Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: looks like the Hy6 is no more....

Post Thanks / Like

looks like the Hy6 is no more....

Ran across this in BJP. Looks like Sinar is going to go it alone for their other business and also drop the Hy6. Jenoptik also looks to follow its own path with respect to digital imaging. No idea what that means in the MF world at this point.

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/sho...ml?page=867835

LJ

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: looks like the Hy6 is no more....

Strike 3 their out. Shame
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, BJP is often wrong. They don't say that Sinar has decided to shut down the Hy6, they just say that they "understand" that this is the case. It is hard to get vaguer than that without crossing into rumour and fiction.

The article also has factual errors, consistent with other BJP articles on the topic. F&H did not license the Hy6 to anyone. Jenoptik owns the rights, and will presumably pass them on to Sinar.

Let's wait until Sinar makes an announcement.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I said it then and I repeat it now: The biggest mistake Rollei made was not opening that body to the Phase backs. Stoopid logic and it screwed them...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carstenw View Post
    Well, BJP is often wrong. They don't say that Sinar has decided to shut down the Hy6, they just say that they "understand" that this is the case. It is hard to get vaguer than that without crossing into rumour and fiction.

The article also has factual errors, consistent with other BJP articles on the topic. F&H did not license the Hy6 to anyone. Jenoptik owns the rights, and will presumably pass them on to Sinar.

Let's wait until Sinar makes an announcement.
    Carsten, if you have more information that you are willing to publish about this matter, please do. Assuming the information is incorrect is your prerogative and opinion, much as your comment about Jenoptik "presumably pass them on to Sinar" over the rights for the Hy6. That is an even more vague and unproven statement. If Sinar has to buy its way out of the Jenoptik deal, and F&H is no longer building things like the Hy6, why would Sinar want to buy the rights to something that is no longer supported and for which they seem less interested and capable of supporting on their own? Sheesh. If the BJP is so wrong on this article, please bring it to their attention, as you are suggesting here, and also please back it up with some facts that show things differently.

LJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no intention of adding any more facts to my statements than the BJP do to theirs, but they have repeatedly overshot their mandate with inaccurate reporting, and is little more than a rag, IMO. Look back through their other articles on this topic, and you will see that they are constantly reporting the facts and then adding something a little extra, which is often plain wrong.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

So it is your opinion that they are reporting incorrectly on this matter. That is fine. It is also your opinion that they are just a "rag" as you say. That's o.k. too, just want that to be clear, rather than your comments coming across as if you know more or more accurate information than is being published. If the BJP is repeatedly overshooting their mandate with inaccurate reporting, as you say, one would think they would have few readers and a ton of libel or other lawsuits to deal with also, or would never be taken seriously, and thus be out of business by now, unless one is just buying it for the pictures. Not trying to defend BJP, but just wanting to be clear on what is your opinion, versus what somebody else is willing to go on the record with through publication. If they are wrong (facts are incorrect), I would sort of expect some sort of correction or comment from Sinar on this. Anybody seen that? If, as you suggest, they report facts, but then embellish with a little extra (i.e., speculation), then let's try to separate facts from that speculation, and not just speculate more.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...."Truth is Where you Find It".....

LJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, to be clear, it is my opinion, based on previous articles, that they report not only the facts, but also a little more, and they they sometimes err. It isn't really dramatic, not enough to sue probably, but it is enough to make them unreliable as a news source, IMO.

Anyway, Sinar will probably eventually make a press release about the Hy6. After all, the Hy6 carries their name.
    Carsten - Website

David A

BJP has only been in print since 1854, online since 1997, not bad for an inaccurate and factually incorect rag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You don't really think Sinar will buy the rights from Jan.... Plz, they are selling nearly no cameras at all. I'm pretty sure that most were sold by Leaf. Sinar is certainly not spending all this money to get production back online to sell a few... they will shut down their MFDB business and focus on making cameras. They could be rich selling a Arctec with Phase one mount, well we will se, just my guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I said it then and I repeat it now: The biggest mistake Rollei made was not opening that body to the Phase backs. Stoopid logic and it screwed them...
    Big time.

I said the same thing, repeatedly, and to the manufacturers too. But they were so weird about it, not talking about what was really happening.

