The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 39mp CFV back

KeithL

Thanks. Sorry for the elementary question, but does this mean the widest one can go with this system in square format with V lenses is effectively 45mm = roughly 30mm in 35mm format terms?
cjl

The widest you can go when shooting square and using V Series lenses is 45mm, 1.5 x 30mm, but the 30mm is a fisheye lens which is unsuitable for most applications. Practically speaking, the widest you can go is 60mm, 1.5 x 40mm.

Keith

Stuart Richardson

Can you use FE lenses with the CF backs (not the CFV)? I like the idea of this CFV back a lot, and I might even consider selling my Hy6 system for it, but I agree that the non-rotating aspect is a bit of a downer. I mostly shoot in landscape, but not always...portraiture or even certain landscapes benefit from a vertical composition. What is the screen like on this new CFV? Is it equivalent to the latest Hasselblad backs, or is it older technology?

T

tetsrfun

What is the screen like on this new CFV?
From the spec. sheet the LCD is the same 2.5" as the CFVII. I think that as much of the CFVII as possible was used for the 39 in order to keep the cost down. One of the advantages of the CFV system is that it is mechanically connected to the "V" series body so no external cable is needed. The mechanical connection would make a rotating back very difficult to make, IMO.

Uaiomex

But these "wisemen" could have implemented a rotating sensor like Leaf's Verto for another 1K. Total price: 15K. I think this back is the silliest new product of the year.
Eduardo

What is the screen like on this new CFV?
From the spec. sheet the LCD is the same 2.5" as the CFVII. I think that as much of the CFVII as possible was used for the 39 in order to keep the cost down. One of the advantages of the CFV system is that it is mechanically connected to the "V" series body so no external cable is needed. The mechanical connection would make a rotating back very difficult to make, IMO.

fotografz

This is very interesting!
I am just wondering how one would use it for stitching on a view camera?

Francois
View cameras are different. You can rotate the back for either orientation with any back including this one. Stitching adapters are available in V mount for most any view camera.

fotografz

The CF back has its own battery source.

Correct though, a flash sync cord would be needed.
Just to be clear:

On a 500 series camera, a Sync cord from lens to digital back would be required with ANY digital back other than the CFV ... including any Hasselblad CF/CF-II, Phase One, Leaf or Sinar digital back.

fotografz

But these "wisemen" could have implemented a rotating sensor like Leaf's Verto for another 1K. Total price: 15K. I think this back is the silliest new product of the year.
Eduardo
Why then is the Leaf rotating sensor so expensive? It sure isn't 1K more than the Leaf Aptus-II 75s. Leaf could have made the 75s a rotating sensor ... why didn't they do it since they have the technology already developed?

fotografz

Can you use FE lenses with the CF backs (not the CFV)? I like the idea of this CFV back a lot, and I might even consider selling my Hy6 system for it, but I agree that the non-rotating aspect is a bit of a downer. I mostly shoot in landscape, but not always...portraiture or even certain landscapes benefit from a vertical composition. What is the screen like on this new CFV? Is it equivalent to the latest Hasselblad backs, or is it older technology?
Stuart, I have the CFV-II which uses the latest LCD screen, same as all the Hasselblad CF-II backs. It's fine. This is the same screen.

As far as I can tell this is also the latest back technology from Hasselblad ... I assume it employs the same sensor filter as on the CF-II and H3D-II/31&39 backs which improved reflection resistance. It is also an improvement over the top ISO 400 of the CFV-II in terms of providing ISO 800 and twice the shooting time (from 32 to 64 seconds).

fotografz

Well, Jurgen, what can I say? If it fits you, buy it. Congratulations. Wouldn't you be better set with a P45 that rotates any way you want and gives 39mp with a 1:1 crop ALWAYS?
A used mint P45 now goes for 12K usd, probably less. Wish I had that money saved.
Truly yours
Eduardo
Well Eduardo, I for one am grateful for Hasselblad's continued support of the V series cameras well into the digital age ... even long discontinued models.

Most importantly to me, the CFV is the ONLY digital back in the entire world that is fully functional at all shutter speeds on the wonderful Hasselblad focal plane cameras.

Not any Phase One, Not any Sinar, Not any Leaf ... not even Hasselblad CF/CF-II backs work.

ONLY the CFV/16 and CFV-II/16 ... and now the CFV-II/39 ... are fully functional on the wonderful 200 series cameras. And does it without the need for a sync cord. The 203FE is my favorite camera of all time ... on which I can use all the 200 Zeiss series lenses ... AND all of the 500 series Zeiss lenses in either focal plane or leaf shutter modes!

V stuff is without a doubt the best freaking photo investment I have ever made. I can use all the V lenses on just about every camera I own, as well as use all the 500 series lenses fully functional on the H cameras with focus confirmation.

Victor Hasselblad was a genius ... the immortal V lives on ... and on ... and on ... WAHOOOOOO !

:thumbs:

jlm

Workshop Member
mark:
i'm curious how a rectangular format would feel in a camera whose ergonomics are based on square...i'll have to play around with that, flipping my blad on it's side...grrr!

Last edited:

fotografz

mark:
i'm curious how a rectangular format would feel in a camera whose ergonomics are based on square...i'll have to play around with that, flipping my blad on it's side...grrr!
Hmmm, I thought I had answered this question before ... must have forgot to hit send ... LOL!

