The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Official USA Pricing for Leica S2

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Hmm that reads like an appeal to snob value and exclusivity, where price becomes a reason in itself to buy something others cannot afford.
Quentin,

My comments were not intended to appeal to snobbey and exclusivity, and none of my conversations with customers have gone this way either. Everyone looking seriously at the S2 is doing so becuase of the unique performance and usability that it offers. They understand that price is not the only factor in overall value.

David

LJL

Bit early to cancel, even assuming they are all aware (as David suggests they are) of the price announcement. Let's see where they are at when the cash has to hit the counter :cool:

Hmm that reads like an appeal to snob value and exclusivity, where price becomes a reason in itself to buy something others cannot afford.
Great points, Quentin. I was thinking the same thing, but figured my comments at this point would just piss folks off :D I would not even consider putting my name on a waiting list until I saw some real output and had some real prices to think about. We got the prices, and are still waiting for the output. If folks really think the Leica prices are competitive and in line, good wishes to you all. Seriously. Regardless of exchange rates, etc., to me they still seem over the top, and anybody that gets conned into buying through the "snob appeal".....well.....I better stop now or wind up getting banned or something foolish on my part :shocked: ;)

LJ

robmac

WADR David, while it was unintentional, the analogy (which is how it comes across) that the S2 is a 'Porsche Cayenne' and a Hassy39/Phase 40+ (or if you're in Solms, the Hassy 3DII-50 I guess) a 'Honda Accord' won't do a whole lot to win folks over....

Just sayin' ....

Having owned Bimmers (4 and 2 wheeled variants), Porsche, Ducatis, etc - personally I kinda like my Accord (and my KTMs) since I went thru my pre-mid-life "WTF am I spending so much money on a $%^& car ?" mode. There comes that tipping point when cold hard logic just kicks you in the ***, you wake up and start using the common sense that your mother kept trying to drill into your head ...

Last edited:

Mike M

Quentin,

My comments were not intended to appeal to snobbey and exclusivity, and none of my conversations with customers have gone this way either. Everyone looking seriously at the S2 is doing so becuase of the unique performance and usability that it offers. They understand that price is not the only factor in overall value.

David
I'm in the market for a new camera system and have been leaning in the direction of a tech camera setup like Alpa or possibly the new Swiss Arca RM3D. According to my fuzzy math, the cost of a tech camera setup that meets my individual needs is in the same general ballpark as the cost of an S2 system. Yes, the Leica is a lot of money but it just doesn't seem that unreasonable to me :confused: Plus, I'm coming from the perspective of having bought one of the first professional level publicly available DSLRs (this was over 10 years ago and it cost me over $20,000 for just the 2 megapixel body that seemed to make a sport out of moire) At the time, I was pretty excited because the entire monthly payment was a tax writeoff and still only cost a fraction of what my film + polaroid costs were for the month (and no more trips to the lab) Fast forward just a decade later and now it's possible to get an exotic sports car like the S2 for about the same price as my old digital clunker? From my perspective, this is just a mind-blowing advance in available tools for photographers.

Who knows? I could be wrong, but maybe some of the hostility towards the pricing of the S2 is due to the fact that the costs are not broken up. It's psychological. For example, let's imagine that I bid a photo job and am going to want $10,000 total. I don't just draw up a bill for 10 grand and hand it to the client...I break it up into all bunches of tiny little pieces....300 for this....400 for that....something for day rate etc. In the end, it all adds up to 10 grand but for some reason that type of pricing works better than if I just give a single total. Maybe part of the hostility towards the S2 pricing is precisely because the pricing of the body is integrated with the sensor and there isn't any fuzzy math to confuse customers with ;) Sorry if that's a funky explanation, but maybe some people will understand where I'm going with this comparison. I don't have any suggestions for Leica to do things differently, I'm just pointing out that might be some reason for the hostility.

Anyhow, good luck with the camera sales and I hope Leica does well. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see any class envy issues or anything when it comes to cameras. To me, they're just tools.

John Black

Rob, we've said our piece. From this point on people's wallets will do the voting. Leica has alot to deliver - the camera, stable firmware, trouble-free components such as the sensor, RAW processing software (will LightRoom be "good enough"?), the lenses, etc., etc. If the system is stable, relatively trouble free and delivers a file quality that some surpasses its perceived peers, then Leica might have a decent chance.

Regardless of price, and speaking as a M8 owner - there's no way I'd be an early adopter. No, no, no... For me this is S2 chapter is over. Now we're waiting until October for the next chapter - the hands on reports, etc.

robmac

Hey John. From a business case perspective I find the S2 roll-out fascinating. That said, you're quite right.

As David said, us or anyone else wailing away on price, strategy, etc ain't gonna change matters any. Leica's made their big bet. While the IQ will unquestionably be great (as it is from a Hassy or Phamiya, etc.) there are a LOT of rivers they need to forge to pull this sucker off. It will be fascinating to see if they can do it.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
2 different battery systems, separate on/off and controls. That was what I had with my Contax. Are other systems better?
My Phase/Mamiya is the same way two switches and two differing batteries. But honestly, it takes me all of one second to press the back's on button, and it makes no nevermind to mind how many spare batteries I carry. I frankly do not see how these two issues combined constitute a DSLR being "hugely more convenient" to use...

Paratom

maybe for some people a S2 could replace a DSLR-system and a MF-system. For those the price might be ok.
I have no idea how much of the overall cost of a pro are camera-hardware-write off. Is it THE cost factor?
Lets say you use the camera 3 years...and then you can sell it for 5k, that makes 23-5=18 makes 6k per year makes 500 per month (for body only), makes 250 after tax.
Now for a Hassy or Phase you get it for maybe 8000 less, so you save 2700 per year, 230 per month, 115 $ per month after tax.

I find the S2 too expensive as well, on the other side I believe that the neverending price battle isnt good either. In a short term customers take advantage of low prices but in a long term companies will disappear, they will also start having cost/price a more important development factor than innovation and technology, they will not only have to cut down production cost but also R&D cost.

I'm in the market for a new camera system and have been leaning in the direction of a tech camera setup like Alpa or possibly the new Swiss Arca RM3D. According to my fuzzy math, the cost of a tech camera setup that meets my individual needs is in the same general ballpark as the cost of an S2 system.

Hi Mike,
I'm curious as to why, if you're considering a tech camera setup like the Alpa or possibly Arca Swiss RM3D you'd even consider the S2? Please explain how the Leica can do what the tech cameras can do? I must be missing something here. This isn't just about money.

Those considering the S2 will more than likely be moving over from some other medium format system. They'll have to take an incredible financial beating in terms of what they can get for their used Phase/Mamiya/Sinar/Hassy etc setup as these things depreciate faster than an SUV the moment they're sold. One has to add that loss to the cost of the S2 system to get a more accurate price as to what the "real" cost of migrating to Leica is, and weigh that coat against any real "visible" IQ improvements the Leica may provide.

If Canon or Nikon were doing what Leica is proposing, the rental houses would be stocked very quickly and there would be no shortage of repair facilities where problems could be addressed in a "timely" manner. The small size of Leica makes this an entirely different ballgame. It would probably take a full four months (or more) of S2 production just to properly stock rental houses and pro camera stores so they have what Nikon or Canon could supply in a week or two, simply because of the size of the "big boys."

And given the problems with the M8 (some went through 3-4 bodies before they found one that worked properly) and the 16 months I waited for an APO lens to be fixed properly (3 trips to Solms)... can you imagine how many full time technicians will be needed to address the issues of a new camera such as the S2, given Leica's recent track record? Can pro's who are getting good service from Hassy/Phase etc afford the wait, if and when something goes wrong?

Given the "wait and see" period most sensible S2 prospects will embrace, how long can they wait before the "fixed" sensor technology of the S2 becomes outdated?

Finally, given the demands high megapixel sensors place on the entire image chain, heres a question for those who shoot with high meg MF backs: what percentage of your shots that are destined for large print output are shot hand held vs tripod mounted? I'd be interested in this piece of information as I know that I see a significant difference in sharpness (read: ability to print large) in tripod mounted shots I take with my 10 megapixel DMR with APO glass vs the same shots taken hand held. I'm a pretty steady shooter... but the tripod beats me every time and I use it often when large output is the goal.

If tripods are used more often than not, is the SLR-like form of the S2 really such an advantage? How much hand holding are you going to do with this system, given that there is no image stabilization?

There really is a lot more than just cost at stake.

Lawrence

LJL

I find the S2 too expensive as well, on the other side I believe that the neverending price battle isnt good either. In a short term customers take advantage of low prices but in a long term companies will disappear, they will also start having cost/price a more important development factor than innovation and technology, they will not only have to cut down production cost but also R&D cost.
Probably a number of folks would agree with you here. However, nobody has really explained just what new R&D or innovation has gone into the S2. Nothing in there has not already been out and used by nearly every other manufacturer. So maybe it is "new" and "innovative" for Leica, but surely not the rest of the industry. They may have designed and built the S2 from the ground up, but somebody else is making the sensor, somebody else is providing the Maestro chips and programming, etc. The weather seals, though really nice and needed, are pretty standard on top end DSLRs and have been for some time. The AF, which Leica "invented" still only handles one point, not something like the 45 that DSLRs can manage. The list goes on. My point being that there is nothing really "new" in the S2. The design is more 35mm DSLR, but falls short of those capabilities. That is fine, as one does gain a bigger sensor and some other features not available on any 35mm DSLR, and maybe a bit better than some deliveries on other MF systems, but I fail to see the innovation. If the innovation is lens design and manufacture, bravo, but why are we not seeing the benefits of that passed down in cheaper lens prices?

O.K., I am done. As others have said, time to wait to see who ponies up for this once released, and to get some real sample images at other than controlled studio 100 ISO shots, and to learn just what works and does not, including the camera, lenses, service, rental markets, etc., etc.

LJ

thomas

Finally, given the demands high megapixel sensors place on the entire image chain, heres a question for those who shoot with high meg MF backs: what percentage of your shots that are destined for large print output are shot hand held vs tripod mounted?
100% tripod.
You add some very valid points to the discussion. The high ISO of the S2 will not be good enough to compensate handhold shooting. Camera shake and high ISO easily cut resolution in halfs.
37MP:2= 18.5MP = 1Ds3.

Last edited:

thomas

Probably a number of folks would agree with you here. However, nobody has really explained just what new R&D or innovation has gone into the S2. Nothing in there has not already been out and used by nearly every other manufacturer.
I wouldn't underestimate R&D even if you just put together already developped elements in a new mix.
For example (correct me if I'm wrong) Leica has a super thin plate in front of the sensor and the IR filter is part of the lenses... and, and , and...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
One thing puzzles me a bit: of all the people in this thread, were any actually on the waiting list for the S2?
Deafening silence ... :p

Lot's of sounds of people havng a hissy fit and taking their toys home though. :ROTFL:

My sentiment is along the same lines as Jono mentioned earlier. If I had the means then I'd want an S2. I don't, but there are MANY out there who can and I don't think that shifting 1000 units worldwide will be a problem at all regardless of the outrage here.

