The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Planar T* 2.0/110 FE + Modified 5D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jim, that is an awesome shot! She has to be even a couple years older than my dad, who is 91...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks like a awesome combination , no question . Has a very nice look to it and the bokeh is really smooth on it. I know Jack wanted this lens too and seems his is on the way. You guys are going to kill me in Carmel.

fotografz

BTW Marc,
Using flash to shoot will show more crisp details than using natural ambient light. Thus, for resolution test for optics or sensor I prefer to use the tougher challenge and use ambient light in all these shots.
Best Regards,
Son
That would be valid if you think optics can overcome bad lighting. I prefer to test lenses using very controlled and highly repeatable lighting scenarios ... which strobes like my Profoto's can provide. Depending on how I modify the light source, I can determine if a lens/back can resolve detail in product shots or how it handles fabrics ... and compare that lens against others on that specific digital back. At the same time I can determine the levels of CA in specular highlights.

For example, I tested a Hasselblad 120/4CFE macro AND a HC120/4 macro on my H3D-II39. Using that same camera/back, with the same lighting, the H/C was clearly more crisp ... which put to bed the notion that the Fuji optics are inferior ... at least in the case of the Macros. I now have a Rodenstock 120 Digitar coming for the Xact, and will test that against these two macros using the H3DII Back ... but I think I already know the answer to that question if other tests I've done are any indication : -)

PSon

That would be valid if you think optics can overcome bad lighting. I prefer to test lenses using very controlled and highly repeatable lighting scenarios ... which strobes like my Profoto's can provide. Depending on how I modify the light source, I can determine if a lens/back can resolve detail in product shots or how it handles fabrics ... and compare that lens against others on that specific digital back. At the same time I can determine the levels of CA in specular highlights.

For example, I tested a Hasselblad 120/4CFE macro AND a HC120/4 macro on my H3D-II39. Using that same camera/back, with the same lighting, the H/C was clearly more crisp ... which put to bed the notion that the Fuji optics are inferior ... at least in the case of the Macros. I now have a Rodenstock 120 Digitar coming for the Xact, and will test that against these two macros using the H3DII Back ... but I think I already know the answer to that question if other tests I've done are any indication : -)
Marc,
I absolutely appreciate your view to the test and your test is very essential as well especially the fabrics and how they render on digital sensor. In my case, I do both but I tend to like the more natural ambient light test more since most of interest is natural light or most using the strobes as a fill light function. Thank you for pointing out the importance of the other test on optics.

Respectfully,
-Son

Jim,
great capture!
Son

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here is a quick grab shot -- the first I took with my newly acquired 110 mounted on my equally newly acquired Mamiya AFD-II/ZD. I was amazed at how easy it is to focus and shoot with. Note that 1) this is NOT any great artistic image, just an image I post to show the extrmeme OOF rendering and paper-thin DOF (think Leica Noctilux thin DOF) and 2) how good the color from the ZD back is, a-la the blue flower thread...

Click the thumbs for full sizes. This image is as-shot straight out of the camera, daylight WB, AE exposure and my manual focus using the Mamiya's built-in focus confirmation dot, at near the minimum .75 m focus distance of the lens. NO sharpening applied other than normal capture sharpening during raw conversion (ACR), and NO color or exposure adjustments. Also note this flower is only about 30 or 40mm in width and that stamen is maybe a few mm tall.

And most of all, that is the EXACT color "purple" of the flower --- BUT, it renders as an almost pure blue on the camera's built-in LCD!

Full frame at 1200 pixels for reference; can you say buttery bokeh?:

And a 100% of just the flower -- and yes, I focused on the flower's stamen; just look at how thin the DOF is, yet how sharp this lens is wide open!:

Terry

Jack,
I've been waiting for you to post your first shots....was actually going to send you a PM to see if you were having fun. Sounds like you are! Congratulations!

Education time: a 110 is what in 35mm terms?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
I've been waiting for you to post your first shots....was actually going to send you a PM to see if you were having fun. Sounds like you are! Congratulations!

Education time: a 110 is what in 35mm terms?
Having fun, but have not had time to produce any real images yet :)

On "full frame" medium format sensors (36x48mm), you multiply by .72 to get the 35mm equivalent. So a 110 on MF digital is roughly an 80 in 35 terms...

Stuart Richardson

The closest equivalent in angle of view and feel is the 75/1.4 Summilux. The lenses are very close in angle of view, performance and overall feel. If you like the Summilux, you'll like the 110/2, and if you like the 110/2, you'll like the summilux.

by the way Jack, nice demonstration of the DOF and the bokeh.

tom in mpls

Jack, you mention the flower color capture accuracy. I don't know why it should be so, but I, too, am constantly impressed by the accurate colors from my MF. PP has been greatly simplified.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
how good the color from the ZD back is, a-la the blue flower thread...

And most of all, that is the EXACT color "purple" of the flower --- BUT, it renders as an almost pure blue on the camera's built-in LCD!
Beautiful shots!

So, it sounds like if you're going to shoot product photography, and this is the setup to use ;)