Site Sponsors

Thread: New here: a few low-tech pics while waiting for my CFV-39...

Post Thanks / Like

Talking New here: a few low-tech pics while waiting for my CFV-39...

I just ordered one of these, which will be delivered to me in about a week or two... in the meantime, as a small and as low-tech as possible introduction to the MF forum, I thought I'd post a few MF BW landscapes; these have been shot with a Holga regular and a Holga pinhole panoramic camera during my recent trip to Scotland.

Here they come, first the Holga, all on Tri-X 400:

Neist Point, Tri-X 400

Relic

Relic, Nr. 2

Eileen Donean Castle, a classic

Connectivity, in the middle of nowhere

Close to Loch Coruisk

Urquarth Castle, another classic

And now, some pinhole stuff, Ilford Pan-F 50:

The Hermitage Castle

I actually think that there is a place for these cameras in one's bag - they weight just about nothing, and they offer some nice creative opportunities...

As always, C&C are very welcome!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New here: a few low-tech pics while waiting for my CFV-39...

Very nice series from your Holga and pinhole, my favorite is the phone booth followed by the larger boat shot --
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, I really like the second image and the phone booth.

Nicely done.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys, I am glad you enjoyed this low-tech incursion in the realm of Mighty Digital MF

More images here: Scotland
    Vieri Bottazzini
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Holga photos are very nice. You won't be able to blur the edges as effectively with your new CFV-39..
    H3DII-31, 5DII, M8, NEX-3 and Camera collection
    http://seyhun.com
    Facebook Page

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by vieri View Post
    Thank you guys, I am glad you enjoyed this low-tech incursion in the realm of Mighty Digital MF

More images here: Scotland
    Ahhh, but your so called low tech has many subtle and lovely qualities that no DB can compete with! Nice series Vieri.

Post Thanks / Like

content beats gear, hands down.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work, Vieri! Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

V. cool Vieri. Makes me want to punch a hole in the body cap on my Phamiya and makes some really high definition pinhole shots !

;-)

Hope you enjoy the CVF39

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s.agar View Post
    Holga photos are very nice. You won't be able to blur the edges as effectively with your new CFV-39..
    Indeed - nothing works like a plastic piece of glass, so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Ahhh, but your so called low tech has many subtle and lovely qualities that no DB can compete with! Nice series Vieri.
    Thank you! Each tool has a different place & a different job...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    content beats gear, hands down.
    Thanks Geoff!

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyGibson View Post
    Very nice work, Vieri! Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you Bradley!

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    V. cool Vieri. Makes me want to punch a hole in the body cap on my Phamiya and makes some really high definition pinhole shots !

;-)

Hope you enjoy the CVF39

Tim
    Hello Tim, long time no hear - how are you doing? Thank you for your message, I actually thought of getting some of these pinhole-camera-body-caps for my Nikons etc, but at the end the siren call of the plasticy-crappy Holgas was difficult to resist

By the way, circumstances out of my control seem to be preventing me to get the CVF39 after all - I will have to make do with a Phamiya instead... I guess the P45+ will do just fine
    Vieri Bottazzini

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

;-)

Hope you enjoy the CVF39

Tim
    Don't laugh Doug at Capture Integration does it all the time
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Sitting here making a futile attempt to see which image I like the most ... the cliff shot no the phone booth - no the castle, no the...what the heck guess I like the entire series!

Good work

Don

There's a lot to be said about low tech
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vieri View Post

Hello Tim, long time no hear - how are you doing? Thank you for your message, I actually thought of getting some of these pinhole-camera-body-caps for my Nikons etc, but at the end the siren call of the plasticy-crappy Holgas was difficult to resist

By the way, circumstances out of my control seem to be preventing me to get the CVF39 after all - I will have to make do with a Phamiya instead... I guess the P45+ will do just fine
    Well, guess who is selling a Phamiya III with P45+, 80D lens, 150 3.5 MF lens, 28D lens, Hartblei Super Rotator, Cambo WRS1000 with Schneider 35XL and associated kit?

