The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RZ67 Adapter Plate Question

Jeff Turner

Hey Patrick: As I understand, the Mamiya RZ adapter plate has the electronic connections that are compatible with the RZ Pro IID for cordless synch to a MFDB. I have read in various threads that some people seem to have problems with their Aptus backs synching properly with the RZ Pro IID when used with the Mamiya adapter. Apparently Leaf is aware of this issue but as of yet has provided no solution.

After reading these experiences, I purchased the Leaf adapter to use with my RZ Pro IID and Aptus 75s with synch cords and have no problems whatsoever. The leaf adapter has NO electronic connections to the camera. Some users of the Pro IID that have had problems with the Mamiya adapter have simply placed tape over the gold contacts to prevent connection and simply use the synch cords and report no further problems with their Aptus backs.

I believe the Mamiya adapter will also work on the RZ Pro II but must be used with synch cords, which seems to be the way one has to synch an Aptus back with either RZ Pro II or IID. So you could save some money and just get the RZ Pro II NON-D.

Frank Doorhof in the Netherlands, who also posts here has a fair amount of experience shooting a RZ Pro II with Aptus 22 for beauty work.
http://www.doorhof.nl/blog/index.php?topic=1708.0

I think you will love the RZ optics. They are astonishing in the way they render an image....wicked sharp too.

By the way....still loving the AFD 645 150/2.8D I bought from you!!

Best, Jeff

bendts

WOW! Many thanks for answering a question that seemed to baffle the tech at Mamiya and the sales guys at B&H, as well as most others i have spoken with.

I also have a RZ ProII (non-D) set-up, and would like to pick-up a back to use on it.

Now another question - Is the Mamiya Adapter Plate usable with Hasselblad "V" or "H" style mounts. Just wondering so if i need to rent a back for a bit.

Again when i asked this of the Mamiya tech - he said "NO, its a Mamiya mount. What is this V thing?":wtf:

Thanks again.

bendts

Here is some info i found on Adapters - hope it helps.

RZ Digi Back Adapters:

The current Mamiya Digi-backs are DM-22, 28, 33, 40, 56 - while the store info below lists them as DL – DM – ZD Backs.
**********************************************************************************************

212-107 / HX701 Mamiya DM to RZ Pro IID requires separate focusing screen –
This is the Adapter that is listed in the ProIID Brochure:

$1000 @ B&H
The Mamiya RZ Digital Back Adapter for the RZ67 Pro IID allows any Mamiya digital back that is compatible with the 645AFD mount to be used on the RZ Pro IID body with full functionality, while using NO additional cables.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/502724-REG/Mamiya_212_107_RZ_Digital_Back_Adapter.html

$750 @ Adorama
Mamiya Back Adapter Plate, Allows Mounting the ZD 22 Megapixel Digital Back on the RZ67 Pro IID (HX701)
PRODUCT DETAILS
Manufactured by: Mamiya
Mfg Part No: 212107
Adorama SKU: MYDBARZ

Allows you to use the Mamiya ZD 22 Megapixel Digital Back on the RZ67 Pro IID
http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/MYDBARZ.html

***********************************************************************************************
903-542 Mamiya RZ, RZ Pro II Adapter Kit for DM22???, DM33 Student

$1500 @ Adorama
Mamiya RZ67 Pro & Pro II Adapter Kit for the APTUS II 6 - DL33 Digital Back
WHAT’S IN THE BOX
RZ67 Pro/Pro II Adapter, DL33 only (connects Aptus-II Digital back to RZ67 Pro/Pro II camera) - Matched Camera Focusing Screen (for Aptus-II 7 digital back)
PRODUCT DETAILS
Mfg Part No: 903542
Adorama SKU: MYDL33RZ67AK
Mamiya RZ67 Pro/Pro II Adapter Kit (DL33 only)...

This adapter connects the Aptus-II Digital back to the RZ67 Pro/Pro II camera. Includes matched camera focusing screen for use with the Aptus-II 7 digital back. Cat. #903-542
http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/MYDL33RZ67AK.html

***********************************************************************************************
903-545 Mamiya RZ, RZ Pro II Adapter Kit for DM28, DM40???

