The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 39mp CFV back

fotografz

The more I know about this back, the more I say that it is a no-win silly product.
Hasselblad 5xxCFV39. "The only-horizontal camera in the world":ROTFL:

Eduardo
So, don't buy it.

The PME45/PM45 does work.

BTW, the leaf AFi did not have a rotating back either, and only the stunningly expensive Leaf back with the rotating sensor would.

Well, I just tried the same thing with the 203FE and it's winder and you are right! :thumbs: It's a non-issue. :clap: Very easy and natural to use this way ... who whould have thunk it?
I don't know if it's sea-sickness or vertigo-related, but I find using the 45 degree prism vertically on my Rollei hand-held makes me want to throw up. The experience is quite unpleasant! :(

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I don't know if it's sea-sickness or vertigo-related . . . . . . .:(
I have put my 503CW + PME45 + Winder together and was surprised , that I do not really feel the weight . The winder's leather strap helps a lot here .
No , it is not sea-sickness nor vertigo , it is just a little bit funny and you have to get used to it . Standing or looking at "45 degrees forward" .

I think , I had more trouble to get the winder attached , as I did not use it for some years . The manual did not tell me much , but I finally managed .

I am looking very much forward to get the CFV-39 and try that combo .
I have also tried the RM-2 viewer . It is an even better solution , especially , because it is easier to attach the CFV and the magnification of the RM-2 is excellent .

Marc

As the winder can not be attached to the 203FE , the lack of seeing the exposure data caused by the RM-2 + 203FE is of no problem here .

Jürgen

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The more I know about this back, the more I say that it is a no-win silly product.
Hasselblad 5xxCFV39. "The only-horizontal camera in the world":ROTFL:
Eduardo
Eduardo

I have been playing around now quite a bit with the 503CW + RM-2 prism + 503 winder . No problem for landscape and portrait position .
I like it more and more . I wish you could have that combo in your hands , you woud change your mind .:) An image will follow .
For me , this is the best solution , that could ever happen to me .

The only trouble I have is , that I am right handed , and therefore I would need a exposure meter for left-handers . :confused:

Any advice ? ? ?

Jürgen

T

tetsrfun

I have been playing around now quite a bit with the 503CW + RM-2 prism + 503 winder
Looking at the RM-2 in Nordin, 503CW+RM-2+winder+CFV39 looks like an ideal combination; if TTlL exposure metering isn't needed. I have found metering much less useful with a Digital back than it is with 12 exp. film magazines.

Steve

bensonga

I am looking very much forward to get the CFV-39 and try that combo .
Jürgen
I was on vacation when this news and thread was first posted here (and on the Hasselbladinfo.com site). When I returned home and saw the title "39mp CFV Back", for some unknown reason, I assumed that it was a joke.....and so I ignored it. Better if I had...because now I am so envious of Jurgen and others who will soon be enjoying the best of the best....classic Hasselblad V-system bodies, Zeiss optics and a truly world class digital back! Congratulations Jurgen...and we look forward to seeing the results of "first light" (to use a term popular in the astronomical community) with this fine CFV-39. :thumbs:

Gary
Alaska

fotografz

Marc

As the winder can not be attached to the 203FE , the lack of seeing the exposure data caused by the RM-2 + 203FE is of no problem here .

Jürgen
I'm not following this comment Jurgen. Could you please explain a bit more?

I have the longer RM finder for the 70mm film back, but not the regular length one. I cannot even mount the RM on the 203FE. I will not slide all the way in like it does for the 500 cameras. I can mount the 200 winder and the CFV back.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I'm not following this comment Jurgen. Could you please explain a bit more?
I have the longer RM finder for the 70mm film back, but not the regular length one. I cannot even mount the RM on the 203FE. I will not slide all the way in like it does for the 500 cameras. I can mount the 200 winder and the CFV back.
Marc

Sorry for the confusion . If I read my update , I am now confused as well .
I know the RM-2 can not be mounted to the 203FE . I had a rework in mind , but in the meantime , I decided not to do so .
That chromed material is very hard and if something should go wrong , I would not get spares .
Therefore , I will use the 503CW with the RM-2 and the winder . I will leave both attached to the body all the time .

The RM-2 is the long viewer and has a brilliant magnification . Also it leaves enough space to attach a CFV/CFV-39 , even for people with bigger fingers .

Therefore , my 203FE + CVF/CFV-39 will be the working horse for the FE lenses and the usage of the
PME45 or DPS .
Having the 501CM as backup .

I find the F-Winder handy , but not as good as the 503 winder . I am missing the leather strap for a save holding of the combo .

