The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phamiya 655 IV?

D

ddk

Lets face it, Mamiya has to design a new body from ground up to address all the issues mentioned here, no amount of patch/band-aid fixes will take care of everything. I wonder if Mamiya being one of the only two remaining mf manufacturers, with a large market share and user base has any real motivation to invest in a new system only to address personal peeves anytime soon.

I'm not saying that you don't have valid gripes, in fact I agree with all your points, and specially this comment; "there are some touchy-feely factors and some practical reality factors that affect how we use our gear, and on both fronts the current 645 body fails badly" and that's why I went with Contax, just don't see enough wrong with the 645 as a system for Mamiya to be worried.

IMO the S2 wont be cutting much into Phamiya's market, its a different kind of camera, and if successful, it will create a new class of dslr, then we might see a new Phamiya.

carstenw

I am very fond of my Contax, but I am not sure if it is really such an improvement on the Mamiya, is it? Some aspects are a bit better, but the camera is a bit older too... I have not tried the newest Mamiya, so I cannot judge that. One thing is for sure though: the lenses are superior for tactility. Zeiss with rubber focusrings and all that.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actually Carsten, if you compare to the newer Mamiya lenses, the ones with AF clutches, then the tactile differences become muddled; the new Mamiya glass is really nice to manually focus. At least in *my* humble opinion -- and I used to own and shoot C645's...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I love the D lenses to work with actually. I find focusing and the construction very nice and solidly built. The 28mm and 150 2.8 are solid trucks and I love the 300mm. The 80 is the lightest lens but the 45mm D also is nice and solid . i have no qualms on the glass or there functionality . I love the AF clutches to turn on and off on all 5 of my lenses. I did not like the older 55mm lens because it had no clutch. I have to have the AF clutch on these type of lenses and all mine have it now

I know sounds pathetic I am not looking for the end of the rainbow in gear. Trust me there is none out there

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You just had to get that in there. I know misery loves company, so tell me how many lenses now do you have cover 80 and 150. LOL

thomas

I am very fond of my Contax, but I am not sure if it is really such an improvement on the Mamiya, is it?
probably it is not. But the whole thing feels much more like a "camera". Handling, grip, body design, sound, haptic feeling (body and lenses), weight, the changeable viewfinder... it is actually a camera. Though a conventional, dated camera (but there's nothing wrong with conventional cameras IMO). In comparision the Phase camera feels like a hollow oversized DSLR-style body but with much less capabilities than any current DSLR.
Matter of taste. I would not like to "touch" the Phamiya... (though I don't think that would change anything regarding my photographic results).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
...and speaking of the D series lenses, guys--- I just added one to my bag today in prep for Oregon

:D

tashley

Subscriber Member
Interesting Carlos, thank you. From that it seems that the main changes are digital only, the optional vertical grip and the ability to use leaf shutter lenses which, err, seem to have gone quiet... as does this new body!

From the picture though it looks as if there's no real change to the feel and fit. Maybe not worth waiting for though I will at least wait to see what Guy's researches come up with!

Christopher

Well it is quite because Phase one changed everything. You won't hear anything abut a new body or leaf shutter lenses until they SHIP. Like the P40+. New stuff will come, but won't be announced and than delayed three years ;-).

etrigan63

Precisely. I spoke to Doug Peterson about this and he said that Mamiya let that cat out of the bag just prior to PhaseOne's assimilation of Mamiya. Danish business practices are now in place there.