I tried 'em anyway, but had it been with the Phase I'd already bought, this story would have been different--I'm sure if it.

Funny thing is that the rumor mill suggested that Leaf wanted Phase locked out of the platform in order for them to sign on. If true, oh, the irony...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    BJP has only been in print since 1854, online since 1997, not bad for an inaccurate and factually incorect rag.
    The papers which are going the strongest around here are the rags, not the intellectually or politically enlightened papers. There is always a greater market for the rags.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

I'll wait for the Sinar announcement. All else is meaningless!

Post Thanks / Like

The papers which are going the strongest around here are the rags, not the intellectually or politically enlightened papers. There is always a greater market for the rags.
    Nice job of insulting the intelligence of all the forum members

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    It wasn't just locking out Phase Jack, you couldn't even put a month old Leaf 75s back on a Leaf Afi!

Every freaking Leaf owner was locked out. Obviously no Hasselblad back could be used, and no Phase back. All three of the major players with all the backs out there that were potentials for that fine camera were null-and-void.

That's beyond stupid IMHO.

Then there was the initial pricing.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that Carsten is insulting anyone. I don't know BJP well enough to have an opinion of it, but the referenced article states that Jenoptik is divesting itself of Sinar. This is not quite news, as it was announced about a month ago. The article then says: "BJP also understands that Sinar has taken the decision to drop the Hy6, ...", but, afaik, Sinar has made no announcement on the subject, so, I am with foto-z/Graham; until Sinar does reveal their plans, it is just conjecture based on personal biases.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you feel that way. But to suggest that folks are not reading "the intellectually or politically enlightened papers", and also to NOT bother to try to "enlighten" with some facts from any of "those other papers" seems a bit cheeky. The BJP may not be top end journalism for many, but at least they are reporting some things that others are not. Sinar may not be happy with the suggested comments, especially if they have not worked out the details over how they are going to handle the divestiture......a management buyout was rumored elsewhere......but there is a lot of writing on the wall, and for all we know, BJP may have actually spoken with Sinar, but cannot quote them directly at this point, or at least have been asked not to. Things we do not yet know. I posted the link for folks interested in things to read and form their own thoughts, not to blast or defend BJP. Sinar may or may not make any formal announcement until it gets through its own disentanglement. The article merely states where things are today, versus what was rumored a month ago. The Jenoptic position is now clear. The Sinar position is not final yet, but there are fewer and fewer options seemingly open. That is what BJP is saying by "BJP also understands....." Is that real or rumor? They are reporting what they understand the situation to be. Good lord, this is not the Star or the Enquirer or some tabloid rag, as was intimated. They may get it wrong. If there is other credible info out there for folks to digest, why not post it and let folks read for themselves.

LJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Nice job of insulting the intelligence of all the forum members
    ? How does commenting on the newspapers in Berlin have anything to do with all the forum members?
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    That is what BJP is saying by "BJP also understands....." Is that real or rumor? They are reporting what they understand the situation to be.
    I am not necessarily saying that it is not true, but the BJP saying that they "understand" something to be true is the same as saying that they don't know for sure, i.e. not-a-fact. They should stop adding these punchlines to their otherwise straight-forward reporting. They have often been inaccurate in the recent past.
    Carsten - Website

Shelby Lewis

? How does commenting on the newspapers in Berlin have anything to do with all the forum members?
    Hey Carsten... i think (and I speak for myself ) that the statement "The papers which are going the strongest around here are the rags" was taken as meaning "around GetDPI" ... GetDPI being "here".

I don't think most of us read it that way, though.

smei_ch

On Aug. 5th Sinar sent an internal communication paper to very selected recipients. Content was thin, but nevertheless confidential. Obviously BJP got a copy of that.

To quote the german member from another thread where he also claimed to know better:
    "...There is any number of unsubstantiated claims in the average thread around here, or in any other forum. This is one of the least contentious. ..."

Everybody can do whatever he likes with his own credibility.

As long as there is no official statement from the involved companies, every post is sharing opinions or spreading rumours.
    Last edited by smei_ch; 22nd August 2009 at 22:53. Reason: typos

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Hey Carsten... i think (and I speak for myself ) that the statement "The papers which are going the strongest around here are the rags" was taken as meaning "around GetDPI" ... GetDPI being "here".

