The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

backpacks/bags

Paratom

do you carry your tech-camera with mounted back and lens or do you carry it in the original suitcase (The Sinar comes with a very nice suitcase but you have to pack everything sperate)?
I now trying a Kata-backpack but this camera isnt really easy to pack safely.
How do you carry your Cambos and Alpas and Artecs and Horsemans?
Do you keep everything mounted?

carstenw

I've got the Kata R-103, and although it is tight, I find that it works well for the Contax 645 with Sinar e54LV on it, and a lens, as well as two extra lenses, three in a pinch, and accessories, like the WLF and a diffusor. Extra batteries and card readers fit in the front two pockets, and laptop in the back too, if needed. What I haven't yet figured out is how to strap on the tripod well. I would buy a Kata R-104 in a second, if it existed.

Paratom

I just re-read your post, Tom, and saw "tech camera" for the first time :) Oops.
No problem Carsten.

I decided to give the Kata HB-205 a try. I dont know the exact differences between the R and the HB.
I now have adapted the inside to the arTec and it seems fine though it is not as nicee as in the suitcase.

I will give it a try. We will travel for 2 weeks and I think I want to be able to bring the arTec to places where I dont want to carry/walk with a suitcase.
( I now think they could make a heavy duty arTec with ruberized surfaces ;) )

Now I only have to decide what elso to bring, either M8 or Nikon DSLR or Hy6 or a combination. (we will drive with a Camper so I dont have to lug the stuff around on airports etc)

Don Libby

I generally keep the WRS connected to the back and a lens along with the other lenses and spacer of the 120mm and groundglass all in a Pelican case. My filters and batteries are kept in a Lowepro Rover Plus AW backpack. I also have my tripod in its own case with the Cube firmly attached. All this fits nicely in the rear of my Jeep.

When I get to a location I want to shoot I can either work directly from the rear of the Jeep (gotta love 4-wheel drive) or transfer camera and len(ses) to the backpack for the hike out. The tripod is too large to fit on the backpack however I can still sling that over my shoulder for anything less that 3 miles (one-way) any longer then I have to switch tripods.

This system also allows me to carry plenty of water and snacks for the trail.

Might be more information that what you were asking ...

Don

I'll be doing this at the end of the month when I day hike the Grand Canyon.