But I'm keeping the cube. For sure.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You are also selling the Cambo and back?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    You are also selling the Cambo and back?
    Sort of Carsten... to clarify I am 80% decided to flog the lot, but at the moment I'm in Cornwall and most of the gear (Cambo and back are with me) are in Sussex so I can't get to them to get an advert together or ship them to a purchaser for a week or two. Which seems like good final deciding time! But I am initially hoping to sell the whole lot together...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I thought you liked that back and tech camera. So, are you back to the Leica fold? M or S?
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Hmm, I thought you liked that back and tech camera. So, are you back to the Leica fold? M or S?
    That's why I'm humming and haa-ing: can't quite decide whether to go with my gut or my brain. Gut says, 'this gear has given you so much irritation and failed shots over the last year that it's time to call it quits and look at a combined M/S solution, trading in everything else you own' and brain says 'are you kidding!? You'll lose a fortune and you just about have all this stuff figured out now!'

Grrr. I am weak, foolish and lazy!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I'm humming and haa-ing: can't quite decide whether to go with my gut or my brain. Gut says, 'this gear has given you so much irritation and failed shots over the last year that it's time to call it quits and look at a combined M/S solution, trading in everything else you own' and brain says 'are you kidding!? You'll lose a fortune and you just about have all this stuff figured out now!'

Tashley,
    I jump from gear to gear as well but I think with such an investment one should really to be totally sure to master the equipment and to be sure that it does not work before selling.
    The inter forums make as lust for gear - I think we really have to ask ourselves what we want to use it for and what the other gear would give us.
    In case of the S2 vs your back you get a smaller sensor, less lens options, probably not as good wide options as your tech camera.
    You might gain a more robust camera with slightly better handling, and maybe some few (expensive) lenses which might be of excellent optical quality.
    I would definatly wait until we see what the S2 really delievers and how it works.
    Cheers, Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And NUTS. I would not do anything until it is out and proven. I like the S2 but it is not a buy right now until it is out for a month or two and see where it stands. For me it is next year to even consider it, too much risk when you have something that already is getting it done.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim,

You should go with your gut, jump to a full Leica kit and like right now without hesitation... You have only expressed disappointment, hatred and disdain for your Phase/Mamiya system and IMO life is too short to drink bad wine. Or in this case, put up with equipment that does not generate results that satisfy you.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was using reverse psychology.

Post Thanks / Like

We'll see... part of this will depend on what I can realise for the Phase gear...

A point of clarification: I think I've expressed a lot of frustration with the setup but I do also think that in many ways it is very fine. I know pretty well what the technical limitations are so it is now clear to me why the Phase kit can't do certain things (why there's no live view, why tethered shooting is so underwhelming, etc etc etc) but I don't doubt that for pure IQ, regardless of inconvenience, it's the amongst the very best there is. It's just clear to me, now, that I will never like the way it works even if I learn to get the best from it. And I need to like my tools.

That said I do enjoy the process of using the Cambo setup. The fact that there's no way of seeing what I'm going to get accurately, or of focussing other than by distance estimation, hasn't ruined that pleasure for me.

Hmmm. Haaaa....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting I love tethered with C1 myself. Used it all day yesterday and clients love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That said I do enjoy the process of using the Cambo setup. The fact that there's no way of seeing what I'm going to get accurately, or of focussing other than by distance estimation, hasn't ruined that pleasure for me.
    Get a cheap netbook with a FW400 port, tether to it, take a frame, review the image, adjust as needed, take another frame to check, adjust if necessary, wait for your light and take the keeper, keep it and toss the test shots in the trash. And then remind yourself we never had it that good with large format and film.

OTOH, if you cannot focus your camera well untethered and/or if live-view is so important to you, then maybe you'd be happier with an autoeverything DSLR with live-view?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bud we never had it that good with Polaroid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

it all depends on what people like in the experience of using their gear. I have a lot of sympathy for tashley's view - whilst the IQ is there in MFD systems - there is a lot of 'hassle' factor in getting it - relative to smaller formats.

Jack's comment re - we never had it so good with LF film is spot on. yes MFD is 'better' than LF film - but is the workflow 'better' than say 35mm?

