The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica - some great news on 9th September 2009

fotografz

No flame, but suggesting an M9 would have any appreciable effect on the D3x in the market place (or the 1DsIII in the market place, for that matter) is not a very realistic assessment. Given the investment in lenses most D3X owners have, plus the availability of AF and more capable metering with the D3X, speed of operation, etc, I don't think switching would cross many D3X user's minds (it certainly wouldn't cross mine). Also, the D3X already has a fairly weak AA filter, and there's always Max Max if you want to get rid of the AA entirely. Even at the incredibly high pricing of the D3X, and even with a Max Max job, I suspect the D3X will still be cheaper than an M9 (and way less costly if you count the cost of switching lens systems). And of course, there's the D700X that's almost certainly on the near horizon.

Leica's rangefinder glory days are behind them, at least as far as mass sales. An M9 will probably (hopefully) be a spectacular camera, and the lenses are of course legendary, but all that won't elevate it out of the niche category rangefinders are in.
I tend to agree. I don't get this obsession with one solution to all photo needs. It seems a particularly hot topic on this forum. I was just in a similar debate on the subject.

Personally I don't think of a rangefinder as a replacement for a DSLR, or the other way around.

Maybe it's the price of digital gear that causes this?

I just this minute shot some stuff of my 4lb Chihuahua out in the yard frolicking with a Doe and her Fawn using an AF 70-200 zoom ... I could have grabbed the M8, but who would do that? ... anymore than I'd particurally want to lug the DSLR on a trip NYC for some street work.

Sorry, I don't get it. I guess I'm out of the loop :confused:

-Marc

etrigan63

"Horses for courses" as the old saying goes Marc. Right tool for the right job. I wouldn't use a Leica M at a sporting event (you could, but only if you are masochistic or trying to prove a point) or an MFDB system as a street camera (not unless I am going for lots of startled looks). Right tool for the right job. I am slowly making my way back to M-digital. My D700 is awesome for what I use it for (stagecraft), but I miss my M8 and wish to return to the fold.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Sorry, I don't get it. I guess I'm out of the loop :confused:

-Marc
Marc,

Your about as out of the loop as a fox counting eggs in the hen house....

I haven't seen any example of a camera that you have not put to great use in the past five years....film to Contax N1 on...and I agree that one platform cannot meet all photographic needs. Should one choose a single camera they must by default ignore many shots that would be captured with those cameras that they have ignored.

As an example, here in Texas if you want any nature/animal photos you had better have a long lens...rangefinder out. Most rancher/farmers take a very low view of folks jumping fences and spooking their herds. And again pointing a 70-200mm lens at folks on the street can elicite a somewhat less that friendly response ( even from one's own family!).

However the M9 will get my complete attention if Leica has done their due diligence in design and execution...it will sit well next to my M8. Leica gets major kudos for keeping this so quiet...it will defuse the mild disappointment that will be voiced on the S2 arrival from the Leica faithful.

Bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi John:

If you want the bet, here's how we can do it:

Jack
I dont know Jack...I have been to the Hard Eight and it rivals anything in California...maybe Harris Ranch would be a parallel. Almost worth a visit.

Perhaps you and Guy can help John can set up a venue for a workshop in the Big Bend parks with side trips to Austin/Hill country for wildflowers with a side trip to the great steak bbq sites in Texas.

Bob

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I never could think of a RF as a replacement for a DSLR and as DSLR I have my wonderful A900 plus Zeiss glass - but just for what I photograph in the moment mainly, which is landscape and pretty static - a FF RF like hopefully a M9 would do a great job. Especially in combination with all the M glass I own :thumbup:

A

Alexander Bauer

if M9 is FF "no hiccups" with whatever pixels this will finally explain what/who will pay for the S2/Toys R us experiment :p

WELCOME M9 :thumbs:

A

Alexander Bauer

If it's not should I just send you receipt for the steak dinner I'll have that night? If it's true you'll come to Dublin and I'll take you to the Hard Eight for their rib eye or sirloin.

Hard Eight meat pit.

very nice John but I see here more Calories than pixels :)

where is this place/is this hard eight?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Hi John:

If you want the bet, here's how we can do it: I'll cover your (one) steak dinner at your steakhouse of choice in Texas up to $100 total including salad, sides, cocktails and desert; and you agree to cover the exact same for me at my steakhouse (Cupertino, CA) for up to $100. Fair enough? If you agree, we have a bet!

Again, the bet is that at least an M9 is officially announced on 9-9-09 -- there may be additional announcements, but this is the only one we're betting on...

Jack
OK, Jack you are on. Let all here witness this. Either way this comes out I win. :thumbs:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Exactly and either way I will find a way to Hard Eight my cardiologist might disagree but screw him that looks delicious

Guy Mancuso

Somehow i need to get a steak dinner out of this deal. BTW my PM box should be filled with all the secrets goings on.:D

TimWright

I think from news of the dealer meeting in NY over the weekend the only thing we will hear on the 9th are crickets chirping.:(

Terry

Perhaps with all of the news of Dealers taking pre-orders etc, Leica simply told their dealers to shut up and stop talking.

Guy Mancuso

As they should. Not good business for dealers to be taking pre-orders on non existent gear in any system. Announced gear I can see but company secrets and unannounced stuff I think it is just bad business practice. Maybe I'm crazy but I think it makes the mother ship look bad and things may never get announced in the end.