The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S2 Pricing

arashm

Also no word on software ( or did I miss it )
also as I said on LL, I find this line somewhat interesting:
"that puts it squarely into the apparently troubled medium format sector."
am

robmac

For those about to look up current FX MARKET rates (rounded to two decimal places) before checking their Line of Credit limits:

1 Pound =1.17 Euros
1 Pound = 1.64 US$

Of course intra-market pricing won't necessarily follow such a simple formula.

Also, the "*" in the S2-P price of just under 20,000 Pounds DOES NOT stand for a kit, but an S2 with sapphire glass and a 'platinum' service package. Professional service/support packages to be marketed, details avail later.

Last edited:

robmac

Lets not forget VAT/HST of 13%, so C$32,285 + lenses + support package + + + + + + + the 13% on all the "+s"

I'll probably pass on the sapphire glass :ROTFL:

Oh, for those looking for a ray of sunshine, the prices listed above (DPR apparently jumped the press release gun) DO include 15% VAT..snark, snark.

Robmac
That would make it $28,570.08 CAD.... cool :(

Last edited:

fotografz

If that pricing holds true, we're talking in excess of $50,000. USD for a diverse pro set up.

Hmmm, er ... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my league these days.

arashm

Does any one here know how much a Hasselblad H3DII-31 retails for in the UK?

Robmac I doubt the prices are going to be a direct translation to dollars... No? ( I hope )
am

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have been waiting on before forming an opinion.
I guess i am still waiting for US pricing, but the trend is not positive.
-bob

robmac

Does any one here know how much a Hasselblad H3DII-31 retails for in the UK?

Robmac I doubt the prices are going to be a direct translation to dollars... ( I hope )
am
Mentioned that in my original post... It would be unlikely, but that said, the pricing structure is looking pretty clear.

Let say you optimistically use the Euro/Pound rate and use that figure as the nominal US$ market price -- you're looking at spitting distance either side of $20K for an S2-P body only - ex VAT. That said, there is that proprietary '...Leica 37MP = Hassy/Phase 50MP...' pricing factor to account for as well... LOL

Too close a nominal price and UK/EU buyers start sending love letters to US dealers (typical global warranty?) - assuming duty and VAT schedules make it prudent. Use a straight Pound vs. US$ FX rate based US$ price and US dealers start sending Solms hate mail.

Given DPR has apparently let the cat out of the bag early (vs. Friday?) , folks in EU and NA should know the gory details soon enough.

Last edited:
I am holding out hope that US pricing is lower than the UK prices converted to US dollars. I was also hoping that Leica would offer a camera plus lens package deal. I know that is a lot of hope.

Mark

LJL

Well, if these prices are real, and even if they do translate from pounds to dollars, or close enough when the VAT is excluded and such, this is still a bit stiff an asking price. The 16K pounds, if done as $16k in the US....or close would be a very good starting point....IF it included at least the 70/2.5 non-CS lens, and folks could work from there.

Will wait to see some formal announcement soon, but this is not as encouraging as I was dreaming for ;-) Next, we will also have to find out the actual performance and then learn about the service packages. At least some news is coming out, so that is a good sign.

LJ

robmac

Actually looked at Robert White UK website, Hassy H3DII-50 sans lens is 15,995 Pounds (albeit EX 15% VAT).
I knew Solms were pre-conditioning folks with their 'our 37MP = their 50MP' BS, but I never thought they would be so close (15%) to literal about it. ;>

arashm

actually seeing that you'd have to crop down to a 3/4 ratio, that would make it more in line with a H3DII-31 for "me".
Hence I was wondering about it's price in the UK.
I was informed on LL (thank you) that it's 9995.00
rather confusing I must say...
am

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well kids my feeling right now if i had to buy something. Let's say someone actually had the gun at my head than just replacing my back with a P40 Plus makes way to much sense to ignore. If I do the math on this to get in with a setup looks to be way over the top. Not when P30 Plus and H3/31 are around for a song. After doing the p30 against the the bigger back there is no REAL difference anyway. 6 extra MPX is worthless and i would rather have the bigger sensor and more important 4/3 shooting ratio.

For Leica's sake i hope these posted prices are there wet dream and they will wake up to reality in the morning.

robmac

Looking at Dale's thread, the question is answered - not quite the the official US$/Pound FX rate - but not off by far... US$28K for the S2-P vs ~US$33K using straight FX rate.

fotografz

Performance and service will be the criteria in the pro world that this camera is aimed at.

Extra $K comparisons may weed out those impacted by the economic down-turn, but superstars won't care as much ... IF this sucker delivers the goods and is backed with pro service.

Since I'm not a superstar, or a mondo rich industrialist/doctor/lawyer, I won't be one of them :(

jonoslack

Performance and service will be the criteria in the pro world that this camera is aimed at.

Extra $K comparisons may weed out those impacted by the economic down-turn, but superstars won't care as much ... IF this sucker delivers the goods and is backed with pro service.
I quite agree, and it seems possible that if they sell them at this price, and (as someone else says) their target is 1000 per annum, then they might even make a profit!

Since I'm not a superstar, or a mondo rich industrialist/doctor/lawyer, I won't be one of them :(
Me neither - sad isn't it - mind you, I wouldn't have bought one even if it had been half the price.