The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica - some great news on 9th September 2009

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I just talked to the Leica shop in Vienna

https://www.leicashop.com/index.php?lang=en

which currently I would call "the Leica representation in Austria" and asked for news about the S2.

They just invited me to an event in their shop in Vienna on 9th September at 3PM but did not mention any details. Asking what would be the great news, they just told me that they needed to kill me if I knew from them :)

Asking about M9 they of course gave the same answer .....

So obviously something is boiling - maybe "just" the intro of the S System, or maybe also a new M9 ????

Anybody any other hints?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Seems to be the word that is out. The S2 is already announced and I already know the release date and it is not this date. Don't ask or I would have to hurt you . LOL

Must be the rumored M9 or maybe just maybe something else

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Seems to be the word that is out. The S2 is already announced and I already know the release date and it is not this date. Don't ask or I would have to hurt you . LOL

Must be the rumored M9 or maybe just maybe something else
So lets hope the M9 :thumbs:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Or maybe a new goldfish-skinned and gold plated version of the S2.
More expenseive still, from the imaginary spokesperson's mouth "Do you know how many of those rare goldfish it takes to cover this camera, and do you have any idea how hard they are to catch without bruising them?"

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
If this is true then I have to take back everything I thought about Leica's capacity/capability. I might even have to revise my thinking on their marketing approach. I mean after years of building up suspense over the S2 and then completely drowning any hopes I had of owning one by pricing it as they did, they slip in a brand-new M9 (which would have been worth a similar marketing build-up all by itself) for a mere $8k. Which, compared to the S2's price, seems pretty reasonable.

In what might be a fiendishly clever plot, they have managed to manipulate the sales of the M9 to all those S2 wannabe owners like me. Sort of a reverse bait-and-switch. It's possible that I am more excited by the M9 than I thought I was for the S2. Heck, if I buy one, I'll be saving almost $15k on the body alone!

I'm doomed. ;)

stephengilbert

Tim,

You've figured them out: there is no S2, it's just a stalking horse to make you say "Wow, only ten thousand dollars, that's a bargain" when they announce the M9.

Steve

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If this is true then I have to take back everything I thought about Leica's capacity/capability. I might even have to revise my thinking on their marketing approach. I mean after years of building up suspense over the S2 and then completely drowning any hopes I had of owning one by pricing it as they did, they slip in a brand-new M9 (which would have been worth a similar marketing build-up all by itself) for a mere $8k. Which, compared to the S2's price, seems pretty reasonable.

In what might be a fiendishly clever plot, they have managed to manipulate the sales of the M9 to all those S2 wannabe owners like me. Sort of a reverse bait-and-switch. It's possible that I am more excited by the M9 than I thought I was for the S2. Heck, if I buy one, I'll be saving almost $15k on the body alone!

I'm doomed. ;)
I like this thinking. Actually folks let's think about this in terms of need . Question becomes this for 34k you can get at 37mpx S2 with standard lens or for a 18mpx M9 with a 50 lux for 10k. The question is this is it worth the 24k difference to to have double the MPX and the real question is this do you really need more than 18mpx CCD no AA filter with the famed M glass. :talk028:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I like this thinking. Actually folks let's think about this in terms of need . Question becomes this for 34k you can get at 37mpx S2 with standard lens or for a 18mpx M9 with a 50 lux for 10k. The question is this is it worth the 24k difference to to have double the MPX and the real question is this do you really need more than 18mpx CCD no AA filter with the famed M glass. :talk028:
This is my thinking as well, actually if they give me a FF M9, then with my more or less complete selection of M glass I would be pretty much ok.

Especially if I think about stitching and merging in PS. Think that should solve many of my landscape needs.

So I have some hope :thumbs: and it would be much cheaper than any digital MF solution :cool:

Double Negative

Not Available
Why Eastern US time as the reference time zone?
-bob
Much like in poetry, "it was the only thing that would rhyme." ;)

The "M9 on 09/09/2009" part is the "word on the street" - I don't know about the time. I agree with your sense of suspicion that it would be German time if anything. Maybe it's because of PMA Canada Exposition 2009?

thomas

Actually when combining a tech cam with a 30MP back this should do for most situations and come with a pretty good price :cool:
no. As long as you are referring to a P30 it's not the best choice for use on a tech camera due to the microlenses.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
no. As long as you are referring to a P30 it's not the best choice for use on a tech camera due to the microlenses.
True, forgot this fact.

What I meant is that actually 30MP would be enough, so lets go for the P45+ or P40+ and a tech cam - I think still a pretty "cheap" solution ;)

steflaurent974

You're right Guy, this IS the real question...and for me the answer is I can not justify the 34K but I'd love to have this CCD no AA Full Frame camera to use with several lens I dalready own ...(obviously the systems are soooo different, it all depends on one needs).