The solution would be one more for tripod work I think. Using one of the aux finders that allow use of the camera on it's side like shown below:

PeterA

Marc - how have you connected the tripod there? :toocool:

My next purchase will be for a larger chip size - not more megapixels..this probably means I wont be buying anything for a long time if ever ..but I have to say I am very happy with what I already have I dont need more megapixels..

Leica isnt as silly as many think withteh S2 it is the DSLR that a lot of MFD shooters want..the otehr side of the coin is please someone make the chip in SIZE and FORMAT that technical camera and square camera shooters want..

robertwright

Hmmm, I thought I had answered this question before ... must have forgot to hit send ... LOL!

The solution would be one more for tripod work I think. Using one of the aux finders that allow use of the camera on it's side like shown below:
with the winder and the pm-45 prism you can hold the camera sideways-for example if you were shooting 6x45 you had no choice but to do this. there is another prism that goes straight back too instead of 45 degrees.

often times I would shoot the camera vertically even when it was 6x6 just so I could get the camera high enough to look into my subjects eye if I did not want to look up at them. you get used to it.

Paratom

I can see how for Hassy-V 200 Series users the cfv and specially the new cfv are great news.
I might have even decided for a Hassy 203 or 205 with V-lenses if this back had been available at the time I enter MF-world. (I am happy with what Ihave now, but for me the V-System is still very interesting and for some reason a timeless system)

Well Eduardo, I for one am grateful for Hasselblad's continued support of the V series cameras well into the digital age ... even long discontinued models.

Most importantly to me, the CFV is the ONLY digital back in the entire world that is fully functional at all shutter speeds on the wonderful Hasselblad focal plane cameras.

Not any Phase One, Not any Sinar, Not any Leaf ... not even Hasselblad CF/CF-II backs work.

ONLY the CFV/16 and CFV-II/16 ... and now the CFV-II/39 ... are fully functional on the wonderful 200 series cameras. And does it without the need for a sync cord. The 203FE is my favorite camera of all time ... on which I can use all the 200 Zeiss series lenses ... AND all of the 500 series Zeiss lenses in either focal plane or leaf shutter modes!

V stuff is without a doubt the best freaking photo investment I have ever made. I can use all the V lenses on just about every camera I own, as well as use all the 500 series lenses fully functional on the H cameras with focus confirmation.

Victor Hasselblad was a genius ... the immortal V lives on ... and on ... and on ... WAHOOOOOO !

:thumbs:

fotografz

with the winder and the pm-45 prism you can hold the camera sideways-for example if you were shooting 6x45 you had no choice but to do this. there is another prism that goes straight back too instead of 45 degrees.

often times I would shoot the camera vertically even when it was 6x6 just so I could get the camera high enough to look into my subjects eye if I did not want to look up at them. you get used to it.
Yes, I have done that with a 503CW which accepts more finders than the 203FE.

The 503CW winder, which includes a hand strap, also makes it easier to use the camera on it's side than does the 203FE winder.

Peter, the camera is secured on a Gitzo ball head using a Hasselblad quick release that mates with the camera without the need for a QR plate on the camera (it's built-in to all V and H bodies)

fotografz

mark:
Actually, to re-address this ... this is my dilemma right now, I have a 203FE with CFV-II/16 meg square back. Plus, I already have the ability to shoot the Zeiss 500 series lenses with a 39 meg back using the H3D-II and CF adapter. Holding the H camera for portrait orientation is how the camera is designed (like all 645 cameras).

But it is the 203FE that is of interest here due to being a focal plane camera with fast Zeiss FE lenses.

Money is as tight as can possibly be imagined right now and even $14K is a very serious amount of cash ... something will have to give to make this happen. A divorce is the most expensive option of them all ... :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Eduardo
If it would cost another $1000 then for sure.

But, to redesign, casing and electronics would be like creating a whole new product and push it way over the price that makes it attractive today.

Best ,

David

fotografz

Marc

An other possible option for a finder but heavier than the RMfx .
Just look at the viewer . That viewer is very good .
View attachment 19060

Jürgen
Yep, I have that finder ... in terms of build quality, they don't make 'em like that anymore : -)

Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the 203FE because it lacks the cut out slot at the top for the 200 viewfinder display like the RMFx one does (shown below on a 203FE).

I looked at possibly modifying it using the mount from another finder, but nothing lines up, and the mount is integrated into the finder rather than being a separate simple mount.

Uaiomex

David: I have 2 great ideas.

You're right, there is no free lunch but I think I have 2 killer ideas:
First idea:
Tell the guys in the upper levels to bring the CFV39 back in 2 flavors:

One with the horizontal sensor for the guys that prefer landscape orientation in a WLF camera like Jurgen for example.

And one model with the sensor in vertical position for guys that would prefer a WLF camera for studio work.

Seriously, think about it. As far as I'm concerned, the wlf camera is prefered by some because it allows to compose "groundglass style, and to quickly fine focus by the flip of the magnifier. Other advantage is that since the photographer is looking down, the model or sitter feels more at ease. I know this because I was told that many times in my studio. The other advantage of the wlf camera is that your face is actually above the camera not behind, allowing for more immediate rapport since the sitter can "see you working". Of course, a few disadvantages for landscape photographers may be, like difficulting camera operation next to floor level.
Cost of this variation seems to me to be of low cost.

Second idea: Bring a CFV back with a 44X33 sensor with the verto-like rotating feature. With the savings of the smaller sensor Hasselblad could implement the rotating mechanism for the same price.

Thanks for reading
Eduardo

If it would cost another $1000 then for sure.

But, to redesign, casing and electronics would be like creating a whole new product and push it way over the price that makes it attractive today.

Best ,

David