Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hasselblad Planar T* 2.0/110 FE + Modified 5D

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselblad Planar T* 2.0/110 FE + Modified 5D

and here with a different lens mounted on my customed made auto bellows for the Contax 645 system. Can you guess which lens is this one this time Marc?

best regards
    son

Full view crop size image

100% view

100% view

btw: I took Dr. Kay advise and went with ThinkTank for my travel bags.
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Son, are those shot with your Hy6 or Contax???

They show phenomenal detail
    Jack,
    These were shots with my Contax 645 system. I also shot them with the Hasselblad 205 and the Rollei 6008 system. Yes these are the highest resolving power you are witnessing now.

Best Regards,
    Son
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW Marc,
    Using flash to shoot will show more crisp details than using natural ambient light. Thus, for resolution test for optics or sensor I prefer to use the tougher challenge and use ambient light in all these shots.
    Best Regards,
    Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW, with the ThinkTank poster image do you see any flare issue? I have found a way to eliminate flare now.

best regards
    son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad CFV + Distagon T* 2.8/50 F

Post Thanks / Like

Son
    seems you have the 54H. Is that a 1,4,16 shot UNTETHERED back?
    The files, with the shift and full frame would make a 16 shot resolution equivalent to a single shot 40MP or more!(with the shift etc.)

Since many of us do not need 39MP all the time I would be interested to see a Sinar-Pahse comparosin.

With Lance here, if theirry would join we could get some real perspective on where these two are going. With a Leaf advocate (and I will admit to being a Phase booster!!) we could get some real insight

But maybe they don't want that

thsinar

hi Victor,

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    Son
    seems you have the 54H. Is that a 1,4,16 shot UNTETHERED back?
    The SB 54 H needs to be tethered: this particular back is from the 2nd generation of digital backs and was the first (and exclusive) 22 MPx at the time when released, for nearly one year.

Still, it is an amazing back and the quality reached in multishot is difficult to surpass, with the right lenses.

The files, with the shift and full frame would make a 16 shot resolution equivalent to a single shot 40MP or more!(with the shift etc.)
    The file size with the 4-shot is the same as for the single shot, BUT with one big difference: it is not interpolated colors like the single shot, thus producing true colors without interpolation artifacts.

The 16-shot and its 1/2 pixel move after each shot does increase the resolution by for: in consequence of what one reaches an optical resolution of 88,8 Mpx.

Since many of us do not need 39MP all the time I would be interested to see a Sinar-Pahse comparison.
    It all depends on the subject and its details: if you want to shoot a white piece of paper, ANY single shot will do it. The more details the more difficult it will basically be for the single shot. And some subjects are simply impossible to render with all details and colors like a multishot does.

But maybe they don't want that
    Why not? As said, it is an optical and physical matter, one being calculated (interpolated) colors (single shot), a kind of "guess-work", the other being true un-interpolated colors (multishot).As good as the current interpolation algorithms are, and they are pretty amazing IMO (so much that it makes sometimes wonder how what get get such good results when the color information of 2 pixels out of 3 is missing with the single shot!), there are simply subjects which can be taken only in multishot mode.

Best regards,
    Thierry
    Last edited by thsinar; 24th March 2008 at 01:45.

Post Thanks / Like

is there an untethered multishot back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

is there an untethered multishot back?
    Yes via Hasselblad CF22 (1,4,16 shots) or CF39 (1,4 shots).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here's the 110 FE on an Aptus 75s (shot wide open)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim, that is an awesome shot! She has to be even a couple years older than my dad, who is 91...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JimCollum View Post

Freakin' awesome Jim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JimCollum View Post
    Wow! Great job!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice shot Jim.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Nice shot Jim.
    thanks!

so far, this is my favorite lens on the Mamiya/aptus combo

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like a awesome combination , no question . Has a very nice look to it and the bokeh is really smooth on it. I know Jack wanted this lens too and seems his is on the way. You guys are going to kill me in Carmel.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Freakin' awesome Jim.
    Jim

I have looked at this image about twenty different times today. It is so awesome as to be beyond words. Love it and my congratulations to you for a once in a lifetime shot. WOW

woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I want that lens back

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also have come back to this shot about a half dozen times. Wow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't get any idea's . I get them first remember

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pham Minh Son View Post
    BTW Marc,
    Using flash to shoot will show more crisp details than using natural ambient light. Thus, for resolution test for optics or sensor I prefer to use the tougher challenge and use ambient light in all these shots.
    Best Regards,
    Son
    That would be valid if you think optics can overcome bad lighting. I prefer to test lenses using very controlled and highly repeatable lighting scenarios ... which strobes like my Profoto's can provide. Depending on how I modify the light source, I can determine if a lens/back can resolve detail in product shots or how it handles fabrics ... and compare that lens against others on that specific digital back. At the same time I can determine the levels of CA in specular highlights.

