The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Planar T* 2.0/110 FE + Modified 5D

PSon

I've been asked for medium format optics on 35 mm DSLR. Below are the spec and images:

No sharpening applied to the images.

Hasselblad Planar T* 2.0/110 FE + Modified 5D

@F2.0 for front and back bokeh and glow (resized for web)

@F5.6 (resized for web)

@F5.6 and 100% view

JimCollum

it won't let you see them unless you register and log into your forum. it probably would be better to either upload them here, or put them in a publicly available area

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
They load here just fine, it's just that the server you have them stored on is very slow, so they take quite a while to load...

robmac

I was the chap who asked for his thoughts of MF (in my case Mamiya APO) on FF EOS. very nice. Sharp, awesome bokeh. Thank you.

Stuart Richardson

I have never used it on anything other than the 203FE, but the 110/2 is an astounding lens. I think it is best on 6x6, but I suppose it is good on 35mm as well.
The 110 on 6x6 film:

robmac

Nice shots - numbers 2, 3 especially.

That being said, I do think you need to talk to your agency of choice about the girl/guy (?) they sent for shot #1 however.

EH21

Stuart,
Saw the second two previously on photo.net ... picked up the 110mm shortly afterwards for my Rollei. Honestly, I think if I only could have one lens for my Rollei this would be it. Its a fantastic optic...fast and sharp, easy to focus, great bokeh, close minimum distance, not flare prone and, great at all focal lengths. The only thing this lens does not do well is macro with tubes.
Eric

PSon

Great shots Son... now you need to design an adapter so I can use the lens on my D3 :)
Have to try my 110/2 FE on the 1DsMKIII. Thanks for the reminder.

Gotta try the 250/4 FE also : -)
Marc,
You should try the 110 FE on your 1Ds Mark III at wide open and at F5.6 for high resolution. I love the way the lens render the skin tone in texture as well as colors. I love it even more than the Leica Summilux 1.4/50 which in itself a great normal portrait lens. Below is an example of the Hasselblad 2.0/110 FE with the Leica DMR.

Last important note: Becareful with the Hasselblad adapters available out there. Some of them do not get to infinity focus from folks who used them. If you need me to expand more details I will come up with a new scenario for you.

Best Regards,
Son

PSon

Stuart,
Saw the second two previously on photo.net ... picked up the 110mm shortly afterwards for my Rollei. Honestly, I think if I only could have one lens for my Rollei this would be it. Its a fantastic optic...fast and sharp, easy to focus, great bokeh, close minimum distance, not flare prone and, great at all focal lengths. The only thing this lens does not do well is macro with tubes.
Eric
Eric,
I test both of the Rollei and Hasselblad on the same sensor and I love both. The Rollei version offer lower contrast and resulting in even more pleasing image but more test must be done before I can make the absolute conclusion. The Hasselblad is even easier to manual focus than the Rollei on the Rollei 6008 series. On the Hasselbad body this lens is incredible for focus.

Best Regards,
Son

PSon

I am currently working on limitation of lens and digital back resolution and the information can be view here until I update more in the coming weeks. Andi from FM forum asked this question before and now I have the opportunity to fulfill the question. The image will be improved upon the correction to the flare on the auto bellows. I have never seen details like this before. After getting some of the highest resolving power lens I have not been able to reach to a new level until the multi shots back was acquired.

Best Regards,
Son

http://popcapture.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43

Stuart Richardson

I wish I had the Rollei version as well, but I have only the Hasselblad version. I got it for 1100 dollars when I was in Japan (yes, the FE!), and I have not seen the Rollei version for less than a 3000, so I am not that interested in spending that much to duplicate a lens I already have. Another nice thing about the hasselblad version is that it is significantly smaller and lighter since it does not have a built in shutter. You can also shoot at 1/2000th of a second which makes it easier to shoot wide open outdoors. The downsides are that if you work with strobes, you are stuck with a 1/60th (or is it 1/90th?) sync speed. Also, the Rollei has better film flatness than the hasselblad, and this is the sort of lens where that actually matters...at f/2 and close up, even the curvature of the film can leave you with less than optimal sharpness.

Anyway, here is another film shot with it:

Apologies if you have seen it.

Rob -- the guy in line for a hotdog did not know I was shooting him. But I think he may have been at the tryouts for America's Next Top Model.

PSon

I wish I had the Rollei version as well, but I have only the Hasselblad version. I got it for 1100 dollars when I was in Japan (yes, the FE!), and I have not seen the Rollei version for less than a 3000, so I am not that interested in spending that much to duplicate a lens I already have. Another nice thing about the hasselblad version is that it is significantly smaller and lighter since it does not have a built in shutter. You can also shoot at 1/2000th of a second which makes it easier to shoot wide open outdoors. The downsides are that if you work with strobes, you are stuck with a 1/60th (or is it 1/90th?) sync speed. Also, the Rollei has better film flatness than the hasselblad, and this is the sort of lens where that actually matters...at f/2 and close up, even the curvature of the film can leave you with less than optimal sharpness.
Stuart, you are fine with your Hasselblad version and you got a great deal on the FE version. You pointed out all the benefit of one over the other and in the end if you have both you are covered on all ground.
Son

EH21

Tom,
What I mean is that some lenses are optimized for certain focal lengths, such as a macro or portrait lens which will be optimized for closer up, while other lenses such as the Leica 180 f/3.4 Telyt (which was designed for military use) was designed to be its best at infinity focus. The 110 f/2.0 seems to perform equally well at all distances.

Son,
That's interesting you think there is a difference between the 'blad and rollei versions. I do understand there were 5 versions of the lens but not sure there was a difference in formula between camera platforms. Was the Rollei version you tested the latest version or an older one? I understand that you can tell if the rear element cover has a square hole it is one of the last two versions and if its round then its older. I have no trouble focusing this lens - its by far the easiest lens of my whole Rollei collection to focus accurately even with the shallow DOF.

Stuart,
There were two of these 110 f/2.0 in Rollei mounts that were sold recently on Ebay from reputable camera dealers for pretty decent prices. One from shutterblade for $2175 with hood, caps and filter and another for less than $2k from Neptune (* I think*) I know because I paid a few hundred more for mine without the hood but mine was a demo with boxes and papers (latest version).

Either way these are great lenses.

Eric

tom in mpls

Tom,
What I mean is that some lenses are optimized for certain focal lengths, such as a macro or portrait lens which will be optimized for closer up, while other lenses such as the Leica 180 f/3.4 Telyt (which was designed for military use) was designed to be its best at infinity focus. The 110 f/2.0 seems to perform equally well at all distances.
I see. That makes sense. Another parameter where the hassy lens excels.

L

Louvre

Also, the Rollei has better film flatness than the hasselblad, and this is the sort of lens where that actually matters...at f/2 and close up, even the curvature of the film can leave you with less than optimal sharpness. QUOTE]

Has any of you guys ever had his Hasselblad backs tested and corrected for
optimum filmplane?

This is what I wonder whenever I read about Rollei or any other make having better film flatness the same goes for vacuum backs.
Sofar I have not seen one Hasselblad back with a 5 or more years of use that was spot on.
A back that was dropped will show misalignment 5 to 10 times more than is allowed.
A total of 35 backs were tested, mine and some from friends, and the results recorded.