The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 39mp CFV back

fotografz

Is there any reason to use the CW winder other than the ergonomics? It is .8FPS versus 1.3FPS in the FE winder, right? I am still very curious to see who designed the shape of the FE winder, especially since everything else in the 203FE falls to the hand so nicely.
If Arrested Development was not a tv show, I would think that maybe Buster designed it:
The advantage of the CW winder on a 503CW is that the viewfinder doesn't go black on you when shooting a sequence. Without it you (usually) have to take the camera from your eye and wind the camera to recock the lens shutter and drop the mirror back down. It's not a motor drive, just a winder.

BradleyGibson

The advantage of the CW winder on a 503CW is that the viewfinder doesn't go black on you when shooting a sequence. Without it you (usually) have to take the camera from your eye and wind the camera to recock the lens shutter and drop the mirror back down. It's not a motor drive, just a winder.
I interpreted Stuart's question as asking about the advantages of the CW winder versus the FE winder. Marc, I assume you are describing the experience of hand-winding?

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding--I've not used the FE winder.

-Brad

fotografz

I interpreted Stuart's question as asking about the advantages of the CW winder versus the FE winder. Marc, I assume you are describing the experience of hand-winding?

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding--I've not used the FE winder.

-Brad
Oh, I get it now.

Hmmm, I think the 203 can be set to continuously shoot with mirror up and the 503 mirror has to be manually done each shot. I don't have a 503/CW winder anymore to check that for sure.

So if I'm right, doing a sequence of images for dead-on register the 200 winder may have the advantage in that you wouldn't have to touch the camera. But if you alter a CW winder to work on a 200 camera, then it's not an advantage.

I'm sure I'll be corrected on this if wrong :ROTFL:

BTW, the 200 winder is actually quite nice to use ... the design is such that you hold and shoot the camera as you would with no winder except you hook your thumb into the space between the winder and body. So like with no winder, both hands are holding the camera from below. Works better with a WL finder.

For holding the camera on it's side using a prism finder, I think the CW would be better because of the grip strap.

Last edited:

Seascape

Just picked up a HC3/70 prism. Thought I should jump on it before everyone wants one. It is 4x magnification, which is the highest of all Hasselblad prisms I believe.

Very well made, it not only has the diopter adjustment, there is also a lock so that the diopter setting does not move.

Made in Wetzlar BTW.

T

tetsrfun

It is 4x magnification, which is the highest of all Hasselblad prisms I believe.
Correct.. The newer RM-2 is 3x mag.

Steve

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Oh, I get it now.
Hmmm, I think the 203 can be set to continuously shoot with mirror up and the 503 mirror has to be manually done each shot. I don't have a 503/CW winder anymore to check that for sure.
So if I'm right, doing a sequence of images for dead-on register the 200 winder may have the advantage in that you wouldn't have to touch the camera. But if you alter a CW winder to work on a 200 camera, then it's not an advantage.
I'm sure I'll be corrected on this if wrong :ROTFL:
BTW, the 200 winder is actually quite nice to use ... the design is such that you hold and shoot the camera as you would with no winder except you hook your thumb into the space between the winder and body. So like with no winder, both hands are holding the camera from below. Works better with a WL finder.
For holding the camera on it's side using a prism finder, I think the CW would be better because of the grip strap.
Hello Marc

Please note , that the auto-bracketing function of the 203FE will not successfully work with the CFVI/II , because the camera is faster than the data transfer from the sensor to the CF-Card .
In other words , the second shot will be done , before all data from the first shot are stored .
This was discussed in the camera-info.com forum quite some time ago .
I don't know , if it will work with the CFV-39 back .
If the CFV-39 would be fast enough , then it would be very easy to create a series of images to be used for HDRI imaging .

Jürgen

fotografz

Hello Marc

Please note , that the auto-bracketing function of the 203FE will not successfully work with the CFVI/II , because the camera is faster than the data transfer from the sensor to the CF-Card .
In other words , the second shot will be done , before all data from the first shot are stored .
This was discussed in the camera-info.com forum quite some time ago .
I don't know , if it will work with the CFV-39 back .
If the CFV-39 would be fast enough , then it would be very easy to create a series of images to be used for HDRI imaging .

Jürgen
Thanks Jurgen ... yes it will depend on the capture rate of this new back.

However, I wasn't thinking of it as a rapid sequence, as much as the ability to shoot a series without touching the camera to put the mirror up ... and having to wait for the mirror lock vibration to dissipate. But maybe the winder introduces vibration anyway.

fotografz

T

tetsrfun

Drop the camera and they fix it or give you all your money back including sales tax if applicable.
Anyone here have experience with that company? The coverage sounds too good to be true...especially when Hasselblad is the only point of service for their digital backs, as far as I know.

Steve

fotografz

Drop the camera and they fix it or give you all your money back including sales tax if applicable.
Anyone here have experience with that company? The coverage sounds too good to be true...especially when Hasselblad is the only point of service for their digital backs, as far as I know.

Steve
That is a good question Steve. When you think about it, any high end digital camera can probably only be fixed by the maker unless it's really a simple repair.

So, it would be interesting to know the track record of the Sagemax Insurance. I have a 3 year on my Sony A900 from B&H ... but it's still under factory warranty if something goes wrong ... however, if I dropped the camera, Sony certainly would not fix it under warranty.

T

tetsrfun

That is a good question Steve.
The description of the coverage just reads like coverage for "high-end" cars which can be "iffy" when needed. I would assume that B&H would be cautious with recommending coverage, so who knows??

Steve

Stuart Richardson

Well you can be sure of one thing -- they make money from the coverage. So either the backs don't break much (likely), they are inexpensive to fix or replace (unlikely), or they don't cover them well when they do (also likely). Figuring out the interplay between these factors is the crux of the issue.

fotografz

Well you can be sure of one thing -- they make money from the coverage. So either the backs don't break much (likely), they are inexpensive to fix or replace (unlikely), or they don't cover them well when they do (also likely). Figuring out the interplay between these factors is the crux of the issue.
All speculation on our part. For something like a DB, I'd ask a lot of questions.

I think these are all based on volume and they just refund the money ... the hassel probably isn't worth it to them. It's all a number's game.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
HASSELBLAD Germany has shipped the first lot of CFV-39 digital backs to the dealers today .
Mine is among that first lot .:clap:
I expect it to arrive till the end of the coming week .

Jürgen

MFnLF

HASSELBLAD Germany has shipped the first lot of CFV-39 digital backs to the dealers today .
Mine is among that first lot .:clap:
I expect it to arrive till the end of the coming week .

Jürgen
Shall look forward for your first hand review ...:salute:

jlm

Workshop Member
i just started paying attention...may have to part with my CFV back and the rollei, keeping the 205 and going to the CFV-39

much more economical than trying to put the P45 on the rollei

stephengilbert

One reason for the insurance being cheap may be that coverage for anything included in the manufacturer's warranty doesn't being until that warranty ends. So if Hassy gives you one year, the back-up coverage covers the following two years. I suspect that most non-accident failures occur early.

Also, the policy does not cover "DAMAGE FROM ABUSE, MISUSE, INTRODUCTION OF FOREIGN OBJECTS INTO THE PRODUCT, UNAUTHORIZED PRODUCT MODIFICATIONS OR ALTERATIONS, FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER’S INSTRUCTIONS." You'd really want to know that the company was construing this term in a reasonable manner. I think Marc's right: the most important issue is whether the company is reputable.