The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Differences Between CFV and CFVII?

Double Negative

Not Available
Hey gang.

So I recently got into the 'Blad thing - after wanting one for, like, ever. I shoot digital and film and most of my systems can do both. I'm definitely NOT buying an S2 - but I digress. :D

I haven't been able to find a reference anywhere about what the differences are between the CFV and CFV II backs. Anyone have a moment that can shed some light on this for me?

The CFV-39 is pretty self-explanatory, at least from a resolution standpoint.

Professional

Congratulations!
You will get the answer here sooner or later, i will watch this thread.
How do you find your Hasselblad 503CW? did you use 500CM before? if so then what is the main differences between the two?

T

tetsrfun

I haven't been able to find a reference anywhere about what the differences are between the CFV and CFV II backs.
The CFV II has a larger LCD display 2.5" v 2.2", an improved IR filter, an improved circuitry for time and date functions...there may be a few other more minor changes. The CVF II is discontinued. The 503CWD is still being offered as a kit with the 40mm lens. It is a good deal.

Steve

Double Negative

Not Available
Congratulations!
You will get the answer here sooner or later, i will watch this thread.
How do you find your Hasselblad 503CW? did you use 500CM before? if so then what is the main differences between the two?
Thank you! I'm quite stoked about it.

I've shot plenty of MF before, but never on a 'blad. I always wanted one and did a lot of research so I knew what to get and kind of what to expect. Still, it's an impressive little thing... I'm loving it. I got a ridiculous deal and with the savings I picked up a 4/50 Distagon CF and 4/150 Sonnar CF, along with an extra A12 (late style). Just need a WLF (also late style). :)

The differences are basically the newer Acute Matte D focusing screen, Gliding Mirror System, winder support, TTL flash exposure and some slight changes to the waist level finder and film magazine. See, I studied!

I haven't been able to find a reference anywhere about what the differences are between the CFV and CFV II backs.
The CFV II has a larger LCD display 2.5" v 2.2", an improved IR filter, an improved circuitry for time and date functions...there may be a few other more minor changes. The CVF II is discontinued. The 503CWD is still being offered as a kit with the 40mm lens. It is a good deal.
Thanks for the info, Steve! The larger display is nice, an improved IR filter is always a good thing (I shoot a Leica M8 as well so I know this deal all too well) and yes - the time and date functions, heh. An issue I've read about. Basically it sounds like a bugfix release. I know they're discontinued, but my budget for a MFDB right now is small, so a gently used one is what I'm after. At some point I'll probably spring for the CFV-39. I'm not too keen on the H series. I like to rock the old school. :)

I thought about the 503CWD kit, and even the older "collector's edition" was a nice setup - which pop up occasionally on the 'bay. I'm new to the H club, so I didn't want to drop a whole lot of coin up front. But with the aforementioned deal and extra lenses - I'm in it for a while now apparently (LOL). I can see us getting along very well as it fills some needs that the Mamiya 7II isn't. Part of the reason I chose the 503CW was to complete the digital kit on my own timeline.

T

tetsrfun

I know they're discontinued, but my budget for a MFDB right now is small,
It will be interesting to see if the CFV39 will "flush" some CFV or CFV IIs onto the used market. Right now they are pretty scarce. It's a shame that the CFV II has been discontinued; if they had lowered the price to $7000 USD, it would have put the price in range for legacy Hassy owners.

Steve

Steve

Double Negative

Not Available
Indeed, you would expect to see people dumping them to upgrade and I believe it's already happening... Compared to a few months ago, used ones just about doubled (or even tripled) in number. I see them go for $6-7k, for the back only.

This is clearly hitting the high-end of DSLRs at the moment. A Canon 1Ds Mark III goes for around $6k new, for example. For that kind of money you can take a huge leap in IQ with a CFV, IMO. Already having a V series camera and thinking ahead about MF digital it's almost a no-brainer as the lowest cost of entry.

fotografz

I know they're discontinued, but my budget for a MFDB right now is small,
It will be interesting to see if the CFV39 will "flush" some CFV or CFV IIs onto the used market. Right now they are pretty scarce. It's a shame that the CFV II has been discontinued; if they had lowered the price to $7000 USD, it would have put the price in range for legacy Hassy owners.

Steve

Steve
I may be selling my very lightly used CFV-II soon. Back only. All accessories, with some accessories not included with the factory original. Mint (still has the protective tape plastic on the LCD : -). All the latest firmware updates loaded.

Yes, I'm upgrading to the CFV/39.

Contact me if interested.

-Marc

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hey gang.