Two different mindsets and comparison points here. Me? Well I am over MFD for my purposes - except in artec or Alpa guise. The MFD version of SLR camerta systems are just nowhere near as user friendly as 35m rangefinder or SLR.

Sadly the resale value of this stuff is now maybe 50 cents in the dollar - on a good day. So I will hang on to it all as museum works - laughing at my gear head enthusiasm - which is now cured. Hopefully replaced by a more important thing - using stuff that works for me and making photographs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post

Jack's comment re - we never had it so good with LF film is spot on. yes MFD is 'better' than LF film - but is the workflow 'better' than say 35mm?
    That was kind of my point Pete: Large format workflow has *NEVER* been easier than using smaller formats; we've always had to make concessions on convenience to get the best image quality, so we're right where we always have been. Maybe I am being harsh, but IMO if you want simplicity and convenience, shoot with an auto-everything DSLR; if you want the best IQ you can get, you need to learn to live and work with the tools that will deliver it.

My .02,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Get a cheap netbook with a FW400 port, tether to it, take a frame, review the image, adjust as needed, take another frame to check, adjust if necessary, wait for your light and take the keeper, keep it and toss the test shots in the trash. And then remind yourself we never had it that good with large format and film.

OTOH, if you cannot focus your camera well untethered and/or if live-view is so important to you, then maybe you'd be happier with an autoeverything DSLR with live-view?
    Yup, all good suggestions Jack and I do indeed have a 5DII for certain kinds of work - as I believe do you? Though I very rarely use it with 'auto-everything'. In general I prefer it with manually focussed R glass.

It's not really about not being able to focus the camera untethered on the Phamiya - usually in I'm quite good at that, so I only need to shoot tethered when trying to focus on the stamen rather than the petal, for example. It's more to do with wanting closer control over focus in the field with the Cambo. Of course I could put a ground glass accessory on but that means exposing the sensor to dust for every new composition.

Nope. I hold by my original contention. Whether I use my current generation Unibody Macbook Pro or my RAM'd up Mac Pro desktop machine, tethered shooting is a cludge. And in any event I was only using tethered shooting as an example of the disconnect between the marketing blurb and the reality of using the system.

As you wisely observe, to get the extra distance (quality) one has to go the extra mile (effort). But the preference for doing so without leg irons is what is making me consider the S2.

It will be very interesting to see if it really does offer a better mix of MF format quality with DSLR-style ergonomics. If so, I will almost certainly make the switch. I am sure I won't be alone.

Best

T

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yup, all good suggestions Jack and I do indeed have a 5DII for certain kinds of work - as I believe do you?
    Mine is a 1Ds3, but absolutely -- the MF DB is *NOT* ideal for all situations I photograph, so I have a DSLR...

It's not really about not being able to focus the camera untethered on the Phamiya - usually in I'm quite good at that, so I only need to shoot tethered when trying to focus on the stamen rather than the petal, for example. It's more to do with wanting closer control over focus in the field with the Cambo. Of course I could put a ground glass accessory on but that means exposing the sensor to dust for every new composition.
    Good sliding backs leave the sensor covered when composing on the GG so you can toss this little complaint aside...

Nope. I hold by my original contention. Whether I use my current generation Unibody Macbook Pro or my RAM'd up Mac Pro desktop machine, tethered shooting is a cludge. And in any event I was only using tethered shooting as an example of the disconnect between the marketing blurb and the reality of using the system.
    Fine, but you aint ever going to get usable un-tethered live-view from a CCD sensor regardless of who builds it, so no use complaining it doesn't exist on current backs. You'll have to wait for the first CMOS MF back before that becomes a reality feature.

As you wisely observe, to get the extra distance (quality) one has to go the extra mile (effort). But the preference for doing so without leg irons is what is making me consider the S2.
    Then by all means get it! But that will leave you up shyte creek when you want to use a tech camera, no?

And FWIW, I personally don't see our present situation as leg irons. I rather see it as simply a more complex tool requiring a bit more facility than shooting with a CMOS DSLR...

