The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Frankie/Heidecke Closed. Leaf AFi is now dead.

Graham Mitchell

Jack, I think that's a bit different. If I remember correctly, Zeiss wanted to save the Contax but Kyocera didn't play ball (they had exclusive right to manufacture which they wouldn't relinquish). If Kyocera had not been so difficult, the C645 would have survived and perhaps become Phase's preferred partner rather than Mamiya. Oh well, it's all history now.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agreed Graham, it was a different scenario as respects the details, but at the end of the day still pretty similar from the macro (macro in the economic, not photographic sense!) perspective...

Paratom

Actually, the sync speed is 1/90th with the 200 series cameras, which is okay in the studio, but not so good for fill outdoors ... however, with the 500 series lenses mounted on the 200 series cameras all shutter speeds are available up to 1/500th are available ... basically the camera can be a two shutter system depending on which lenses you use. It's not an either or situation with the 200 cameras.

NO, the new CVF/39 doesn't rotate ... the full 39 meg 1.1X use of the sensor is limited to landscape orientation ... especially when using the waist level finder ... same as the Leaf AFi which doesn't offer a rotating back either.

Since the meter is in the camera body on the 200 cameras, there are finders that will allow shooting the camera on it's side, I know, I have one : -)

However, I can also use this same back on my RZ Pro-II which does have a rotating back.
Leaf offered a rotating sensor in the AFI, IMO even more advanced than a rotating back.

Uaiomex

My guess is that when you rotate the sensor in the Afi, the LCD crops accordingly. That's not bad!
My 64M question is why Hasselblad didn't do something like this in the CFV39 back. It beats me, other than patents. The CFV39 is 100% the exact back for a built-in rotating sensor in a must be stationary back.
I swear to god, I'd be at my bank early tomorrow for a loan to buy it.

In the meantime, 30 minutes ago, I spent 3K usd in a new 5D2 and accesories. As the world turns...

Eduardo

Have to disagree with you there. If you rotate the whole back, then the LCD's orientation matches the sensor. Nothing else makes sense.

carstenw

Over on LL someone thought that the Hasselblad I-Adapter system would allow attaching the CFV-39 in the portrait orientation. Does anyone know how this works?

I don't believe that the CFV-39 is any competition for the Hy6 or AFi. The 203FE or 205FCC, nice as they are, are still legacy products without modern niceties like autofocus or focus bracketing, etc. I am sure that the CFv-39 will make a number of people very happy, and hey, I would love to own a 203FE/CFV-39 combo myself, but that doesn't mean it competes at the current cutting edge.

fotografz

Over on LL someone thought that the Hasselblad I-Adapter system would allow attaching the CFV-39 in the portrait orientation. Does anyone know how this works?

I don't believe that the CFV-39 is any competition for the Hy6 or AFi. The 203FE or 205FCC, nice as they are, are still legacy products without modern niceties like autofocus or focus bracketing, etc. I am sure that the CFv-39 will make a number of people very happy, and hey, I would love to own a 203FE/CFV-39 combo myself, but that doesn't mean it competes at the current cutting edge.
Agreed.

However, I liked using a Leica M over the "cutting edge" Contax G ... and many people including myself like the shooting experience of the V camera in a similar way. Cutting edge doesn't always mean "better" to everyone all of the time.

BTW, the iAdapter system is for CF and CF-II backs which do not have an integrated mount allowing it to be used on a number of different cameras. The CFV mount is integrated and is a V mount.

fotografz

Leaf offered a rotating sensor in the AFI, IMO even more advanced than a rotating back.
The Leaf rotating sensor is indeed a wonder. I was very taken by the idea ... until I saw the price tag ... an amount I would be unwilling to spend on a V system.

Besides, it is useless for my purposes since I use 203FE V cameras ... on which none of the Leaf backs will work.

Geoff

Folks, I am both a pragmatist and a student of history... I'll point out we went through a similar debate when Contax folded -- every Contax shooter wanted some savior to come in and keep the line alive. Heck, even ex-Contax shooters like me wanted to see a savior. There was even talk about users forming a company to continue production. But we all know how that ended. And unfortunately, the story is more than likely going to have the same ending for the Hy6 regardless of how many of us want it to be different.
agreed. Most likely.

D

dwdmguy

Yes, ditto times two. I felt it with so many, xpan, et. al. The technology will not be sold as not to create more competition for themselves. Just leave it in the vault and move on is their thoughts. The new owners of the AFi system must be up in arms.

Uaiomex

Marc: Wouldn't you buy a CFV39 with a Verto-like rotating sensor as in the Leaf? It certainly add to the price but you'd be able to use the V cameras as they were designed in the first place.
You'd buy it today and I'd buy it from you in 3 years time.
Eduardo

The Leaf rotating sensor is indeed a wonder. I was very taken by the idea ... until I saw the price tag ... an amount I would be unwilling to spend on a V system.

Besides, it is useless for my purposes since I use 203FE V cameras ... on which none of the Leaf backs will work.

fotografz

Marc: Wouldn't you buy a CFV39 with a Verto-like rotating sensor as in the Leaf? It certainly add to the price but you'd be able to use the V cameras as they were designed in the first place.
You'd buy it today and I'd buy it from you in 3 years time.
Eduardo
Eduardo, while I love the V system ... I would not spend $25 to $30K on a digital back for it. $14K is already enough to give me pause.

If I wanted that, and was willing to invest that kind of serious cash, I could have already bought the Leaf rotating sensor back with a V mount that does exist.

If it were for a 500 series camera, I probably wouldn't even spend the $14K since there are a number of refurb digital backs available that at least offer the ability to rotate the back manually.

The only reason this is interest is to use on a 203FE ... on which no other digital back works. Even at $14K I gotta think hard about whether I want to invest that kind of money. Probably, but something has to go bye-bye to pay for it.