The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica - some great news on 9th September 2009

Paratom

I like this thinking. Actually folks let's think about this in terms of need . Question becomes this for 34k you can get at 37mpx S2 with standard lens or for a 18mpx M9 with a 50 lux for 10k. The question is this is it worth the 24k difference to to have double the MPX and the real question is this do you really need more than 18mpx CCD no AA filter with the famed M glass. :talk028:
Guy,
I had the same thoughts.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well the reality is what is the final result you are trying to achieve even though the M and S are vastly different in shooting style but someone maybe a huge M fan this does make some sense. 18 or 21 mpx CCD and Non AA filter will most likely kill a D3x ( flame On)
So the reality is this if your doing the most 16x20 prints how much more do you need. Now obviously there will be more detail in the MF comparison to that but how much will you see. It really is so much more than just MPX which frankly is the worst gauge around if you ask me. Just my test of the 31,39,40 mpx backs there is not a worldly difference. Just something to chew on

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well the reality is what is the final result you are trying to achieve even though the M and S are vastly different in shooting style but someone maybe a huge M fan this does make some sense. 18 or 21 mpx CCD and Non AA filter will most likely kill a D3x ( flame On)
So the reality is this if your doing the most 16x20 prints how much more do you need. Now obviously there will be more detail in the MF comparison to that but how much will you see. It really is so much more than just MPX which frankly is the worst gauge around if you ask me. Just my test of the 31,39,40 mpx backs there is not a worldly difference. Just something to chew on
As I have seen in praxis, from a 40MP file I easily can print up to 60X80 without issues in quality. And this is independent if I have a scanned file or a MFDB file.

Having said that, I make a number of pano landscape shots. Now if I stitch say 5 images from an M9 FF with 20MP each in portrait format this would result in around 100MP minus overlap which results in say 60-80MP. I think this is MORE than enough. And equipment would be much lighter, cheaper and smaller :thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

The one issue though with regards to this and you have to be careful is besides the detail let's not forget tonal range , DR and things of this nature which the MF back or S2 will be better at. There is a trade off

Guy Mancuso

Plus with a M system you have lens limits and such. Besides RF shooting is NOT for everyone. Us old farts have a tough time focusing them. LOL

bensonga

Plus with a M system you have lens limits and such. Besides RF shooting is NOT for everyone. Us old farts have a tough time focusing them. LOL
Agreed. Maybe 9/9/09 is to announce that the R10 is back in the mix, due to overwhelming demand from the 50+ crowd with fading eyesight. :)

Gary

jlm

Workshop Member
one thing Leica is good at is keeping the dogs slathering from one tid-bit to the next. first hooked me when the digilux 2 came out, but now I have been weened

Double Negative

Not Available
Introducing... The new... Improved... D-LUX 5!

:D

I'm not quite an "old fart" (but sometimes I feel like one) and still shoot RF, but I have to agree Guy, they're not for everyone. I love my RFs, but honestly, I'll take an SLR for viewing any day. I like to see exactly what I'm getting. And there's nothing short of "amazing" to describe peepin' a Hassy screen. Well, except for maybe LF ground glass...

fotografz

This is my thinking as well, actually if they give me a FF M9, then with my more or less complete selection of M glass I would be pretty much ok.

Especially if I think about stitching and merging in PS. Think that should solve many of my landscape needs.

So I have some hope :thumbs: and it would be much cheaper than any digital MF solution :cool:
Yeah, but it'll come with Lightroom only, so we can count you out for the M9 ...;)

Stuart Richardson

It is funny how it works differently for different people. I have difficulty focusing SLR's -- there is too much grey area! I keep going past perfect on either side, trying to get it right. RF's just snap into perfect focus for me. In particular, I find them much easier in low light. But anyway, thanks for the tip Peter. It sounds like it is on its way. I am just very excited to see what form it takes.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
It's at least a chamber of gluttony as they sell by the pound and it's real easy when they put it on the cutting block to over estimate. I'm really bad when it comes to the prime rib....

M

Mort54

18 or 21 mpx CCD and Non AA filter will most likely kill a D3x ( flame On)
No flame, but suggesting an M9 would have any appreciable effect on the D3x in the market place (or the 1DsIII in the market place, for that matter) is not a very realistic assessment. Given the investment in lenses most D3X owners have, plus the availability of AF and more capable metering with the D3X, speed of operation, etc, I don't think switching would cross many D3X user's minds (it certainly wouldn't cross mine). Also, the D3X already has a fairly weak AA filter, and there's always Max Max if you want to get rid of the AA entirely. Even at the incredibly high pricing of the D3X, and even with a Max Max job, I suspect the D3X will still be cheaper than an M9 (and way less costly if you count the cost of switching lens systems). And of course, there's the D700X that's almost certainly on the near horizon.

Leica's rangefinder glory days are behind them, at least as far as mass sales. An M9 will probably (hopefully) be a spectacular camera, and the lenses are of course legendary, but all that won't elevate it out of the niche category rangefinders are in.

Guy Mancuso

Has to do with IQ , not talking about anything else . Certainly the D3X has it's place in the market and has a better loins share of usability. 6 mpx difference means absolute nothing but the mass marketing on mpx. has really screwed buyers into thinking there is. The D3x still has a screen door on the sensor and no getting around that except removing it and keeping up with M glass no one in 35mm comes close. Nikon finally has a couple really good lenses no question about that but I look forward to seeing a real test on this. I will put my money no doubt on the Leica and even uprezed to match the mpx of the Nikon.

I'll stick with my clunky MF stuff and just along with them, so glad i am out of this war zone. LOL

I'm off for the evening have fun everyone. Time for cocktails

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi John:

If you want the bet, here's how we can do it: I'll cover your (one) steak dinner at your steakhouse of choice in Texas up to $100 total including salad, sides, cocktails and desert; and you agree to cover the exact same for me at my steakhouse (Cupertino, CA) for up to $100. Fair enough? If you agree, we have a bet!

Again, the bet is that at least an M9 is officially announced on 9-9-09 -- there may be additional announcements, but this is the only one we're betting on...

Jack

fotografz

Hi John:

If you want the bet, here's how we can do it: I'll cover your (one) steak dinner at your steakhouse of choice in Texas up to $100 total including salad, sides, cocktails and desert; and you agree to cover the exact same for me at my steakhouse (Cupertino, CA) for up to $100. Fair enough? If you agree, we have a bet!

Again, the bet is that at least an M9 is officially announced on 9-9-09 -- there may be additional announcements, but this is the only one we're betting on...

Jack
Don't take that bet John. I just spoke to my informant :cool: You'll be out $100.