Cheers,
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've stayed out of this for several reasons but figured what the heck...

I completely stopped using a DSLR shortly after making the move to MF for my landscape work keeping the DSLR for those occasions where I needed faster focus and burst shutters such as wildlife. My progression through MF has taken me through the Mamiya and Phase AFD bodies and associated lens to the Cambo WRS kit I currently use.

I noticed that I slowed down as I moved through the various systems to where I am today. I have to say that I personally find using the Cambo a real joy to use. Is it clunky? Yes. Is it slow? Yes. Does it get me what I want? Oh hell yes? Do I feel that I have leg irons on by using this kit? Nope - no way.

I do not feel I need live preview nor I have a need to shoot tethered - but that's me...

I don't use a viewfinder (which has already been discussed previously) however I do have and occasionally use a groundglass. My "system" of image might not be "perfect" however it works for me and that's what matters in the end. Your shooting style must fit what/how you shoot.

Does shooting a technical camera slow you down? Yes. However I personally feel the slowness is a good thing.

This last trip we were on took us to the Arizona Strip. We drove out on this "road" for 40 miles and found 3 spots that either overlooked the Colorado River or the Grand Canyon or both. It took us over 5 hours to do the round-trip drive which does not include shooting time. I took maybe a total of 8 images with the Cambo during this time.

I also used the 1DS II in an attempt to capture IR (pre-conversion using a filter). This process was in many ways just as slow as using MF as I had to remove the IR filter before every shot to properly compose and focus the replace the filter and shoot.

No matter what or how you shoot MF it's just slower than shooting a DSLR while at the same time it's much faster than shooting LF. Large format isn't for everyone just as medium format isn't for everyone while at the same time 35mm DSLR seems to be a fit for most people. I shoot with 3 different cameras, G10 for mainly blog snapshot images; 1DsII for color IR and lightning; and of course the Cambo WRS1000/P45+ combo for all the rest. Each tool has a specific purpose and each fills it.

There's been a heck of a lot written on this within the past couple days/weeks part is due to the expected release of the next new wonder camera that promises to do everything but print the image (written tongue in cheek) and I think that has people thinking they need the next newest biggest baddest camera system. Reminds me of computers 10 years ago when new releases were offered on a weekly basis and you could never keep up.

I've had my say and will now go back to work on my images.

Tim - good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Don

It also seems a shame to have taken this so off the original topic......
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW, I think M.R. sums it up very well in this recent article on wants, needs and affords: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...d-afford.shtml
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, that was a good article...

@ Jack, I don't think we disagree really, just a difference of emphasis. And you're right about the tech camera shyte creek, which is why I'm thinking twice and was recently asking about possible dates for a new Phamiya body.

@ Don out of interest which GG do you use? From memory it's the interchangeable: I don't think Cambo make a slider, which is what I'd love for the reason Jack highlights. I tried the Silvestri FlexCam a while back but after sliding, it seemed to me that the back didn't register perfectly and so the focus was always off. A good sliding back would be a treat. If I'm right in my memory of your setup, do you get any problems wiht dust on the sensor? BTW I have been using the P45+/Cambo as a point and shoot for the last few days: when it's sunny, I use F16 and 1/125th at ISO 100 or thereabouts and focus at 5 metres, use the bubbles on the Cambo and bang away. It's really, really fun!

T

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You already know this, so just for the record: the Sinar arTec solves this.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

@ Don out of interest which GG do you use? From memory it's the interchangeable: I don't think Cambo make a slider, which is what I'd love for the reason Jack highlights. I tried the Silvestri FlexCam a while back but after sliding, it seemed to me that the back didn't register perfectly and so the focus was always off. A good sliding back would be a treat. If I'm right in my memory of your setup, do you get any problems wiht dust on the sensor? BTW I have been using the P45+/Cambo as a point and shoot for the last few days: when it's sunny, I use F16 and 1/125th at ISO 100 or thereabouts and focus at 5 metres, use the bubbles on the Cambo and bang away. It's really, really fun!

T
    Hi Tim - I have the WDS-619 groundglass and WDS616 focusing hood.

