The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Press release: S2 Technical Specs

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Metal focal-plane shutter integrated in body:
1/4000 s to 32 s (B to 120 s), flash sync time:
1/125 s, optional leaf shutter in selected
lenses: 1/500 s to 32 s, flash synch time: All
speeds

Looks like 2 minutes on Bulb. Little bugged by only 1/125 of a second for flash sync without the central shutter lens
1/125th for a focal plane shutter on MF seems to be par for the course (Mamiya, Contax).

Did you notice that it will do hgih-speed sync up to 1/4000th with the SF-58? Not that that helps with studio strobes.

David

LJL

Metal focal-plane shutter integrated in body:
1/4000 s to 32 s (B to 120 s), flash sync time:
1/125 s, optional leaf shutter in selected
lenses: 1/500 s to 32 s, flash synch time: All
speeds

Looks like 2 minutes on Bulb. Little bugged by only 1/125 of a second for flash sync without the central shutter lens
Yes, the 1/125s speed on sync is relatively slow. Most 35mm DSLR systems are at 1/250s and with some fiddling on remote triggers, one can get higher than that. One would think that Leica, with all its precision stuff and experience with shutters could deliver at least 1/250s at this point. Sure the mirror is bigger, etc., but this should be doable for them. The 1/500s on the CS lenses is nice, but also could be higher, as we are seeing with Hasselblad and optics for the "in limbo" Hy6.

As a number of folks have noted, that one stop of shutter speed can make all the difference in sharpness of images. With the slower sync, it may still cause some issues with hand held shooting, which is supposedly where the S2 is going to excel. Hmmmm.....math and words are not matching again.

We will have to wait and see how things turn out in real use, but these are some of the issues that were raised way earlier this year or late last year and do not seem to have changed on the Leica side.

LJ

LJL

1/125th for a focal plane shutter on MF seems to be par for the course (Mamiya, Contax).

Did you notice that it will do hgih-speed sync up to 1/4000th with the SF-58? Not that that helps with studio strobes.

David
Well, that HS sync with the SF-58 will help some. That sort of thing works nicely in the Canon system and the Nikon as well, but as you note, does nothing for use with studio flash, where it may be needed the most. That is unless beach shooters and other guys start forgoing their Brons, Hensels, Elinchroms, Profotos, etc., and start loading up on SF-58s. Not sure I see that happening right away or much at all. Just my thoughts.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

David
Yea we know and would kill for 1/250th. :ROTFL:

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Hey David what is the word on the 30-90 with regards to aperture and release dates.
I don't have info on release date yet, but the aperture should be a constant f/3.5 throughout the range.

My guess is that we'll see a 30-90 by winter/spring 2010. Just a guess, at this point, though.

David

tom in mpls

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

I think I need to skip these posts until someone can give us a first-hand report.

:cool:

woodyspedden

It all is but I think some of you are forgetting that we are still talking about a 30k+ System here. I wish Leica luck and will buy a M9 when it really comes in November and delivers as promised. For the S2 System, probably never. I mean we will see a new 1Ds and Nikon and Sony sooner rather than later, which will have something like 28+ pixels probably with many other new unique features. Will the S2 be better ? NO will it be different ? YES. I mean I see the point of the S2, I even can imagine that there are a lot of people interested, I get the concept, however I once again think it will be to little to late.

We will see I hope Leica proves me wrong. Especially at my guess that we won't see a FF M9 before Photokina :)
Christopher

You are postulating that the systems from Leica, Nikon, and Canon are equivalent in terms of image quality based upon MP and processing.

I would argue that the final image quality lies with the lenses and no one does them better than Leica.

JMHO

Woody

stephengilbert

Woody,

If "the final image quality lies with the lenses and no one does them better than Leica," why not use those (R) lenses on a Canon or Nikon camera?

With all due respect, many of the arguments here about why one should or shouldn't want an S2 sound familiar to me: I'm a lawyer, and regularly hear or read what lawyers say we should conlude from the evidence in a case. And here we don't have even any evidence yet.

Steve

Double Negative

Not Available
Well it certainly SOUNDS good.

Guy, I have to agree - those are some BIG barrels. An 82mm filter size for the 70mm lens? Dang...

Ben Rubinstein

1/125 sync and a 96% viewfinder, 1 focus point. Camera body that an Elan II circa 1995 can beat. When will these people realise that they need to make a camera body that is somewhat part of this century?

Not having a 100% viewfinder has me gobsmacked. Just can't believe it.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I have NO DOUBT about the IQ which comes out of the S System. My doubts are only related to Leica, their execution over the next years and the support, service for this system.

As I still did not buy into an MF system so far I will give the S System a try as soon as it hits the streets. I would need a system with 2 - 3 lenses in March 2010 now, so I still could vote for the S System, if I am overwhelmed. Which is what I am still far away from, but I am open to try.

If it does not work out, my solution is Phase, P45+ and 3 lenses. Should be cheaper also ;)

woodyspedden

Woody,

If "the final image quality lies with the lenses and no one does them better than Leica," why not use those (R) lenses on a Canon or Nikon camera?

With all due respect, many of the arguments here about why one should or shouldn't want an S2 sound familiar to me: I'm a lawyer, and regularly hear or read what lawyers say we should conlude from the evidence in a case. And here we don't have even any evidence yet.

Steve
Hey Steve

I do use R lenses on a 5D. Love the lenses but don't like the look of Canon sensors. Just a personal bias I guess.

Woody

woodyspedden

The IQ surely comes from both lenses and camera unit.
Hey Carsten

Of course the sensor/body has a component to final IQ........no doubt. But the lenses for these high rez systems are the ultimate determinant. That is why the tech cameras, which use primarily Schneider and Rodenstock lenses, have become so popular. JMHO

Woody

carstenw

I think this is only the case because the sensors are uniformly good, but the lenses vary greatly. If the sensors in MF cameras were made by Canon instead of Kodak and Dalsa, this situation would be very different. For the 35mm DSLRs, both sensors and lenses are a huge deal, which is how a camera like the A900 can come in and change the market.

Your observation about Schneiders and Rodenstocks is only so because there are many disappointing lenses in MF. I doubt strongly that the Leicas will be among those.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hey Steve

I do use R lenses on a 5D. Love the lenses but don't like the look of Canon sensors. Just a personal bias I guess.

Woody
Hi Woody,

Me neither BUT I greatly prefer the 5DII files through Capture One. It makes a real difference. Have you tried?

T