The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cube test versus Manfrotto geared 410

John Black

I really liked the idea behind the cube but decided I would try the Manfrotto 410 first. At $165 on amazon with overnight shipping for another $4 it seemed like a no brainer. If it didn't work I would return it and ante up for the cube...
I started with a 410 about 5 years ago moved up to the 405 about a year later. I love the 405. It might be too clunky for travel, etc., but in a studio setting I really enjoy using it. Compared to the 410, the 405 controls are smooth and have a finer resolution (at least it feels that way). The Arca head looks nice, etc., but its too spendy for me. Anyway, the 405 has been great and is probably the only piece of gear I haven't flipped! LOL

thomas

This is a skewed bet that I wouldn't take, Thomas! The Cube is disgustingly fast and easy to level---and 2-3 seconds max to level the camera body is no exaggeration.
2 screws are 2 screws... how can they be faster on the cube? are they motorised? :D
Apart from that this it's honestly the very last thing I care about; as long as you can level smooth, easy and accurate that's all fine.
I still don't understand how you could think the cube is superior over the WRS leveling base regarding leveling the WRS. Other than fetishism :)

Don Libby

Lets face it - we all have our opinions on camera gear. Some of us also have what has become an obsession to prove others wrong if they disagree.

I think the bottom line here is if "it" works for you - each and every time you use "it" then great. More power to you for finding the right fit.

Just my 2¢ worth this morning....

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
2 screws are 2 screws... how can they be faster on the cube? are they motorised? :D
Well for one thing, the Cube does not use screws! It levels via a rack and pinion cradle, very different from a screw or worm drive...

:D,

Don Libby

Curious this morning -

How many folks here brought the Cube and found they don't like it?

How many people who actually tried it and don't like it?

How many people who can honesty answer the above 2 questions found the Cube "lacking" or "over-kill"?

David K

Workshop Member
Not me. I've rationalized that it's not a good choice for me as I shoot on the beach frequently and believe that blowing sand is not where this head was designed to be used. I sure hope nobody tells me otherwise :)

Don Libby

David - you might want to close your eyes, leave the room or open another thread.

While I normally don't shoot on a beach I do normally shoot in the Southwest where sand is everywhere! Sand will get into places nothing has or should. I've had to empty my camera and tripod bags and vacuum the inside just to get the sand out. I've open the rear door of my jeep and found several inches of sand on the sill.

On the other hand I've shoot in several feet of snow and sleet. Cold blowing snow and cold freezing sleet. I've had my beard frozen, batteries last minutes before having to change to re-warm them.

I've used my Cube in each instance without any problems whatsoever.

I'm sure others have their own experiences....

Cheers

Don

thomas

How many people who actually tried it and don't like it?

How many people who can honesty answer the above 2 questions found the Cube "lacking" or "over-kill"?
That is not the question.
The cube is beyond doubt by far the best allrounder head.
The question is: is any other head BS? No, it is not.
Overkill? Weight maybe? And the price for features one may not need (of course only in the case that certain features are in fact not needed).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not me. I've rationalized that it's not a good choice for me as I shoot on the beach frequently and believe that blowing sand is not where this head was designed to be used. I sure hope nobody tells me otherwise :)
Actually David a ball head maybe worse since it may get in there and grind away. The Cube I believe can actually be taken apart to clean but better check with Jack on that one for sure. He has done some work on them

Guy Mancuso

That is not the question.
The cube is beyond doubt by far the best allrounder head.
The question is: is any other head BS? No, it is not.
Overkill? Weight maybe? And the price for features one may not need (of course only in the case that certain features are in fact not needed).
Just from years of doing this there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to a tripod and the head . The bigger, the stronger, the better. Size matters here:D

thomas

Just from years of doing this there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to a tripod and the head . The bigger, the stronger, the better. Size matters here:D
So your Gitzo 3 series head is too light and too flimsey?
Why not cary a big heavy wood tripod (in the 6Kg league) with single extension? Or at least a light wood tripod with single extension?

Guy Mancuso

Actually Thomas it's not so much the weight being too light it is just rock solid in use. Besides wood in the desert i will get termites. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re sand in the Cube. One *HUGE* advantage of the Cube, is for the most part, its internal gearing is exposed. This means that while moisture, sand and other grit can and will get inside, it can also be removed easily, and in fact just a blow with your mouth is usually enough.

I have used mine in deserts all over the Southwest and along numerous beaches all over the world. Bottom line is sand, grit and moisture has never been an issue. It's more of a problem in my Gitzo legsets than it is in the Cube.

Guy Mancuso

Little trick I learned from Jack . Is extend the very bottom legs about 6 inches when in the dirt or sand so it never gets to the knobs on the legs. That folks was a workshop secret. LOL

thomas

Actually Thomas it's not so much the weight being too light it is just rock solid in use.
so not: "The bigger, the stronger, the better. Size matters here" :)
I know that the Gitzo is rock solid. I also use that head.
So now we have at least 3 heads that work: the cube, the WRS leveling base and the Gitzo 3 ball head. Doesn't sound that the cube is the sole solution on earth :rolleyes:

Tim Ernst

I have the Photoclam cube and one thing that really surprised me about it is how fast setup is compared to a ballhead (I have RRS, Markins, Arcatech, and Gitzo ballheads). In fact in many cases it is even quicker than a ballhead. I shot some at 1-2am yesterday morning in very dark conditions without a flashlight and it was still fast and easy even though I could not see what I was doing - I think the two very large knobs on the Photoclam cube head helped quite a bit but assume this would also be easy with the expensive version. I don't hesitate to recommend either version of these cube-type heads for anything but really fast-action shooting...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
so not: "The bigger, the stronger, the better. Size matters here" :)
I know that the Gitzo is rock solid. I also use that head.
So now we have at least 3 heads that work: the cube, the WRS leveling base and the Gitzo 3 ball head. Doesn't sound that the cube is the sole solution on earth :rolleyes:
Thomas, not sure what your negative attitude is all about regarding the Cube... First off, nobody here said the Cube is the *only* solution. In fact the opposite. What we are saying is it is an excellent solution for those that appreciate what it does and the way it works.

If a leveling base by itself works for you, then that's awesome, end of discussion. BUT, a leveling base is NOT a tripod head, and I don't want readers doing research to think it will replace a true, fully adjustable head for all situations, as it certainly will not! (But again, the fact it works for all of YOUR needs is awesome.)

And yes, still other folks prefer ball-heads over geared heads for a variety of reasons. Here there are several excellent choices from Arca, RRS, Kirk, Gitzo, Markins and others -- I even own a few of those myself and use them when they are a more appropriate choice than my Cube. (Which admittedly is only rarely for ME... :D)

Finally, the point of THIS thread was to discuss the relative merits/differences between GEARED heads, specifically the Manfrotto/Bogen 410 (and by inference 405) and the Cube. So to be clear, nobody is saying you have to have a geared head, all we are discussing is the relative merits of the Cube versus other geared choices and then peripherally, the relative merits and foibles of using a geared head over other designs.

And whether you like it or not, the fact remains that "the stronger the better" holds for all camera supports if you want critically sharp images with high-resolution digital imaging systems...

Cheers,