I'm in totally agreement with you on how nice it would be to have a slider for the WRS only I just never see it coming to pass for several reasons mainly it would really screw up the rear shifting functions as they are currently configured.

I also use the short barrel Schneider 120mm lens which means every time I use it I need to remove the back and place the spacer on then remount the back; which depending on the conditions can be a royal PIA however it is a good lens.

I haven't encountered dust problems with the sensor; I always make sure I have it pointing down and I carry a blow bulb that I'll use just to be sure. (As a side note regarding dust and dirt - I've had much more trouble with the IF filter on my DSLR which will soon be eliminated.)

I've tried the doing the same thing with my Cambo\P45+ combo - that is turning it into the worlds most expensive point -n-shoot and totally agree about the fun factor.

I've sold all my Mamiya lenses and Phase AFD and shoot strictly with the Cambo\P45+ for all my landscape work. I'll be shortly bringing back the 1DsII for color IR work and have a G10 for snapshots; that's what I'm hauling around when I go out - I can see me not using or selling (in time) everything but the Cambo. However that's just my 2 worth.

Don

There's no doubt in my mind that there's something better out there but at what price? I currently have a kit that in many ways meets or exceeds my needs for a very reasonable cost both in time and money and for these reasons I'm sold on the WRS. Again what works for one will not necessarily work for another.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

@ Jack, I don't think we disagree really, just a difference of emphasis. And you're right about the tech camera shyte creek, which is why I'm thinking twice and was recently asking about possible dates for a new Phamiya body.
    On disagreement, I think at the very least we have differing levels of expectation from our gear

Let me clarify a few things. I do not hate my Mamiya body as you infer you do, so I think we disagree on that. No it isn't perfect, but I can get the job done with it and pretty darn easily. And to date, I've not seen or used any other MF digital platform I like better overall. Next, I am not disappointed that my Phase back does not have live view -- yes live view would be a welcome feature, but I happen to know it is a limitation of un-tethered CCD sensors and I also know that I do not like the look CMOS sensors deliver when compared to CCD. So peaking for myself, I am grateful for what I have and what it can do rather than upset about its shortcomings and the things it cannot do.

Cheers,
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I share the same feelings as Jack however I don't really care that my P45+ doesn't have live view. I for one don't want to give up the IQ I get with my current sensor; if I wanted to use live view I'd move back(wards) to the 1Ds III.

Shooting medium format isn't easy especially when you add the effort of a technical camera - but look at the rewards.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    On disagreement, I think at the very least we have differing levels of expectation from our gear

Let me clarify a few things. I do not hate my Mamiya body as you infer you do, so I think we disagree on that. No it isn't perfect, but I can get the job done with it and pretty darn easily. And to date, I've not seen or used any other MF digital platform I like better overall. Next, I am not disappointed that my Phase back does not have live view -- yes live view would be a welcome feature, but I happen to know it is a limitation of un-tethered CCD sensors and I also know that I do not like the look CMOS sensors deliver when compared to CCD. So peaking for myself, I am grateful for what I have and what it can do rather than upset about its shortcomings and the things it cannot do.

Cheers,
    In which case you are a lucky man as well as a wise one my friend!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Creek View Post
    I share the same feelings as Jack however I don't really care that my P45+ doesn't have live view. I for one don't want to give up the IQ I get with my current sensor; if I wanted to use live view I'd move back(wards) to the 1Ds III.

Shooting medium format isn't easy especially when you add the effort of a technical camera - but look at the rewards.

Don
    You're right about the rewards!

I have found using movements fairly infrequently so if the S2 lives up to the hype it might well be a better tool for my needs but, let's wait and see. The Cambo is pretty darned good as we both agree!

Thanks for the answer Don.

Tim

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tim

No movements? Must be the difference in our locations as I routinely use movements with all my lenses (except the 24).

You are most welcome! Just promise to let me know in advance if you actually decide to rid yourself of that Cambo gear so I have pick thought it...

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In which case you are a lucky man as well as a wise one my friend!
    Actually, I think it's just some pragmatism that comes with age!

Cheers mate,
    Jack