The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macbook Air tethering

Dolce Moda

I am doing some travel soon and would like to get the very lightest laptop that I could shoot
tethered to. I know that the Macbook Air has no firewire. Is there a way of getting around
that by using a firewire to USB hub?

I guess the other alternative would be to get the new Macbook pro 13

Thoughts and experiences?

Terry

Not sure on the USB problem but I went round and round on the Air since inception. Bottom line for the same money (using the better version of the 13") but 1.5 pound more you get a lot more flexibility and computing power. I bought the 13" when it came out and really like it.

carstenw

I have both the Air and the new Macbook Pro 15", and the Air is simply not very strong. It is a beautiful, light, stylish, well-designed computer, but with no Firewire, 1.6/1.8GHz processor (unless Apple increased it), max 2GB RAM, a 1.8" harddrive (max around 120GB, I believe), it is simply not very well specified for professional use with a high-end camera. Even my MacBook Pro sometimes chugs along slowly, under pressure from large files.