So I recently got into the 'Blad thing - after wanting one for, like, ever. I shoot digital and film and most of my systems can do both. I'm definitely NOT buying an S2 - but I digress. :D

I haven't been able to find a reference anywhere about what the differences are between the CFV and CFV II backs. Anyone have a moment that can shed some light on this for me?

The CFV-39 is pretty self-explanatory, at least from a resolution standpoint.
Hasselblad makes a good back, but if you're just starting your search there is no reason to restrict your search to them. Every Phase One back is available in Hassy V mounts. Phase solutions start around $3,500 (we have a square 16 megapixel H20 at this price) all the way to $40,000 (P65+) and integrate with Capture One, which is very highly regarded both here and elsewhere.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

fotografz

Hasselblad makes a good back, but if you're just starting your search there is no reason to restrict your search to them. Every Phase One back is available in Hassy V mounts. Phase solutions start around $3,500 (we have a square 16 megapixel H20 at this price) all the way to $40,000 (P65+) and integrate with Capture One, which is very highly regarded both here and elsewhere.

All the MFD backs are darned good.

However, it should be pointed out that the CFV and CFV-II are the ONLY backs which are sync'ed to the Hasselblad V cameras, and do NOT require a sync cable from the Zeiss lens to the digital back. This is what makes them unique for use on a V camera. They are also designed to look exactly like the chrome trimmed V film backs.

They are also the ONLY backs which will work on a 200 series Hasselblad V camera and provide full shooting at all shutter speeds up to 1/2000th (200 series cameras require a slight modification by Hasselblad to use the CFVs).

Double Negative

Not Available
...However, it should be pointed out that the CFV and CFV-II are the ONLY backs which are sync'ed to the Hasselblad V cameras, and do NOT require a sync cable from the Zeiss lens to the digital back. This is what makes them unique for use on a V camera. They are also designed to look exactly like the chrome trimmed V film backs...
I have to admit, having no cable and providing a seamless look (integration) are some major selling points in favor of the CFV backs. Somewhat superficial? Maybe. But there it is.

Sync cables are not known to be the most robust connections in the world, and it's one more thing to deal with. Plus there are two ends for things to go wrong with. Thankfully I'm using CF lenses, so the port is at least collared for a better connection.

fotografz

I have to admit, having no cable and providing a seamless look (integration) are some major selling points in favor of the CFV backs. Somewhat superficial? Maybe. But there it is.

Sync cables are not known to be the most robust connections in the world, and it's one more thing to deal with. Plus there are two ends for things to go wrong with. Thankfully I'm using CF lenses, so the port is at least collared for a better connection.
It's the cables themselves that are fragile. Yes, the tips can go bad as can the lens sync port itself ... but most of the faliures I've experieced have been fixed with a new sync cable.

jlm

Workshop Member
just to plug the blad vs other backs...
no extra cost for the Phocus software
no wake-up needed for the back
uses standard Sony batteries and charger

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
no extra cost for the Phocus software
no wake-up needed for the back
uses standard Sony batteries and charger
All three of these are true for the Phase One backs used on the 500 series body.
- No extra cost for C1 (for use with phase backs)
- No wake-up needed for a 500 series body
- Uses standard Sony video batteries and charger

just to plug the blad vs other backs...
- Absolutely. If this is important to you than you should go with the Hassy. It is just a small cable that needs to be plugged in, and carrying a spare for full redundancy would be a small cable in your camera pouch (though in my experience they fail far less often that seems to be implied in this thread). But different strokes for different folks.

------

Some advantages of the Phase system:
- incredibly simple menu/button operation (can be used with gloves etc)
- clean long exposures (up to an hour or longer depending on the model)
- integration with Capture One
- excellent track record of reliability in-the-field in a variety of extreme conditions (cold/hot/humidity/dust etc)

Absolutely agreed that there are few "losers" in the world of medium format backs. They all have advantages and disadvantages, but they are almost all "good" or better. I just wouldn't spend the money on one until I had actually used at least two or three of my options. Specs/Paper/Forums are one thing, but actually shooting them and taking them through the complete workflow is another.

T

tetsrfun

I may be selling my very lightly used CFV-II soon. Back only. All accessories, with some accessories not included with the factory original. Mint (still has the protective tape plastic on the LCD : -). All the latest firmware updates loaded.

Yes, I'm upgrading to the CFV/39.

Contact me if interested.

-Marc
If I didn't already own a CFV, I would seriously consider your offer. As an aside, (for a "V" system), I am still amazed that the CFV39 is 1/2 the cost of a CF. What is the trade off, for paying 1/2 the cost, other than being locked into a "V"system?

Steve

Steve