The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 and Infrared ?????

P

pmmitchnick

I used to shoot Kodak Hi Speed Infra Red w my Contax G1. I had the infrared sensor in the camera modified (metal tape over 1/2 the sensor) to prevent it from fogging past the perforations into the picture area. I now own a Contax 645 system and Efke is coming out with an Infrared B&W film close to Kodaks.
Very exciting for me. So am I going to have the same issues with fogging the film because of the Infra Red Sensor. Does anyone have any experience with this ??? Interestingly the lenses have infra red witness marks.
Thanks
pmmitchnick
[email protected]

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I used to shoot Kodak Hi Speed Infra Red w my Contax G1. I had the infrared sensor in the camera modified (metal tape over 1/2 the sensor) to prevent it from fogging past the perforations into the picture area. I now own a Contax 645 system and Efke is coming out with an Infrared B&W film close to Kodaks.
Very exciting for me. So am I going to have the same issues with fogging the film because of the Infra Red Sensor. Does anyone have any experience with this ??? Interestingly the lenses have infra red witness marks.
Thanks
pmmitchnick
[email protected]
EXCELLENT question; I don't know if the Contax 645 film backs have these sensors! If no one can tell you then my suggestion would be load film, drop the viewfinder-blocker (or hold your hand over the viewfinder), keep the lens cap on, and shoot through a roll and have it processed.

For sure let us know your results. I used to shoot with Macophot 820 IR and IR Aura. I think that emulsion was either rebranded, or imitated by Efke in their current 820 film. I've also shot SFX200 and HIE. Ever since my company started selling/marketing Infrared modified digital backs for bodies like Contax (examples) which smash the quality from any of those films I haven't shot a frame of IR film.

Edit: another idea might be to manually run the film through the back several times (changing it in the darkest possible environment to avoid confusing any fogging with problems caused by the back) to ensure the test is the worst case scenario.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

P

pmmitchnick

Doug
Yes I think you are correct. EFKE is coming out with a version that has no anti halation backing. That interests me and I will run a roll through the camera without making an exposure. If there is an issue, I will fix it. If the film feels like the late great Kodak, I will continue. If it is, as some suggest a real ISO 3 film; I probably won't. Thank you for your interest in my concern. Yes a digital back could probably be tailored to give me a Kodak feeling however I am just a talented amateur and can't justify the expense for anything more sophisticated that shooting film.
When I do this test, when the film becomes available, I will let you know my findings.
Thanks again.