The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

looks like the Hy6 is no more....

carstenw

Well, BJP is often wrong. They don't say that Sinar has decided to shut down the Hy6, they just say that they "understand" that this is the case. It is hard to get vaguer than that without crossing into rumour and fiction.

The article also has factual errors, consistent with other BJP articles on the topic. F&H did not license the Hy6 to anyone. Jenoptik owns the rights, and will presumably pass them on to Sinar.

Let's wait until Sinar makes an announcement.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I said it then and I repeat it now: The biggest mistake Rollei made was not opening that body to the Phase backs. Stoopid logic and it screwed them...

LJL

Well, BJP is often wrong. They don't say that Sinar has decided to shut down the Hy6, they just say that they "understand" that this is the case. It is hard to get vaguer than that without crossing into rumour and fiction.

The article also has factual errors, consistent with other BJP articles on the topic. F&H did not license the Hy6 to anyone. Jenoptik owns the rights, and will presumably pass them on to Sinar.

Let's wait until Sinar makes an announcement.
Carsten, if you have more information that you are willing to publish about this matter, please do. Assuming the information is incorrect is your prerogative and opinion, much as your comment about Jenoptik "presumably pass them on to Sinar" over the rights for the Hy6. That is an even more vague and unproven statement. If Sinar has to buy its way out of the Jenoptik deal, and F&H is no longer building things like the Hy6, why would Sinar want to buy the rights to something that is no longer supported and for which they seem less interested and capable of supporting on their own? Sheesh. If the BJP is so wrong on this article, please bring it to their attention, as you are suggesting here, and also please back it up with some facts that show things differently.

LJ

carstenw

I have no intention of adding any more facts to my statements than the BJP do to theirs, but they have repeatedly overshot their mandate with inaccurate reporting, and is little more than a rag, IMO. Look back through their other articles on this topic, and you will see that they are constantly reporting the facts and then adding something a little extra, which is often plain wrong.

LJL

So it is your opinion that they are reporting incorrectly on this matter. That is fine. It is also your opinion that they are just a "rag" as you say. That's o.k. too, just want that to be clear, rather than your comments coming across as if you know more or more accurate information than is being published. If the BJP is repeatedly overshooting their mandate with inaccurate reporting, as you say, one would think they would have few readers and a ton of libel or other lawsuits to deal with also, or would never be taken seriously, and thus be out of business by now, unless one is just buying it for the pictures. Not trying to defend BJP, but just wanting to be clear on what is your opinion, versus what somebody else is willing to go on the record with through publication. If they are wrong (facts are incorrect), I would sort of expect some sort of correction or comment from Sinar on this. Anybody seen that? If, as you suggest, they report facts, but then embellish with a little extra (i.e., speculation), then let's try to separate facts from that speculation, and not just speculate more.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...."Truth is Where you Find It".....

LJ

carstenw

Yes, to be clear, it is my opinion, based on previous articles, that they report not only the facts, but also a little more, and they they sometimes err. It isn't really dramatic, not enough to sue probably, but it is enough to make them unreliable as a news source, IMO.

Anyway, Sinar will probably eventually make a press release about the Hy6. After all, the Hy6 carries their name.

D

David A

BJP has only been in print since 1854, online since 1997, not bad for an inaccurate and factually incorect rag.

Christopher

You don't really think Sinar will buy the rights from Jan.... Plz, they are selling nearly no cameras at all. I'm pretty sure that most were sold by Leaf. Sinar is certainly not spending all this money to get production back online to sell a few... they will shut down their MFDB business and focus on making cameras. They could be rich selling a Arctec with Phase one mount, well we will se, just my guess.

BradleyGibson

I said it then and I repeat it now: The biggest mistake Rollei made was not opening that body to the Phase backs. Stoopid logic and it screwed them...
Big time.

I said the same thing, repeatedly, and to the manufacturers too. But they were so weird about it, not talking about what was really happening.

I tried 'em anyway, but had it been with the Phase I'd already bought, this story would have been different--I'm sure if it.

Funny thing is that the rumor mill suggested that Leaf wanted Phase locked out of the platform in order for them to sign on. If true, oh, the irony...

carstenw

BJP has only been in print since 1854, online since 1997, not bad for an inaccurate and factually incorect rag.
:) The papers which are going the strongest around here are the rags, not the intellectually or politically enlightened papers. There is always a greater market for the rags.

LJL

:) The papers which are going the strongest around here are the rags, not the intellectually or politically enlightened papers. There is always a greater market for the rags.
Nice job of insulting the intelligence of all the forum members:wtf:

fotografz

It wasn't just locking out Phase Jack, you couldn't even put a month old Leaf 75s back on a Leaf Afi!

Every freaking Leaf owner was locked out. Obviously no Hasselblad back could be used, and no Phase back. All three of the major players with all the backs out there that were potentials for that fine camera were null-and-void.

That's beyond stupid IMHO.

Then there was the initial pricing.

Arjuna

I don't think that Carsten is insulting anyone. I don't know BJP well enough to have an opinion of it, but the referenced article states that Jenoptik is divesting itself of Sinar. This is not quite news, as it was announced about a month ago. The article then says: "BJP also understands that Sinar has taken the decision to drop the Hy6, ...", but, afaik, Sinar has made no announcement on the subject, so, I am with foto-z/Graham; until Sinar does reveal their plans, it is just conjecture based on personal biases.

LJL

Glad you feel that way. But to suggest that folks are not reading "the intellectually or politically enlightened papers", and also to NOT bother to try to "enlighten" with some facts from any of "those other papers" seems a bit cheeky. The BJP may not be top end journalism for many, but at least they are reporting some things that others are not. Sinar may not be happy with the suggested comments, especially if they have not worked out the details over how they are going to handle the divestiture......a management buyout was rumored elsewhere......but there is a lot of writing on the wall, and for all we know, BJP may have actually spoken with Sinar, but cannot quote them directly at this point, or at least have been asked not to. Things we do not yet know. I posted the link for folks interested in things to read and form their own thoughts, not to blast or defend BJP. Sinar may or may not make any formal announcement until it gets through its own disentanglement. The article merely states where things are today, versus what was rumored a month ago. The Jenoptic position is now clear. The Sinar position is not final yet, but there are fewer and fewer options seemingly open. That is what BJP is saying by "BJP also understands....." Is that real or rumor? They are reporting what they understand the situation to be. Good lord, this is not the Star or the Enquirer or some tabloid rag, as was intimated. They may get it wrong. If there is other credible info out there for folks to digest, why not post it and let folks read for themselves.

LJ

carstenw

That is what BJP is saying by "BJP also understands....." Is that real or rumor? They are reporting what they understand the situation to be.
I am not necessarily saying that it is not true, but the BJP saying that they "understand" something to be true is the same as saying that they don't know for sure, i.e. not-a-fact. They should stop adding these punchlines to their otherwise straight-forward reporting. They have often been inaccurate in the recent past.

S

Shelby Lewis

? How does commenting on the newspapers in Berlin have anything to do with all the forum members?
Hey Carsten... i think (and I speak for myself :)) that the statement "The papers which are going the strongest around here are the rags" was taken as meaning "around GetDPI" ... GetDPI being "here".

I don't think most of us read it that way, though.