I don't think most of us read it that way, though.
    Oops, this was not my intention, my apologies to LJ and anyone else who read it that way.

All I wanted to say what that the BJP having been around since 1854 does not automatically confer it with trustworthiness. It might be, it might not be.
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think any news (or rumors or gossip) like this should be shared and left to the intelligence of the reader to determine their take on it. I also think posters should be able to challenge a statement so there is some sort of balance interjected into the thread.

The reason is because this stuff costs so much money that one misstep can be a true disaster to an individual. My skew of loyalty is to fellow photographers not to any specific company. But if the company is being maligned unjustly then we should speak up ... IF we have facts or informed opinion to back up a counter point.

I think these guys are out of business concerning the Hy6. That is just an opinion since it hasn't come directly from the horses mouth yet. However, I doubt they would announce it if there are units out there still for sale.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now I can add the Hy6 to the Contax - not made anymore but works just fine till it breaks collection. I will look to pick up one of these junk bodies for spare parts - anyone got one to sell for a few hundred bucks?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Now I can add the Hy6 to the Contax - not made anymore but works just fine till it breaks collection. I will look to pick up one of these junk bodies for spare parts - anyone got one to sell for a few hundred bucks?
    Either that or they will skyrocket in price after an initial sell-off period ... (if an offical announcement is made). Look at the price of some Contax 645 stuff ... I should have kept all of it ... I'd have made a killing compared to the bath I took. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20.

Post Thanks / Like

Hy6 is dead - unfortunately another German product

Hope this does NOT happen to Leica's S2 as I really would love to see some German companies survive and build the right things against Far East

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Either that or they will skyrocket in price after an initial sell-off period ... (if an offical announcement is made). Look at the price of some Contax 645 stuff ... I should have kept all of it ... I'd have made a killing compared to the bath I took. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20.
    Prices will depend on if one can get DBs with the right mount for them or not. You could always get your Leaf or Phase DB with a Contax mount or have it changed over but as far as I know that wasn't the case with the Hy6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am afraid that the Sinar Hy6 might be over. Now you can get a Digital back for your Hasselblad V or 500 serie of 39 mg pixel for about 15,500.00 Cdn.

I saw the Sinar Hy6 it was very attractive and I would love to get in that system, I have been using Sinar for over 20 years and I believe in there system. I think they came out to late and to expensive, plus Leaf being bought out by Phase I really don't see Sinar continuing with there Hy6.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sinar has already gone on the record stating that they have enough bodies for their sales for the immediate future. If anyone wants one, they are still available...

I agree that it looks rough at the moment, but given the total absence of facts, I am still shocked how many people make definitive statements about its death. Let Sinar say so before spreading that kind of thing around.
    Carsten - Website

ddk

Carsten, more than likely Sinar and Leaf have a certain amount of inventory as well as some of their dealers, that doesn't mean that its still alive and you wont have problems getting parts like the AE finder. Knowing what you know as fact regarding the situation with the camera manufacturer, Leaf and Jenoptik, would you feel comfortable buying one at full price today?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Absolutely categorically not. Rumors , facts it really does not matter it is a risk no matter how you slice the cheese. Maybe a Sinar back but a HY6 i would not go for it. There is just not enough positive at the moment be it right or wrong just to much negative talk. Sure they will have parts and bodies for awhile and I am glad for the current owners that this is a very good thing it can stretch them out for a period of time but if you just think ahead given what we know or for that matter do not know, not sure I would go for one. Not that Phase or Hassy could not go down but I at least I see sales and numbers out there that could carry me longer. Now I said this before in the US Sinar is by far not that popular as it is in Europe. Yes there are some owners but the numbers are light compared to Hassy and Phase owners and even Leaf for that matter which had a decent presence in the States. These comments are not negative in any way it is a risk reward proposition and I don't see much in the reward as I do in the risk. Just simple logic

