The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In memoriam F&H

BradleyGibson

It is a nice thought, but I don't think it'll play out that way. Here's why:

Manufacturing contracts such as these typically have minimum volume commitments associated with them. (Leaf was signed on to the Hy6 project for this very reason-- Jenoptik needed more volume than they could commit to on their own, and Leaf needed a body they could call their own).

Relatively low sales combined with this contractual obligation = high inventories (also expensive for Sinar). If these circumstances came to be when Jenoptik had a manufacturer online and in full swing, it is hard to see why things would be any better with a new manufacturer.

Arguably a new manufacturer might be more expensive than F&H, which wouldn't help the Hy6 price point. And, of course, they'd want their own minimum volume guarantees... Who is going to sign up for these volumes? Phase/Mamiya/Leaf is standing pat, Hasselblad certainly isn't going to bail these guys out, and Sinar's already backlogged with inventory! That leaves... Hmmm...

To complicate matters, someone'd have to step up for the optics Manufacturing too (again, with new attendant volume committments)--my understanding is that F&H did the assembly and HFT optical coatings of Rollei lenses--decades of experience. All difficult (ie. expensive) to replace.

It's hard for me to see all that coming together for the Hy6, unfortunately.

Bradley,
if Sinar has stock full with Hy6 the question is if this wouldnt maybe be an rgument to try to ensure that the Hy6 will be continued. The announcement would make it much easier for SInar to sell the Hy6 they have in stock. Otherwise I would be happy if they keep some in stock so I know they have all spareparts available for my Hy6 ;)

Last edited:

Paratom

It is a nice thought, but I don't think it'll play out that way. Here's why:

Manufacturing contracts such as these typically have minimum volume commitments associated with them. (Leaf was signed on to the Hy6 project for this very reason-- Jenoptik needed more volume than they could commit to on their own, and Leaf needed a body they could call their own).

Relatively low sales combined with this contractual obligation = high inventories (also expensive for Sinar). If these circumstances came to be when Jenoptik had a manufacturer online and in full swing, it is hard to see why things would be any better with a new manufacturer.

Arguably a new manufacturer might be more expensive than F&H, which wouldn't help the Hy6 price point. And, of course, they'd want their own minimum volume guarantees... Who is going to sign up for these volumes? Phase/Mamiya/Leaf is standing pat, Hasselblad certainly isn't going to bail these guys out, and Sinar's already backlogged with inventory! That leaves... Hmmm...

To complicate matters, someone'd have to step up for the optics Manufacturing too (again, with new attendant volume committments)--my understanding is that F&H did the assembly and HFT optical coatings of Rollei lenses--decades of experience. All difficult (ie. expensive) to replace.

It's hard for me to see all that coming together for the Hy6, unfortunately.
Maybe you are right. In this case I hope nobody will buy a Hy6 from now on, so prices will fall dramatically and I can buy a spare body for low money;)

carstenw

BTW, you can buy a H3D that accepts film backs ... used or refurb. It is the H3D-II that no longer accepts film backs. Not many Pros I know shoot film for professional work anymore ... I'm sure there are some, but I don't know any, and I know a lot of professional photographers.
In general I think that Hasselblad's strategy is very clever, and their price-cuts were very well timed. The system is very complete and well designed, and their advertising is very, very good. The system apparently is well matched for the intended uses. I am personally at odds with their ruthless strategy of moving everything in-house and forcing their users to follow, as much as they can, as well as trim backwards compatibility to the minimal needed to string people along. I most of all am unhappy with their continued attempts to kill off the V, one of the most important and loved serious cameras of all time, right up there with the Leica M3.

Their release of the CFV-39 completely took me by surprise. I had personally voiced my wish for such a thing on several occasions (and locations), as have many others, but most had given up hope at this point. It looks a little as if the management has decided that they need to keep people happy with the brand in these difficult times, and not give people too many reasons to defect, which is sound thinking. But really, releasing a back for the V? Wow, what is next then? A black H3D???

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think it comes down to what ever will create market share and sales than companies like Phase and Hassy will do that. The V is a prime example of many folks having these bodies and lenses been sitting in there closets and Hassy decided to take advantage of it. It creates revenue and eventually will move people up the to the H line. Pretty good thinking. Companies will try and pull more rabbits out of the hat.