The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

favorite focal length for tech cameras

Paratom

I wondered which ones are you favorite and most used lenses/ focal length on a tech camera (in my case arTec) and why.

I have decided for the 35 HR to start with

In the beginning I thought to use the tech camera mainly for 35mm and wider photography only and my Hy6 with focal length 40 and up.
The first attemps with the arTec were so much fun that I also would like to use it for some other stuff were I could use alonger focal length and therefore allready have the wish for something in the 45-100mm range.
(first for more compressed landscapes, second for photography of "details" - for example parts of nice cars, trash on the beach, rocks, ...)

But if I get a longer lens I might have rather decided for 28 instead of 35mm as a first lens.

After the other post and with my personal experience I feel I am not a "stitcher", might do it here and then but usually prefer to get the FOV I want with one image.

So what are the ideal lens combos for a tech camera. Which lenses are must, which ones are nice to have, etc etc. I know-all very personal.

What would you prefer: 23 - 35 - 70 ?
or maybe 28 - 45 - 70 (or 100)
or 28-35-70 ...

I know many own 24 and 35 and 47 - how often do you use which lens and why?

Thank you guys

thomas

What would you prefer: 23 - 35 - 70 ?
or maybe 28 - 45 - 70 (or 100)
or 28-35-70 ...
Before I purchased my tech camera outfit I just took a look at the things I shoot and which focal lenghts I use frequently. With the Contax the vast majority is 45mm and 35mm, sometimes the 80mm and rarely the 120mm. So for me it was clear to go for the 47XL.
If I'd start from scratch with the arTec I'd probably go for
Digaron-S 28
Digaron-W 40
Digaron-S 60
and later on maybe a Digaron-W 90

I think wider than 28mm is very, very special and if really needed you could still do some stitching (exceptionally) with the 28mm (the few millimeters it offers).

Paratom

I think wider than 28mm is very, very special and if really needed you could still do some stitching (exceptionally) with the 28mm (the few millimeters it offers).
Thats what I believe. in 35mm I rarely need anything wider than 21mm.

Don Libby

My first lens for the WRS was the Schneider 35mm soon followed by the 72 then the 24 and 120 shortly after I sold all my Mamiya gear.

My most used lenses are the 35 and 72 however it all depends on where I'm at. I'm hiking the South Rim later this month and still am having a problem deciding which two lenses I'll bring (weight factor) that day; so far I've decided the 24/72 then I also thought 24/72 of course I also thought the 35/120 guess I really won't make my mind up till I get there and see what the conditions are. I also have a feeling I'll end up packing three lens - it's always better to have it than to need it and not have it.

I think places like the Grand Canyon and in some situations Monument Valley scream for a wide lens like the 28 or 24 however it can equally call for a longer lens. I shot the California Redwoods with the 35 and 72 however the 35 was on over 99% of the time and left me wishing for wider which is another reason I picked up the 24mm.

I don't think there's any concrete answer to what is the better lens as it depends on the location and the photographer's eye. That said the 35mm is a great starting point!

Cheers

Don

O

Optechs Digital

For me the 47mm is usually the "go to" lens and I am always very happy using it and comfortable knowing what it will do. I also like that it has a huge image circle so if I do need a wider view I can usually do a simple stitch to accommodate the need for a wider lens.

My second favorite lens is the 72 for a razor sharp "normal perspective".

I think if I had to choose only two lenses to work with I could do nearly everything with just these two. Of course I hope I am never limited to just two.

Best Regards,
Paul

etrump

If I could only have one lens it would be the 35mm.

Follow that up with 72, then 24.

I would also carry a 150 which I don't have YET, one of my most popular images is a pano shot at 140mm using the Mamiya 110-200mm.

Totally off topic, but the 110-200 gets a bad rap IMO, unless mine is an exception to the rule at the right apertures this lens is surprisingly sharp (for a zoom). I am anxious to try this lens with the P65+, if I ever get it. Sharp enough that you can take a magnifying glass to this sneffels pano printed 12' wide!

Same lens here the previous morning:

100% crop from the P30+ which was processed in ACR. Now that I use C1, someday I will reprocess it for better IQ. (7-30MP shot stitch took forever...:sleep006:).

Paratom

Wow Ed, stunning images!

Thank you for the feedback so far - it is of great help to get some first hand information from users/photographers.