Sorry again for the confusion .

As for the "left hander" exposure meter , I can use the SEKONIC L-398 M , which can easily be used
with both hands .
But , as Steve pointed out , metering is not that much useful with digital .

Jürgen

fotografz

I was told that if you modify the silver metal plate underneath the RM-2 to look like the plate shown here (at the end of the section on the PME-90) the RM-2 will work just fine on the 200-series.

Anybody know if the LCD is visible in this situation?

-Brad
Brad, I cannot see how the plate on the RM-1 and RM-2 finders can be modified. Unlike the plate for the PM45 and PM90 which are simply mount plates held in by screws, the mount plate on my RM-2 wraps into the finder and looks to be integrated into holding the finder optics.

A Hassey repair person like Dave Odes may be better able to answer this question. I don't think he repairs 200 series cameras, but may well know the inner workings of the RM finders.

http://www.david-odess.com/index.html

Could be a cottage indsustry for some enterprising person with a Dremmel Tool :ROTFL:

I wonder how many of the shorter barrel RM-1s are out there in used land? There was also an older version of the shorter barrel RM-1 finder: HC-4 (cat.No. 52086) but some folks found it difficult to use.

Just a note: anyone with a PM90 or PME90 finder ... do not put the CFV back on with this finder mounted ... the PM90s have a lever that releases the film backs but it does not release the secondary security button on the CFVs ... unless of course you intend NEVER taking the CFV off the camera ... :ROTFL:

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Marc

The RM-2 is very difficult to find .
I was lucky to get that from E-bay a couple of years ago . It is in mint condition and served as a collectors item .
These lazy days are over now .

Jürgen

BradleyGibson

Brad, I cannot see how the plate on the RM-1 and RM-2 finders can be modified. Unlike the plate for the PM45 and PM90 which are simply mount plates held in by screws, the mount plate on my RM-2 wraps into the finder and looks to be integrated into holding the finder optics.
Ok--I've gone ahead and purchased one. It appears that this one can be disassembled and modified. It may take a couple of weeks to put together a test 203FE system, but I will let folks here know of the outcome (RM-2 + 203FE), if there is interest.

Just a note: anyone with a PM90 or PME90 finder ... do not put the CFV back on with this finder mounted ... the PM90s have a lever that releases the film backs but it does not release the secondary security button on the CFVs ... unless of course you intend NEVER taking the CFV off the camera ... :ROTFL:
So are you saying that it is physically possible to mount a PM90 and a CFV at the same time (if one ignores the interlock issue you point out?) I am curious if the eyepiece blocks the CFV display at all?

Thanks,
-Brad

Forrest Black

If you guys can find someone who reads Cantonese, these Hong Kong photographers modified a CW Winder with parts from an F Winder to work on the 203FE : http://forum.xitek.com/showarchives.php?threadid=378471

Apparently, all that is required is the motor pin from the F Winder to be swapped with that from the CW Winder and a slight modification to the CW Winder mounting plate.

The photos are self-explanatory.

Knock yourselves out.

I have seen pictures of the PME-90 on a 503CW mated with a PhaseOne P25. Perhaps the P25 is a little shallower than the CFV back. I wonder why Hasselblad makes things difficult for its customers sometimes.

Last edited:
T

tetsrfun

Will the older HC3/70 (52043) work with the 200 series. Nordin specifically says that he RM-2 won't work but make no mention of the HC 3.

Steve

BradleyGibson

Wow, thank you, Forrest!

I did manage to locate a modified CW winder modified to fit the 203FE, but this is fantastic. I have always been concerned about a backup. I know Hasselblad did this for NASA, but with this, it shouldn't be too hard to make another, should the need arise.

Yes, I do believe the P25 is shallower than the CFV, unfortunately.

Many thanks.

For any adventurous folks out there, here is Steve's article translated to English.

Also, I just found a guy who modified his 200-series camera to accept an unmodified winder (kind of solving the problem the other way around). He posts brief instructions here.

Also,
-Brad

If you guys can find someone who reads Cantonese, these Hong Kong photographers modified a CW Winder with parts from an F Winder to work on the 203FE : http://forum.xitek.com/showarchives.php?threadid=378471

Apparently, all that is required is the motor pin from the F Winder to be swapped with that from the CW Winder and a slight modification to the CW Winder mounting plate.

The photos are self-explanatory.

Knock yourselves out.

I have seen pictures of the PME-90 on a 503CW mated with a PhaseOne P25. Perhaps the P25 is a little shallower than the CFV back. I wonder why Hasselblad makes things difficult for its customers sometimes.

Last edited: