The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar Hy6 Camera System - Video

EH21

Jack,
Are you talking about Keeble and Shutcat? I stopped in there a while back and they only had the AFi version.... if they have the Sinar version in then I'll have to stop back by.
Eric

David K

Workshop Member
Maybe we can get Thierry to make us a buy one get one free kind of deal :) Great video and it looks like an awesome camera. Can't wait to try one out myself.

Stuart Richardson

Thierry -- it looks like a fantastic camera system. I would love to use one. I currently use a Rollei 6008AF, so I have several lenses that will work for the camera. That said, there is no way that I can afford a Sinar digital back as a pro who is just starting out. I make most of my money from fine art work and commissions, and the current system is well above 20 or even 30,000 dollars. As excellent as this is, I find it untenable for the great majority of photographers. I hope that at some point Sinar will find a way to bring medium format digital to the public for under 10,000 dollars, but until then, I will continue to shoot on film and scan the results on an Imacon.

T

thsinar

Dear Stuart,

thanks for your comment: it has been well noted and shall be duly forwarded.

FYI: the entry level Sinar Hy6 with a SB 54 MC back (22 Mpx) has a recommended price of CHF 18'600.- (incl. Hy6 body, waist level finder, Schneider AFD 2.8/80mm, back, etc ...).

Of course, the state of the US $ does obviously not help, currently, since a few weeks back all was more than 20% cheaper for our fellow photographers from the US.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry -- it looks like a fantastic camera system. I would love to use one. I currently use a Rollei 6008AF, so I have several lenses that will work for the camera. That said, there is no way that I can afford a Sinar digital back as a pro who is just starting out. I make most of my money from fine art work and commissions, and the current system is well above 20 or even 30,000 dollars. As excellent as this is, I find it untenable for the great majority of photographers. I hope that at some point Sinar will find a way to bring medium format digital to the public for under 10,000 dollars, but until then, I will continue to shoot on film and scan the results on an Imacon.

gogopix

Subscriber
Dear Stuart,

thanks for your comment: it has been well noted and shall be duly forwarded.

FYI: the entry level Sinar Hy6 with a SB 54 MC back (22 Mpx) has a recommended price of CHF 18'600.- (incl. Hy6 body, waist level finder, Schneider AFD 2.8/80mm, back, etc ...).

Of course, the state of the US $ does obviously not help, currently, since a few weeks back all was more than 20% cheaper for our fellow photographers from the US.

Best regards,
Thierry

The US is a big market. Smart retailers knoiw they cant fight the exchange, and Mercedes for one actually sets separate US prices for that reason.

It would be a shame for this new product to lose share because it did not recognize realities; exchanges are based on government policy, and sales are based on comparative buying power. In the long run, it will work out and in the future whatever would be lost in margin now will be made up in volumn and future sales.

As a retired management consultant, it still amazes me how few companies under 1 billion dollars in turnover think things through. ALL the MFDB and camera manufacturers are small (phase, alpa, sinar leaf even zeiss and leica) ANd remember, those using Kodak sensors are getting a good deal on the exchange, so let's see some of that reflected in the prices as well.

So I suggest AGGRESSIVE US pricing with a US only warranty to avoid parallel import sales back to europe. (say, eat that 20% exchange difference. I won't.) If the Hy6 full resolution system were closer to 25k than 35k I would seriously consider it and so would many others.

Dear THierry

Just so you don't think 'free advice is worth what you pay for it' I will be sending Sinar an invoice for this wisdom. :ROTFL:

Last edited:

PeterA

These firms are all starving niche players - selling beautiful niche products for a relatively tiny market in the main populated by hungry pro shooters ( like WHO has EVER made a buck out of these types of clients?) and eccentric amateurs...of which I am proud to say i am one! LOL

gogopix

Subscriber
BTW my comments, although aimed at Sinar (I was cautioned about getting OT) reall applies to ALL back mfg.

[And Thierry, Lance et al I was only partially joking; I as many have a price point. Yes I have Phase, but I would be quite stupid not to regularly scan the SOTA. THierry and Lance have the courage to mix it up here, and in fact manybe that is an indication in itself that these companies do have an ear to the marketplace. ANyway, I for one appreciate their participation, and learn a lot from the discussions.

BTW-2, Thierry I hope you continue participating and I can assure you (and Lance) my mind and pocketbook are always open to the SOTA and what works best. Let's see

contax, Hassey, Rollei, same back.....:thumbs:

4regards
Victor

David K

Workshop Member
Victor,
Pretty much everybody has a price point and for the few that don't I wouldn't want to have a business model targeted solely at them. I've decided to switch to Sinar based on versatility and price because I consider the quality a given. I too appreciate the participation of Thierry and Yair on this forum (and others) and the way they handle themselves. With regard to international pricing and currency devaluations... only the market will determine what is the correct course of action. It's not helping with pricing on imports that's for sure.

T

thsinar

Victor,

no worries, I am still here!

Best regards,
Thierry

BTW my comments, although aimed at Sinar (I was cautioned about getting OT) reall applies to ALL back mfg.

[And Thierry, Lance et al I was only partially joking; I as many have a price point. Yes I have Phase, but I would be quite stupid not to regularly scan the SOTA. THierry and Lance have the courage to mix it up here, and in fact manybe that is an indication in itself that these companies do have an ear to the marketplace. ANyway, I for one appreciate their participation, and learn a lot from the discussions.

BTW-2, Thierry I hope you continue participating and I can assure you (and Lance) my mind and pocketbook are always open to the SOTA and what works best. Let's see

contax, Hassey, Rollei, same back.....:thumbs:

4regards
Victor

irakly

i was not impressed with leaf afi when a rep brought it to marc's (fotografz) studio. after shooting 6008i for many years i was expecting something more... formidable, perhaps?
so, i was really looking forward to the sinar version. a friend of mine bought one. i just spoke to him the other day, and he was not impressed either. complaints are the same, but now with a one month use history.
1. gray coating that i did not like in the first place appears to be coming off with no apparent reason.
2. a handle is too flexible. with 2.8/180 mounted it is actually scary to rely upon the handle as it bends noticeably.
3. a lens (that is 2.8/80) does not have a look and feel of rollei pq/pqs lenses. it looks more like old 6002/6006 rolleinars, but has this kind of plastic feel

T

thsinar

Dear Irakly,

That's against the vast majority of the feedback from Sinar Hy6 users, honestly. But I do respect your views.

As for your most seriously to consider critic of the handle: I can tell you the its mount does not bend and is IMO less scary than holding a H1/H2/H3: I did handle both systems, with heavy lenses, and I can assure that my experience is exactly the opposite to yours. And such is also the feedback from the market, from everybody having hold both cameras.
If your friend's handle does bend, then he should send it back: there must be something wrong with it.

- Gray coating is actually "Anthracite" color, 1 step before complete black: same here, I am using my own Sinar Hy6 since more than 4 months now, loaned it out to friends, took it with me on travels, and I have no grey coating coming off. Your friend has to complain about this as well.

Are you sure your friend has got a serie model and not a pre-serie?

Best regards,
Thierry

i was not impressed with leaf afi when a rep brought it to marc's (fotografz) studio. after shooting 6008i for many years i was expecting something more... formidable, perhaps?
so, i was really looking forward to the sinar version. a friend of mine bought one. i just spoke to him the other day, and he was not impressed either. complaints are the same, but now with a one month use history.
1. gray coating that i did not like in the first place appears to be coming off with no apparent reason.
2. a handle is too flexible. with 2.8/180 mounted it is actually scary to rely upon the handle as it bends noticeably.
3. a lens (that is 2.8/80) does not have a look and feel of rollei pq/pqs lenses. it looks more like old 6002/6006 rolleinars, but has this kind of plastic feel

irakly

thanks thierry. this is really interesting. i should drag him here. i'll talk to the guy tomorrow. he is a former student of mine, a very competent fellow. he has no reason to bash the system just for fun.

T

thsinar

sure, I was not thinking of him bashing, not at all. But such issues should not be there at the first place, and I am speaking (writing) because I am using the Sinar Hy6 system daily.

Best regards,
Thierry

thanks thierry. this is really interesting. i should drag him here. i'll talk to the guy tomorrow. he is a former student of mine, a very competent fellow. he has no reason to bash the system just for fun.

BJNY

Please ask your friend to provide some snapshots showing both.

irakly

thanks thierry. he mentioned that he was the first one in the usa who got the camera. i'll have him drop you a note. hopefully he will get a replacement before we write a review on it :)