Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Custom Diopters or alternative?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tucson, the other Arizona
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Custom Diopters or alternative?

    Does anyone use, or have any knowledge of, a custom diopter for the M series cameras?

    I've discovered that I can raise the camera to my eye and get the matching sharpness to my contact lens vision by putting on a pair of +1.25 reading glasses. I'd rather not add the glasses to the shooting experience.

    The problem is that Leica has +0.5 as a minimum and I would guess I need a +0.25. There IS a difference; the vision with no diopter is a bit off, but if I wear +1.50 glasses it is also too much of a correction.

    Has anyone had an optician replace the lens in a Leica diopter? or other than wearing glasses is there a less expensive approach?
    Last edited by Mark_Tuttle; 29th July 2009 at 20:04.

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Custom Diopters or alternative?

    A monocle? Having an optician do it is the recommendation, I believe.
    Carsten - Website

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tucson, the other Arizona
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Custom Diopters or alternative?

    Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    A monocle? Having an optician do it is the recommendation, I believe.
    Thanks, Carsten. I thought I had posted this in the Leica forum, but ended up here by mistake.

  4. #4
    Workshop Member glenerrolrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter FL/Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Custom Diopters or alternative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Tuttle View Post
    Does anyone use, or have any knowledge of, a custom diopter for the M series cameras?

    I've discovered that I can raise the camera to my eye and get the matching sharpness to my contact lens vision by putting on a pair of +1.25 reading glasses. I'd rather not add the glasses to the shooting experience.

    The problem is that Leica has +0.5 as a minimum and I would guess I need a +0.25. There IS a difference; the vision with no diopter is a bit off, but if I wear +1.50 glasses it is also too much of a correction.

    Has anyone had an optician replace the lens in a Leica diopter? or other than wearing glasses is there a less expensive approach?
    Mark There are some good threads on this on the LUF. A few facts that may help. (1)rangefinder patch is set to approximately 2M so you need the magnifier that you need to see sharply at 2M....this is generally less magnification than your reading glasses (2) I was pretty sure that the native magnification of the Leica viewfinder is minus 0.5 .

    I use reading glasses at plus 1.5 and yet my diopter is plus 1.0(net magnification of plus 0.5). This is because I have good eyesight(no glasses or contacts) and only use reading glasses for things inside arms length. I tested both the 1.0 and 1.5 magnifiers extensively on the camera and its the 1.0.

    Another option is the Megapearls variable diopter magnifiers (I have the 1.35X) they also make a 1.15X as well. On these the diopter setting can be adjusted. It is important to do the adjust when looking at the rangefinder patch itself not just what looks sharp.

    You will be a lot happy when you get a match because it really makes focusing a lot easier.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tucson, the other Arizona
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Custom Diopters or alternative?

    Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Mark There are some good threads on this on the LUF. A few facts that may help. (1)rangefinder patch is set to approximately 2M so you need the magnifier that you need to see sharply at 2M....this is generally less magnification than your reading glasses (2) I was pretty sure that the native magnification of the Leica viewfinder is minus 0.5 .

    I use reading glasses at plus 1.5 and yet my diopter is plus 1.0(net magnification of plus 0.5). This is because I have good eyesight(no glasses or contacts) and only use reading glasses for things inside arms length. I tested both the 1.0 and 1.5 magnifiers extensively on the camera and its the 1.0.

    Another option is the Megapearls variable diopter magnifiers (I have the 1.35X) they also make a 1.15X as well. On these the diopter setting can be adjusted. It is important to do the adjust when looking at the rangefinder patch itself not just what looks sharp.

    You will be a lot happy when you get a match because it really makes focusing a lot easier.
    Great information, Roger. Thanks for the help

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •