The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Official USA Pricing for Leica S2

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agreed Thomas if it has that horsepower it could succeed. Obviously everything else that supports this effort needs to be in check as well but hopefully we will learn a lot more in the coming weeks. Not a big fan of the 3:2 shooting ratio since going 4:3 but I have bounced around on that for many years on image format size.

fotografz

Not sure if we discussed that in this thread - it was WRT full frame image circle on the new H3D2-60 in combination with the HCD28 lens.

The answer is - have a look on the Hasselblad site and their documentation: all HCD lenses (28 and 35-90) will not deliver the full frame of the 60MP back - period!

This is really unfortunate, as Hasselblad obviously made their FF decision some 3 years ago, when they did not know about the next generation sensor sizes, or simply were ignorant. So either there will be another "new" 28 lens which will support the larger image circle or simply Phase has a clear advantage here with their Mamiya solution and the P65+

Also I can tell you that I tested Phocus - and of course I am not a very experienced user now after playing with it for several hours - but I find this SW on the level of C1Pro some 4 years ago - PERIOD!

This is really not amusing - especially if one reads through all the nice stories behind and around Hasselblad!

What finally counts for me is execution - and I do not see execution anymore in the Hasselblad camp - rather fighting competition and closing the camp :thumbdown:
Several hours with Phocus and you're expert enough to make declaritive statements? Trust me, you are NOT. Period!

Execution? What do you mean by execution? Please clarify.

This is execution that benefits me:

Hasselblad has continuously upgraded my H3D-II performance with software and firmware improvements. Not that others haven't ... just that they have!

They have offered a T/S device that uses my existing lenses should I opt for that. They didn't promise it and not deliver it. They delivered it. Period.

They have improved the performance of the camera itself without making me buy another body. The focus accuracy is improved. The ISO performance has improved. Power use has improved. They added the ability to use shutter delay to aid in slower shutter hand-held work ... which actually works! And so on, and on, and on.

I had a Mamiya 645 and hated the camera so much I got out of it at a loss. A declarative statement based on a lot more than a few hours playing around with it ... more like real jobs over a year of heavy use. Multiple batteries, no ability to swap finders, shooting delay, slower AF than the H camera, no central leaf shutter lenses as promised forever :thumbdown:. IMHO, despite the H camera being over a decade old now, it's still a better camera. :thumbup: Period.

Fighting competition? You mean making competitive products at a more reasonable price point? Sounds good to me.

Mamiya 28 an advantage due to full frame coverage? Not the one I tried on my Mamiya. Soft in the corners even on a crop frame DB ... can't imagine it on a 60 meg back.

The Hassey 28 was made so people that needed a wide angle solution for then existing 31 meg back @ 1.3X crop and 39 meg back @ 1.1X crop could have one THEN, not years later. Whether they bring out a FF 28 will probably depend on how popular the 60 back is eventually.

If by "execution" you mean IQ ... I've used them all quite a bit (except the Sinar Backs), and don't see one iota of difference, just differences in philosphy on how to get there.

BTW, the nice stories around Hasselblad are because it delivers. At least for me it does. Relentlessly and reliably. Period! :thumbs:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
We really ought to give this thread back to the S2, but a couple of thoughts on Hasselblad and raw converters:

Raw converters to three things: (1) sort and grade photos (ie photo editing in the editorial sense), (2) convert raw files to usable files, and (3) permit the user to apply image adjustments to the conversion. I've spent a lot of time with LR, Phocus and C1. Both Phocus and C1 are poor at (1); LR is brilliant. Both Phocus and Ci make remarkably good conversions (2) however you judge them - they find stuff in the files that you can't believe is there; LR is only very good at conversions. In terms of the sophistication of (3) - image adjustments, I rank C1 first, LR second and Phocus third. But balanced against this is the fact that Hasselblad produces brilliant color without much fuss. My process is to make "centered" conversions in Phocus, convert to 16-bit tiff and carry on in Lr if necessary (it usually isn't).

As far as the camera is concerned I've got a H3D 39 (not a II) that a purchased for a decent price 18 months ago; I've been thrilled at Hasselblad's ongoing support for this camera, which has been improved substantially during this period through firmware updates; I've been thrilled at Hasselblad's service, which has provided 2-day turn around (not including shipping time so 4-5 days altogether); and I'm thrilled that I can use a large range of excellent (in some cases brilliant) V glass, glass that Hasselblad now supports with DAC corrections in a recent firmware update.

The tilt shift adapter is another interesting aspect of the system; I've had one for a month or so and when I get a chance I'll post a mini-review on this forum.

I've suspected for some time that you don't see many Hasselblad shooters on these forums (at least compared to the number of cameras out there) because they are all out shooting and don't have a lot of technical issues.

finally on open vs. closed system: I can put my Hasselblad back on my Horseman body - in that sense it's open - but I can't put a Phase back on my Hasselblad. Are there any shooters on this forum who are using a non-Phase back on a Phase One or Mamaya body? If the answer is "none" it what sense is the Phase system "open" or more to the point why does it matter?

Guy Mancuso

Folks just FYI i got word that I will have specs coming today so we can chew on what they are and get a better idea of what is under the hood. I think that is something we can look at and get some better idea of where we as individuals are at with regards to understanding it better and as a forum able to discuss on those specs from Leica in a more less speculative light.

That is good news Guy. I look forward to seeing the specs. I am also anxious to see proof photos from a production S2 although that may not happen today. I fully expect initial reviews from well placed photographers/reviewers to start showing up in the next few weeks - certainly before the launch date which isn't that far away now.

Mark

LJL

Great, Guy. Thanks for posting.

Noticed that ISO is 80-1250 (those odd conventions again, like on the M8). So it should cover the lower end for some shooters, but looks a tad short of original target on the high end. Will have to wait to see the images to see how clean things are at 1250. Not picking nits here, just commenting on what they are posting now that it is production.

Looking forward to images. Did they say if they will be available as full resolution raw samples or just processed JPEGs? Time to get monitors recalibrated (if folks do not do that regularly now).

LJ

carstenw

Yeah, I had hoped for ISO 100-1600, but I am a lot happier with 80-1250 than the M8's 160-2500. 2500 is more or less useless anyway, except for grungy B&W, but 160 is just too high on sunny days. Actually, I could get used to 80, I suppose. A little leeway on the bottom end is a good thing.

Last edited:

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Just got the specs myself.

We'll have to see how the pixel binning turns out and whether it allows for higher ISOs at lower MPs.

The ISO range is interesting. The prototypes had "normal" ISO ranges (100, 200, 400, 800, 1600). Seeing 80 is nice from a studio perspective, though.

Some questions answered, many remain. Now we just wait for images.

David

LJL

We'll have to see how the pixel binning turns out and whether it allows for higher ISOs at lower MPs.
David,
Maybe I missed something, but nowhere in these published specs does it mention "pixel binning for higher ISOs at lower MPs". I know this has been speculated and discussed, but if it is real, why does Leica not mention it? Curious.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Ya know we talked about it yesterday too about the pixel binning. Not sure why those are not in the specs.

Christopher

Well the specs don't really give us any news. They confirmed a few things, but we will have to wait to see some real images. Especially about the ISO part. 1250 can be good or bad. We will see in thex next few days. I only really hope Leica gives us some real images and not some small jpgs and some 100% crops were you can't tell how much work has been done.

Christopher

That is another part I am really worried about. Lightroom as final raw software. Don't get me wrong I love it as sorting and final editing tool. I do 80% of my work in Lightroom, but when it comes to the final conversion from raw to TIFF, there is only Capture One or Raw Developer. I would prefer RD, but it's mac only so no option. So I am left with C1 which I hate and love. I mean the interface I think is sad, I think the speed sucks, the layout is **** and even after using it since it came out I hate the program, but the TIFFs just look better, I mean High ISO looks terrible in lightroom, it looks more like pixelated dark stuff compared to fine "film" grain noise from C1. Sad that Adobe can't do better or some people really think Lightroom files look better :Q.

( A small note: I use C1 only with minimal color noise reduction and NONE lum. noise. I still think if you leave on noise reduction in C1 the file looks even worse than in Lightroom. Every smaller detail is getting mushed. RawDeveloper is another story)

So bottom line I would have wished Leica had thought of a better solution than Lightroom, but perhaps Lightroom 3 isn't to far off and Adobe actually worked on the whole processing engine. Well or not ^^

Guy Mancuso

I am just not the biggest Lightroom fan. So this part does bug me. I guess since it is a DNG that C1 may see them but you may have to buy a ICC profile software package to create a ICC profile to use in C1 if that is something you wanted to try. I think they are around 500 to 700 dollars and a real PITA to do.

TimWright

I would think that Leica worked a little more closely than most with Adobe as they did with Phase and the M8. I find that Aperture does a better job at converting my M8 files than LR but that LR is better with my Canon files.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I am just not the biggest Lightroom fan. So this part does bug me. I guess since it is a DNG that C1 may see them but you may have to buy a ICC profile software package to create a ICC profile to use in C1 if that is something you wanted to try. I think they are around 500 to 700 dollars and a real PITA to do.
If that would work then the whole S System becomes much more interesting for me! I need to be able to work with C1Pro in order to love a camera/system, because this is what became my quasi standard :)

So let's hope!

georgl

The S2 uses the open DNG-standard - and C1 supports DNG!? What happens when somebody (even from Solms) would deliver a non-official S2-color-profile for C1? Would C1 still detect it as a file it is not allowed to open?

I wonder what happens to all the know-how that was invested into the internal JPG-engine, if it really works as well, wouldn't it possible to transfer the algorithms into a PS-plugin?

I love the conversion quality of C1 but hate it's instability and their unwillingness to improve certain bugs.

carstenw

Is a profile all that is needed to support a camera as well as the Phase backs, or are there other pieces needed for that level of integration?