I note that the same arguments were rolled out & disgust at Nikon with the D3x launch & pricing. Sure it's not in the nose bleed level of the Leica but in the eight months since the launch I note that D3x's aren't the rarified breed that some would have had you believe. :thumbup:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The whole thing depends on if the entire package lenses, scope of the system, body, quality, and so on and so on are attractive to enough buyers to make it a going concern.
Tine will tell.
For me, I have to get my hands on one and shoot with it, so as soon as it shows up in one of my local rental houses, I will take it out for a spin.
But until then, who knows?
-bob

John Black

For R&D anything in the range $2.5 to 5.0M USD is a valid guess. The average loaded cost per employee is ~$200k, so that's only a team 12 to 25 people for 12 months. Consider people have to write firmware, the camera body, optical designers, lens bodies, testing, validate, industrialization, sourcing, marketing... I think those costs could be higher, but if each system generation $10k gross margin, then the break even is 500 units. So with Leica's goal of 1000 units per year, then R&D is somewhere in $5M range, perhaps as high as $10M. No doubt, it's a bold initiative on Leica's part. If it works, I think we can all agree Leica pulled off an amazing feat.

Chris C

Sure Chris.... why not?

The reasons.............................
David - Many thanks for your reply. I take you at your word and it made interesting, though surprising reading. I live in a totally different photography economy to your waiting list S2 customers and I would have expected them to be backing away from their orders. I hope the camera's files excel and the camera sells - but boy oh boy; in my world of diminishing work, and shrinking rates, photography is barely a Trade and the S2 is utterly unreachable with earnings. Best wishes to you.

............. Chris

Christopher

100% tripod.
You add some very valid points to the discussion. The high ISO of the S2 will not be good enough to compensate handhold shooting. Camera shake and high ISO easily cut resolution in halfs.
37MP:2= 18.5MP = 1Ds3.

Once again the biggest BS I have heared so many times. Please don't see that against you personally, I can't just hear that statement anymore. So many people tell me that, but none of these could show me a so called tripod sharpenss. It's more about how you handle your camera.

You don't need a tripod to get sharo images. I would say for my large prints with the P65 I only use a tripod with my Tech camera. When I use the PhaseOne Camera I would say 80% are handheld. Is there a difference ? NO. Perhaps if you choose a shutter speed around the same as focal length, but doing so would be wrong. I prefer to use something around 2.5. So 45mm should be around 1/125 to 1/200. A 150 would be 1/400-1/800. Always depending on the enviroment. I can tell you that images shot that way will be 100% sharp and even mounting you camera on a huge tripod changes a thing.

thomas

I prefer to use something around 2.5. So 45mm should be around 1/125 to 1/200. A 150 would be 1/400-1/800. Always depending on the enviroment.
oh well, of course. But these are shutter speeds I virtually never use. With ISO 50 (and at f8, 11 or 16) I use something from 1'' to 1/125''. And 1/250'' or on a very good day maybe 1/125'' is the limit for handheld shooting with the P45 (at least for me). At 1/60'' on tripod you start to see a difference with or without mirror lock on the P45 (either way which lens). This is on the Contax645 that has actually quite a smooth mirror slap.
Be that as it may: the slightest vibration blur is limiting resolution seriously... and that is simply true, not BS.

jonoslack

Once again the biggest BS I have heared so many times. Please don't see that against you personally, I can't just hear that statement anymore. So many people tell me that, but none of these could show me a so called tripod sharpenss. It's more about how you handle your camera.

You don't need a tripod to get sharo images. I would say for my large prints with the P65 I only use a tripod with my Tech camera. When I use the PhaseOne Camera I would say 80% are handheld. Is there a difference ? NO. Perhaps if you choose a shutter speed around the same as focal length, but doing so would be wrong. I prefer to use something around 2.5. So 45mm should be around 1/125 to 1/200. A 150 would be 1/400-1/800. Always depending on the enviroment. I can tell you that images shot that way will be 100% sharp and even mounting you camera on a huge tripod changes a thing.
:clap::clap:
It always makes me laugh when you see someone struggling with a tripod outside with the wind blowing the vegetation around :)

And if the S2 shutter really does have that much less slap . . . and if the ISO 800 really is okay . . . .

Of course, it still all boils down to whether it delivers or not.