$1600 @ B&H
The Mamiya 903-545 DL28 Back Adapter Kit for the RZ67 Pro & Pro II attaches to the rear of a Mamiya RZ67 Pro or RZ67 Pro II 6x7cm film camera, allowing the Aptus II DL28 digital back to interface with these cameras.
A dedicated focusing screen is also included, complete with framing outlines which precisely match the DL28's 33 x 44mm image area dimensions. You're left with better-than-100% viewfinder coverage; not only will you be able to see the image area perfectly, but because a RZ67 screen is ~66 x 66mm you'll also be seeing quite a bit of what lies beyond the image area to allow you to better time an action shot.
• Exclusive back adapter to allow DL28 digital back upon Mamiya RZ67 Pro/Pro II cameras
• Dedicated focusing screen included (with framing lines displaying the DL28's 33 x 44mm image area)
• Includes male pc cord to connect to lens' shutter, and a female pc connection upon rear of adapter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/605094-REG/Mamiya_903_545_DL28_Back_Adapter_Kit.html

$1000 @ Adorama
Mamiya RZ67 Pro & Pro II Adapter Kit for the APTUS II 6 - DL28 Digital Back
http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/MYDL28RZ67AK.html

WHAT’S IN THE BOX
RZ67 Pro/Pro II Adapter, DL28 only (connects Aptus-II Digital back to RZ67 Pro/Pro II camera) - Matched Camera Focusing Screen (for Aptus-II 6 digital back)
PRODUCT DETAILS
Mfg Part No: 903545
Adorama SKU: MYDL28RZ67AK
Mamiya RZ67 Pro/Pro II Adapter Kit (DL28 only)...

This adapter connects the Aptus-II Digital back to the RZ67 Pro/Pro II camera. Includes matched camera focusing screen for use with the Aptus-II 6 digital back. Cat. #903-545

903-551 Mamiya RZ, RZ Pro II Adapter Kit for DM56

Phase One Mamiya RZ67 Adapter for H/P Backs w/Hasselblad V Fitting - $1350
Mfr item: 70964
http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoDigitalBacks/166037/phase-one-adapter-plate-for-mamiya-rz.aspx

Threads on this subject:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10914
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9055
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43741

I can't even find any info about the adapters on the Mamiya site. Its amazing with all the technology, that this info is so convoluted.

yaya

We make RZ adapters that can be used on Pro/ ProII and ProIId models in 3 different mounts:
Phase One/ Mamiya 645AFD
Hasselblad H (works also with Phase One P/ P+ backs in H mount)
Hasselblad V

Each one can be ordered for:
22/ 33 MP backs (48X36mm) e.g. Aptus 22, 54S, 75, 75S, Aptus-II 5, 7, Mamiya, Mamiya DM22, 33
28/ 40 MP backs (44X33mm) e.g. Aptus 65, 65S, Aptus-II 6, 8, Mamiya DM28, 40
56MP (56X36mm) e.g Aptus-II 10, Mamiya DM56

The kit includes:
Adapter plate (rotating)
Lens-to-back sync cord
Focusing screen with marks
Camera control cable (for shooting from the computer if you have a motor-drive on your RZ)

These adapters can be ordered through any Leaf dealer

See attached installation guide

Hope this helps

Yair

R

republik

RZ67 PRO II (Non-digital) question

This by far the most informative website I have come across regarding digital backs for medium format!! Thanks to all above who have provided such a wealth of great information and direction.

I am thinking about making the investment to upgrade my RZ67 PRO II to digital, and want to make sure I am looking into the correct components - back, adapter, etc.

I currently have three lenses:
  • 65mm
  • 110mm
  • 180mm Soft (VSF)
Can anyone recommend what they believe is the most compatible back for the RZ67 PRO II? Thanks very much for any information provided!

mvirtue

W/ the Pro II you will need an adapter plate with a wake up cable. For the 'D' you just need the HX701 plate and a back that is compatible.

yaya

W/ the Pro II you will need an adapter plate with a wake up cable. For the 'D' you just need the HX701 plate and a back that is compatible.
With Leaf backs there is no need for a wake up cable and the Leaf plate works also on the "D" (with a sync cable)

cheers

yair

fotografz

WOW! Many thanks for answering a question that seemed to baffle the tech at Mamiya and the sales guys at B&H, as well as most others i have spoken with.

I also have a RZ ProII (non-D) set-up, and would like to pick-up a back to use on it.

Now another question - Is the Mamiya Adapter Plate usable with Hasselblad "V" or "H" style mounts. Just wondering so if i need to rent a back for a bit.

Again when i asked this of the Mamiya tech - he said "NO, its a Mamiya mount. What is this V thing?":wtf:

Thanks again.
I have a Phase One made Mamiya RZ to Hasselblad V adapter that I used with a CFV digital back ... but it will work with any V mount digital magazine or film back.

The film gate opening is a full frame square. It is marked for Light Phase and has electrical contacts ... so it's probably for older Phase One backs ... but those are meaningless since I know it works with a V back by using the sync cord from the lens to the back. It also has an electrical contact that plugs into the RZ release port on the right side of the camera. The whole thing is built like a tank as one would expect from Phase One.

BTW, I sold the CFV back ... so this is for sale ... $385.;) I have almost everything made for the RZ also for sale.

-Marc

P.S., if you use a sunc cord from lens to back, get the gold tipped ones from Paramount Cords ... they pretty much eliminate miss-fires :thumbup:

fotografz

Re: RZ67 PRO II (Non-digital) question

This by far the most informative website I have come across regarding digital backs for medium format!! Thanks to all above who have provided such a wealth of great information and direction.

I am thinking about making the investment to upgrade my RZ67 PRO II to digital, and want to make sure I am looking into the correct components - back, adapter, etc.

I currently have three lenses:
  • 65mm
  • 110mm
  • 180mm Soft (VSF)
Can anyone recommend what they believe is the most compatible back for the RZ67 PRO II? Thanks very much for any information provided!
Without a single doubt in my mind it is the Leaf Aptus 75, 75s or 75s-II (or whatever they call the latest one ...Yaya will correct me I'm sure :))

I had that combo (Aptus 75s, which I sold to a forum member that I believe still uses it). It was just the right pixel Pitch for those lenses IMHO. If I didn't need AF for my work, I'd still be shooting with it.

-Marc

yaya

Without a single doubt in my mind it is the Leaf Aptus 75, 75s or 75s-II (or whatever they call the latest one ...Yaya will correct me I'm sure :))

I had that combo (Aptus 75s, which I sold to a forum member that I believe still uses it). It was just the right pixel Pitch for those lenses IMHO. If I didn't need AF for my work, I'd still be shooting with it.

-Marc
I agree, going by the number of adapters we've sold over the years I would dare guessing that the Aptus 22MP & 33MP backs are probably the most popular DBs for the RZ

Yair

PS Marc the new one is called Aptus-II 7 :)

R

republik

I agree, going by the number of adapters we've sold over the years I would dare guessing that the Aptus 22MP & 33MP backs are probably the most popular DBs for the RZ

Yair

PS Marc the new one is called Aptus-II 7 :)
Thanks very much to you both - a great help!

J

jpaonessa

Was surfing around and just saw this question and thought I would chime in to answer some questions that were raised. For reference sake, I work within a photographic rental house that rents this gear and have experience shooting with this setup many times.

The adapter plate goes from Mamiya's back mount to a V mount system. Both the V and H are different. V is an older style of mount, this is the same locking connectors that were used of old Hassy's (503's 555's and such). H is the new system (H1's - H4's). There really are a ton of different adapter plates out there depending on what system you need to use it on.

For actually getting the back to accurately sync on the Pro II (not the D), you need to connect the electronic mamiya trigger to the front of the RZ and then there is another connector, a PC to PC cable that goes from the lens to the adapter plate, not the digital back. Typically no cables need to actually hook up to the back. Yes its a mess of cables but hey, you are rigging up a awesome camera to work with a new awesome back so whatever. Also set the camera to multiple exposure mode. You dont want to be messing up the new adapter plate you got!
You will also get some sort of mask for helping you frame stuff up because there is a crop factor since most of these backs are really 645.
Now shoot away!

The whole system is a bit bulky but I love it. In my opinion I get way better results shooting with this setup then a new H2 with a 45+. Back is no different, just the lenses.

Hope this helps some and if you have any questions or wish to see a picture of the setup let me know and I can take a quick photo of the setup while at work.
Oh second note, if renting the back make sure to mention you want the V mount. Also typically the H mounts are the most rented, the only people I know that even rent the V mounts are people like us using these types of cameras.

ghoonk

Does that mean that the RZ will shoot in 645 format instead of 67 format? In doing so, that means the 67 look is lost, right?

yaya

Was surfing around and just saw this question and thought I would chime in to answer some questions that were raised. For reference sake, I work within a photographic rental house that rents this gear and have experience shooting with this setup many times.

The adapter plate goes from Mamiya's back mount to a V mount system. Both the V and H are different. V is an older style of mount, this is the same locking connectors that were used of old Hassy's (503's 555's and such). H is the new system (H1's - H4's). There really are a ton of different adapter plates out there depending on what system you need to use it on.

