The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Storing Phase One Back

Dale Allyn

Quick question: I need to store my P25+ for about three weeks while traveling. Is it best to remove the battery during this time?

With my other cameras I always remove the batteries, and I remove the Mamiya battery pack when not in use. Common sense suggests that I remove the battery, but thought I would confirm.

I know, bonehead question. But when I'm home I rotate batteries in my back even if not using it regularly.

Thanks,

Dale

Henry Goh

When I took my P30+ and P1 camera out the first day, I left the batteries attached (both camera and back). A few hours later, I placed my camera bag on my lap while my wife drove. I felt the bottom of the camera bag was slightly warm but gave it no further thought. Later when I took the camera out to shoot, I found the P30+ to have been turned on and was warm. I think the Power button had been depressed when it sat tightly in my ThinkTank bag and was turned on for that few hours.

My point is I would definitely remove the P1 battery when not in use.

Dale Allyn

Thanks for sharing your experience, Henry. I can appreciate your point.

My back will be returned to the "armor-plated" Phase One attache', apart from the camera, with the heavy metal backing plate attached. My value added case has a cutout for the back alone. I'll likely leave the battery out unless there is some benefit to be had from leaving it in while stored.

etrump

I had a similar issue with my P30+ as Henry but haven't noticed the problem with the P45. Now as a habit I always remove the battery when storing.

Henry Goh

A little OT but if Steve Hendrix should read this post: Move the On/Off button to some recessed location. Also, seriously look into re-locating the Firewire port to the side. I recently ordered 2 angled firewire cables only to find they could not be used. The angled plugs are too short to connect into the port on the P1 back. I had wanted to avoid the firewire cable sticking into my face when I'm shooting but this did not work out.

etrump

A little OT but if Steve Hendrix should read this post: Move the On/Off button to some recessed location. Also, seriously look into re-locating the Firewire port to the side. I recently ordered 2 angled firewire cables only to find they could not be used. The angled plugs are too short to connect into the port on the P1 back. I had wanted to avoid the firewire cable sticking into my face when I'm shooting but this did not work out.
Ouch! I don't shoot tethered but wondered how that would work.

Clawery

Quick question: I need to store my P25+ for about three weeks while traveling. Is it best to remove the battery during this time?

With my other cameras I always remove the batteries, and I remove the Mamiya battery pack when not in use. Common sense suggests that I remove the battery, but thought I would confirm.

I know, bonehead question. But when I'm home I rotate batteries in my back even if not using it regularly.

Thanks,

Dale
Dale,

I would suggest removing the battery. Sometimes when you are placing the digital back in the case you might accidently turn it on. Turning it on and leaving it a confined space could lead to the back getting extremely hot, which isn't recommended.

Chris Lawery(e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

thomas

What about Date & Time if you remove the battery?
Why not just set Auto-Off to 30 minutes? (or maybe 5 minutes)
I keep the batteries always in my backs (but certainly would remove them as well if I would travel without my outfit for longer time).

Dale Allyn

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not too concerned about the back accidentally being turned on as the case is quite well done in that regard. The case will not be touched by others either. As Thomas mentions, I was wondering about date and time and any other data concerns. I did store with the battery removed, but then was curious about the best practice and hence posted the question.

Cheers.

Don Libby

I believe there's an internal battery that stores setting such as time & date. I'd think so long as it wasn't for an extended period (months) your settings should remain intact.

I normally keep my back (attached to the camera) in my pelican case with the battery attached however remove it if I know I won't be using it for awhile or while traveling.

Better safe than sorry remove the battery.

Don