The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cube test versus Manfrotto geared 410

carstenw

I am thinking of going with John Black's comment and swimming against the stream here, while ducking Cube owners, and getting a 405 for my upcoming 3541XLS.

From what I read here, the 410 is slightly less stable than the Cube (at a millionth the price), and the 405 is slightly more stable than the 410... has anyone here been in the position of comparing the 405 with the Cube directly?

carstenw

Yes, I have heard good things about the new Gitzo ballheads, but then again, I heard good things about the BH-55 I now have, but I am not totally happy with it. The main problem is how to make a minute level adjustment in a controlled fashion while looking through the viewfinder, and I don't know of any ballhead which can do that.

Btw, the reason I am considering the 405 rather than the 410 is that I am probably springing for a 210mm or 250mm lens, and may use a teleconverter as well for some shots.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Understand . The Gitzo though has no bounce at all. You can have the drag on and move it and it stays than lock further. Need to actually try this one in a store if you can . Like it a lot better than the Bh-55 which you can't do this on it

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Carsten, being among the guys on a budget (i know, it s*cks :deadhorse:) here i went for the mere 410 some time ago and i'm quite happy with it.

I think you're right to consider the 405 if the intended use is your Contax / Hassy with 210 or 250mm tele. Not that the 410 would break or anything close, but you'll get closer to the limits of best usability. Especially if you shoot outside in less controlled conditions (i use mine mainly inside the studio).

On a general note, for the price the only reservation i have with the Manfrotto geared head (on heavy Gitzo tripod) is the kinda slow adjustments. And it's probably not as precise as the Cube -but as said above, for studio purposes it's quite OK, it is sturdy enough, safe... and reasonnably priced. Doesn't hurt :)

carstenw

Well, both 410 and 405 have the release which allows you to get in the right region quickly, and then the geared drive to fine-tune. Don't you find this to be satisfactory?

I am not sure that any of us in this forum can be said to be on a budget :))) but the Cube costs about 2 used Contax lenses, and the Multiflex 1 lens (and I am not totally comfortable with buying a copy), so the 405 looks like a relative bargain in comparison, even if there are some minor disadvantages compared to the Cube.

carstenw

I have some more questions:

Does the 405 come with a bag, to put over it while carrying the tripod, like the RRS BH-55 does?

Is it possible to swap out the Manfrotto quick-release plate for an RRS equivalent?

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Yes the quick release for major positionning is a cool, useful feature, though sometimes a bit clumsy in operation (e.g. you want to have a firm grip on the camera when using it for vertical positionning or you might be in for a nice adrenaline rush).

Re the replacement of the original 410PL (RC4 type) quick release by a RRS plate, last time i checked it was not readily possible but there was some kind of conversion or clamp required. Did not inquire any further, though -and i do ok with the 410PL/RC4.

No bag supplied with the 410 (well, at least mine), seems to be the same with the 405... to be confirmed.

carstenw

Hmm, what is the best way to convert from Manfrotto to RRS? Perhaps something like a "B2 LLR II"?

Last edited:

John Black

Ron, the plate you noted is for the 410 (which you stated); if I understood correctly, Carsten asked about the 405 which uses a different plate. I have the 405 and love it; though, I only use it in the studio because my tripod & gearhead combo probably weighs more than 15 pounds. Here's the 410PL plate (B&H Link):

archivue

i have a 405, a 410 and an Arca B2

I don't like ball heads, but the B2 is really special, two balls... one per axe !
It's by far the best head i've ever used !
In windy conditions, it's much better than the other two !