For actually getting the back to accurately sync on the Pro II (not the D), you need to connect the electronic mamiya trigger to the front of the RZ and then there is another connector, a PC to PC cable that goes from the lens to the adapter plate, not the digital back. Typically no cables need to actually hook up to the back. Yes its a mess of cables but hey, you are rigging up a awesome camera to work with a new awesome back so whatever. Also set the camera to multiple exposure mode. You dont want to be messing up the new adapter plate you got!
You will also get some sort of mask for helping you frame stuff up because there is a crop factor since most of these backs are really 645.
Now shoot away!

The whole system is a bit bulky but I love it. In my opinion I get way better results shooting with this setup then a new H2 with a 45+. Back is no different, just the lenses.

Hope this helps some and if you have any questions or wish to see a picture of the setup let me know and I can take a quick photo of the setup while at work.
Oh second note, if renting the back make sure to mention you want the V mount. Also typically the H mounts are the most rented, the only people I know that even rent the V mounts are people like us using these types of cameras.
I'm guessing that your experience is with Phase One backs. With Leaf backs on the non-D RZ (and also on the D) there are less cables involved and the back can be in 4 different mounts: M, H, V or Hy6/ AFi

Only 1 cable is required from lens to back and all 4 adapters let you rotate the back on the back of the camera

We also provide a Mamiya-supplied focusing screen that is marked for horizontal and vertical according to the sensor size

Yair

gsking

Does that mean that the RZ will shoot in 645 format instead of 67 format? In doing so, that means the 67 look is lost, right?
Well, considering all MFDB sensors are smaller than 645, then yes, the RZ shoots "in 645 format".

But the look for the RZ is allegedly different. I haven't been able to confirm this yet. :)

ghoonk

I was wondering about that, cos it would really defeat the purpose of shooting with an RZ67 and finding the pics looking like it came out of a 645 (not that the 645 is bad, I just prefer the look out of the 67s)

fotografz

I'm guessing that your experience is with Phase One backs. With Leaf backs on the non-D RZ (and also on the D) there are less cables involved and the back can be in 4 different mounts: M, H, V or Hy6/ AFi

Only 1 cable is required from lens to back and all 4 adapters let you rotate the back on the back of the camera

We also provide a Mamiya-supplied focusing screen that is marked for horizontal and vertical according to the sensor size

Yair
I can confirm this (not that it needs confirmation : -). A Leaf back on a RZ is a marriage made in heaven. Pretty no-brainer set-up.

I used a Aptus 75s back on a non-D RZ Pro-II for some time and it was fool proof ... shooting tethered or non-tethered. At the time, Leaf was the only Dalsa sensor digital backs from the Big Three makers ... and that, combined with the character of the RZ lenses, produced fantastic images. Not sure how a 60 or 80 meg back would do on an RZ in terms of optics, but the 33 meg Aptus was the perfect pixel pitch for the RZ camera/lens system IMHO.

-Marc

C

cporfirio

Now shoot away!

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much sharing such important information!!! I think this is a very good question with lots of good replies, altough, for me sometimes a little bit confused, because dont know wich way/direction should i take...

I would really apreciate that someone could advice me considering tha i have one Mamiya RZ67 Pro II (non D) system, and that i'm seriously interested in geting one digital back and all necessary cables and the correct adapter...

Question is ... wich adapter and wich back? this question seems a little bit silly i admit, but i'm newbie in these "digital" subjects...

I know that the backs differs in sensor size and Mpixels ... i also know that i can use any Phase One "P" adapter... but when i'm surfing i see ads of P30, P45+, P65, and so on, sometimes to contax mount, sometimes to "H" (i think the H is to hasselblad) or most of the times to 645 AF Mount (wich i think is, correct me if not, for any mamiya system, right? is that a "V" mount back? am i correct?!

I dont know if i can go to a HX705 adapter (wich i think it is only full compatible with the RZ67 pro IID system...).

I notice from what i've read here (from BENDTS member), that there's a Phase One Mamiya RZ67 Adapter for H/P Backs w/Hasselblad V Fitting...

Phase One Mamiya RZ67 Adapter for H/P Backs w/Hasselblad V Fitting Digital Backs 70964 - Vistek Canada Product Detail

Does this means that it will fit any back and that i can use with my rz67 pro ii system?

I live in Portugal and it's quite dificult for me to have a representation of backs and adapter brands... Please help me to understand wich adapter, cables and kind of backs do i have to look for... and where i can get it...

Thanks in advance to all

---------