch, since there is no beer in the house, and it is a bit late to go out. I've got a nice '91 Distiller's Edition Dalwhinnie here... Right about now Jack et al will start up about Martinis or some such

I have to say, that in spite of the occasional quarrels, myself included, this is currently the coziest photo forum I know of, and I thoroughly appreciate everyone here.

Cheers everyone.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    What will everyone else drink?
    right now I am having a glass of "Quarz" 2007 (Sauvignon Blanc from Cantina Terlaner). So maybe I shouldn't switch to a beer??? At least not if I want to stay leveled myself

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

How does that German saying go? Wein auf Bier... Bier auf Wein, lass das sein?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

bier auf wein, das lass sein
    Wein auf bier rat'ich dir

:-)
    aber am besten...wein auf wein!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Bier auf Wein, das schmeckt fein
    Wein auf Bier, das wünsch ich mir

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

What a tolerant chap you are.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking of going with John Black's comment and swimming against the stream here, while ducking Cube owners, and getting a 405 for my upcoming 3541XLS.

From what I read here, the 410 is slightly less stable than the Cube (at a millionth the price), and the 405 is slightly more stable than the 410... has anyone here been in the position of comparing the 405 with the Cube directly?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I am not using a cube so Iam not mainstream either. LOL Gitzo 3780 head with RRS pano clamp

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have heard good things about the new Gitzo ballheads, but then again, I heard good things about the BH-55 I now have, but I am not totally happy with it. The main problem is how to make a minute level adjustment in a controlled fashion while looking through the viewfinder, and I don't know of any ballhead which can do that.

Btw, the reason I am considering the 405 rather than the 410 is that I am probably springing for a 210mm or 250mm lens, and may use a teleconverter as well for some shots.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Understand . The Gitzo though has no bounce at all. You can have the drag on and move it and it stays than lock further. Need to actually try this one in a store if you can . Like it a lot better than the Bh-55 which you can't do this on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carsten, being among the guys on a budget (i know, it s*cks ) here i went for the mere 410 some time ago and i'm quite happy with it.

I think you're right to consider the 405 if the intended use is your Contax / Hassy with 210 or 250mm tele. Not that the 410 would break or anything close, but you'll get closer to the limits of best usability. Especially if you shoot outside in less controlled conditions (i use mine mainly inside the studio).

On a general note, for the price the only reservation i have with the Manfrotto geared head (on heavy Gitzo tripod) is the kinda slow adjustments. And it's probably not as precise as the Cube -but as said above, for studio purposes it's quite OK, it is sturdy enough, safe... and reasonnably priced. Doesn't hurt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, both 410 and 405 have the release which allows you to get in the right region quickly, and then the geared drive to fine-tune. Don't you find this to be satisfactory?

I am not sure that any of us in this forum can be said to be on a budget () but the Cube costs about 2 used Contax lenses, and the Multiflex 1 lens (and I am not totally comfortable with buying a copy), so the 405 looks like a relative bargain in comparison, even if there are some minor disadvantages compared to the Cube.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some more questions:

Does the 405 come with a bag, to put over it while carrying the tripod, like the RRS BH-55 does?

Is it possible to swap out the Manfrotto quick-release plate for an RRS equivalent?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes the quick release for major positionning is a cool, useful feature, though sometimes a bit clumsy in operation (e.g. you want to have a firm grip on the camera when using it for vertical positionning or you might be in for a nice adrenaline rush).

Re the replacement of the original 410PL (RC4 type) quick release by a RRS plate, last time i checked it was not readily possible but there was some kind of conversion or clamp required. Did not inquire any further, though -and i do ok with the 410PL/RC4.

No bag supplied with the 410 (well, at least mine), seems to be the same with the 405... to be confirmed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, what is the best way to convert from Manfrotto to RRS? Perhaps something like a "B2 LLR II"?
    Last edited by carstenw; 26th November 2009 at 07:38.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

This plate from Kirk fits the 410 geared head and allows for Arca style plates to be used with it. I find myself using the 410 a lot more after getting this plate.
    http://www.kirkphoto.com/SQRC-3271_M...ase_Clamp.html

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, the plate you noted is for the 410 (which you stated); if I understood correctly, Carsten asked about the 405 which uses a different plate. I have the 405 and love it; though, I only use it in the studio because my tripod & gearhead combo probably weighs more than 15 pounds. Here's the 410PL plate (B&H Link):

Post Thanks / Like

They use the same QR plate(410PL) so the Kirk adapter will work on either of them.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like

i have a 405, a 410 and an Arca B2

I don't like ball heads, but the B2 is really special, two balls... one per axe !
    It's by far the best head i've ever used !
    In windy conditions, it's much better than the other two !