For example, I tested a Hasselblad 120/4CFE macro AND a HC120/4 macro on my H3D-II39. Using that same camera/back, with the same lighting, the H/C was clearly more crisp ... which put to bed the notion that the Fuji optics are inferior ... at least in the case of the Macros. I now have a Rodenstock 120 Digitar coming for the Xact, and will test that against these two macros using the H3DII Back ... but I think I already know the answer to that question if other tests I've done are any indication : -)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    That would be valid if you think optics can overcome bad lighting. I prefer to test lenses using very controlled and highly repeatable lighting scenarios ... which strobes like my Profoto's can provide. Depending on how I modify the light source, I can determine if a lens/back can resolve detail in product shots or how it handles fabrics ... and compare that lens against others on that specific digital back. At the same time I can determine the levels of CA in specular highlights.

For example, I tested a Hasselblad 120/4CFE macro AND a HC120/4 macro on my H3D-II39. Using that same camera/back, with the same lighting, the H/C was clearly more crisp ... which put to bed the notion that the Fuji optics are inferior ... at least in the case of the Macros. I now have a Rodenstock 120 Digitar coming for the Xact, and will test that against these two macros using the H3DII Back ... but I think I already know the answer to that question if other tests I've done are any indication : -)
    Marc,
    I absolutely appreciate your view to the test and your test is very essential as well especially the fabrics and how they render on digital sensor. In my case, I do both but I tend to like the more natural ambient light test more since most of interest is natural light or most using the strobes as a fill light function. Thank you for pointing out the importance of the other test on optics.

Respectfully,
    -Son

Jim,
    great capture!
    Son

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim,
    I've been back to look at this image again and again... it is a remarkable capture. Bravo!

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a quick grab shot -- the first I took with my newly acquired 110 mounted on my equally newly acquired Mamiya AFD-II/ZD. I was amazed at how easy it is to focus and shoot with. Note that 1) this is NOT any great artistic image, just an image I post to show the extrmeme OOF rendering and paper-thin DOF (think Leica Noctilux thin DOF) and 2) how good the color from the ZD back is, a-la the blue flower thread...

Click the thumbs for full sizes. This image is as-shot straight out of the camera, daylight WB, AE exposure and my manual focus using the Mamiya's built-in focus confirmation dot, at near the minimum .75 m focus distance of the lens. NO sharpening applied other than normal capture sharpening during raw conversion (ACR), and NO color or exposure adjustments. Also note this flower is only about 30 or 40mm in width and that stamen is maybe a few mm tall.

And most of all, that is the EXACT color "purple" of the flower --- BUT, it renders as an almost pure blue on the camera's built-in LCD!

Full frame at 1200 pixels for reference; can you say buttery bokeh?:

And a 100% of just the flower -- and yes, I focused on the flower's stamen; just look at how thin the DOF is, yet how sharp this lens is wide open!:

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack,
    I've been waiting for you to post your first shots....was actually going to send you a PM to see if you were having fun. Sounds like you are! Congratulations!

Education time: a 110 is what in 35mm terms?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Jack,
    I've been waiting for you to post your first shots....was actually going to send you a PM to see if you were having fun. Sounds like you are! Congratulations!

Education time: a 110 is what in 35mm terms?
    Having fun, but have not had time to produce any real images yet

On "full frame" medium format sensors (36x48mm), you multiply by .72 to get the 35mm equivalent. So a 110 on MF digital is roughly an 80 in 35 terms...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The closest equivalent in angle of view and feel is the 75/1.4 Summilux. The lenses are very close in angle of view, performance and overall feel. If you like the Summilux, you'll like the 110/2, and if you like the 110/2, you'll like the summilux.

by the way Jack, nice demonstration of the DOF and the bokeh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

for example, these show the similar character of the two lenses, though neither are particularly flattering shots:
    75:

110:

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, you mention the flower color capture accuracy. I don't know why it should be so, but I, too, am constantly impressed by the accurate colors from my MF. PP has been greatly simplified.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

how good the color from the ZD back is, a-la the blue flower thread...

And most of all, that is the EXACT color "purple" of the flower --- BUT, it renders as an almost pure blue on the camera's built-in LCD!
    Beautiful shots!

So, it sounds like if you're going to shoot product photography, and this is the setup to use

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDauer View Post
    Beautiful shots!

So, it sounds like if you're going to shoot product photography, and this is the setup to use
    I assume you mean MF digital in general, and not specifically the Mamiya system? If so, I'd say an emphatic "Yes!" and add the adjective that MF capture is basically a *must* for competitive product photography...

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Great examples of beautiful isolation, Stuart. There is a lot of similarity to the look these deliver.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

I assume you mean MF digital in general, and not specifically the Mamiya system? If so, I'd say an emphatic "Yes!" and add the adjective that MF capture is basically a *must* for competitive product photography...

Cheers,
    Jack,
    This was kind of what I was getting at in that other thread. The MF just blows away everything else for product and commercial use. The details and colors are outstanding.

So how big do you plan to print some of these files?

LJ

Post Thanks / Like

Jack - Your posts are getting me amped. Son's second 110/2 is enroute to me as we speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Jack - Your posts are getting me amped. Son's second 110/2 is enroute to me as we speak.
    Tell me about it --- lens is so freaking good I never want to be without one and just bought another as spare... Is that sick or what???

Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yikes,
    With all this spring buying fever, I think we are all going to be eating at McDonalds in Carmel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Yikes,
    With all this spring buying fever, I think we are all going to be eating at McDonalds in Carmel.
    I'm bringing sack lunches for myself, have no idea what you guys will be doing...
    Jack

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm bringing sack lunches for myself, have no idea what you guys will be doing...
    After our little planned excursion to Sean's we may all be sharing your lunch!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Son's second 110 arrived today. The packing defeated my pocket knife, so a single sided razor blade had to be called in.

Still waiting for the adapter, but this lens just oozes well-made. There is something about the West German made Zeiss lenses that just isn't there in the Cosina-built units, as good as there construction.

BTW: Son's quality ratings on his gear would put KEH to shame. Immaculate and smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Son's second 110 arrived today. The packing defeated my pocket knife, so a single sided razor blade had to be called in.
    It's quite true, nobody, NOBODY, seals up a package the way Son does.

Post Thanks / Like

Son sent back a cfamera he tested last year and I STILL haven't been able to open the pack!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Son sent back a cfamera he tested last year and I STILL haven't been able to open the pack!

If I knew this would happen I might as well kept the camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In fairness to Son, he's getting better. I was able to get to my last lens from him in under 10 minutes --- a new record!

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Son,

modified 5D
    modified how, if I may ask? cheers, kl

Post Thanks / Like

Jim: truly excellent image.

A tech. q., if I may: were you focussed on the skin of her cheek deliberately? That plane of focus renders her R. eye slightly soft, to me. I know it's behind a lens of its own, so I am guessing that if that were razor sharp, the skin would not, but curious just the same.

Overall, tremendous impact. cheers, kl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Son,
    modified how, if I may ask? cheers, kl
    Kit,
    the 5D was modified by cutting the mirror off to allow the use of Leica R wide angle lens. The mirror box was also shaved off to free the aperture rear hinge of the Contax lens from catching onto the mirror box and preventing the aperture from stopping down when a thin adapter is usde to allow infinity focus. I will post an image for you to see later.

Son

Post Thanks / Like

Of course: no need to post pics—I had forgotten that you had modified your 5D that way. cheers, kl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Jim: truly excellent image.

A tech. q., if I may: were you focussed on the skin of her cheek deliberately? That plane of focus renders her R. eye slightly soft, to me. I know it's behind a lens of its own, so I am guessing that if that were razor sharp, the skin would not, but curious just the same.

Overall, tremendous impact. cheers, kl
    thanks for the words!

I would like to say it was intentional.. the actual point of focus i was trying for was the top/middle of the right frame of the glasses. Depth of field with this lens wide open at this distance is just fractions of an inch.. and judging on the fly is best guess. i got lucky.