The bottom line BJP could be full of BS for all we know the point being the Hy6 is making news and it is not positive news and I'm sure Sinar owners are very nervous about this but anyone looking at a system see's this publicity will shy away. Frankly I wish Sinar well and anyone leaving this industry is not a good thing period.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let's look at this in a different light and ask yourself this question honestly. If you are a Sinar owner with several lenses and full kit and you left the whole system in your car and it got stolen and your insurance company handed you a 30 or 40 k check to buy a system . You have the check in your hand and can do anything with it how many or better yet would any one of us go buy another Sinar system given what we know today. Sure you would certainly entertain it but would you actually sign that check over for another one. It's a great question and a decision obviously based on individual needs but I know I would not if I was in that spot.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

IMO not good to communicate so few infos about the future /no future of the Hy6.
    Who would buy a Hy6 ithout knowing the system is continued in the future?
    The other thing is all these rumours etc. drive me crazy.
    Discussing things before they even exist (like the S2, M9, new phamiya, or the end of hy6 etc etc)
    I think a lot of energy and power is just wasted this way. Why not dicuss the REAL things?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Carsten, more than likely Sinar and Leaf have a certain amount of inventory as well as some of their dealers, that doesn't mean that its still alive and you wont have problems getting parts like the AE finder. Knowing what you know as fact regarding the situation with the camera manufacturer, Leaf and Jenoptik, would you feel comfortable buying one at full price today?
    No, I would not. Unless the system had everything I needed as is, and Sinar lives on to support it. I am the owner of a Contax, after all
    Carsten - Website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    IMO not good to communicate so few infos about the future /no future of the Hy6.
    Who would buy a Hy6 ithout knowing the system is continued in the future?
    The other thing is all these rumours etc. drive me crazy.
    Discussing things before they even exist (like the S2, M9, new phamiya, or the end of hy6 etc etc)
    I think a lot of energy and power is just wasted this way. Why not dicuss the REAL things?
    Because it's fun?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's all about the crystal ball.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    It's all about the crystal ball.
    I rthink you need a pair of big brass ones to buy anything new from anyone in MFD land at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The only thing I would buy right this second if I had the money in my hand would be a P40+. Other than that I am really just looking at the S2 for the moment just to see how good it may be. But I am at least 6 months from thinking about buying and that is thinking on the S2 some stuff bugs me on it. Otherwise I am pretty damn happy and I have not said that very often. My system just works and I like it.

Being a gear slut is just like being married the day I stop looking at the pretty girls go by than just open the casket and toss me in.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I rthink you need a pair of big brass ones to buy anything new from anyone in MFD land at the moment.
    I know. I've managed to sell my CFV-II and my H3D-II/31 ... but can't quite bring myself to replace the CFV with the new CFV/39 for my 203FE which really is priced pretty good considering.

I must be shriveling up and the brass is flaking off ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am keen on seeing what the S2 delivers because I can see myself hand holding the thing better than I can hold any other MF camera. I will never sell my M lenses - so whatever the best M body is I will own. My Alpa and Schneiders is never to be sold. I think that is what I will end up with sooner rather thna later....

Hmm that means only 30 lenses and 4 MF camera bodies and two digi backs to sell.

Alexander Bauer

Hmm that means only 30 lenses and 4 MF camera bodies and two digi backs to sell.
    Peter you need to join the Forbes list

ddk

The only thing I would buy right this second if I had the money in my hand would be a P40+. Other than that I am really just looking at the S2 for the moment just to see how good it may be. But I am at least 6 months from thinking about buying and that is thinking on the S2 some stuff bugs me on it. Otherwise I am pretty damn happy and I have not said that very often. My system just works and I like it.

Being a gear slut is just like being married the day I stop looking at the pretty girls go by than just open the casket and toss me in.
    Can I ask the resident slut what stuff bugs you about the S2? I'm really happy with my equipment too and my only temptation currently is the P40+ for its high iso performance, so we're kind of in the same boat. I'm also looking at the S2 but the lack of a 45mm or 55mm lens is potentially a deal breaker for me, I have no interest in a zoom lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Would never ever buy a Sinar / Hy6 System today with the knowledge we all currently have about their future. Would be the same as quickly buying a DMR and R System from the scratch after they said it is discontinued.

I am in the waiting position for the S2 as well. Luckily enough I could wait and not spend any money in digital MF so far. Hasselblad is sorted out for me, the remaining 2 are Phase and Leica S. And I must admit that I have great hopes in the S System, as I would really prefer the Leica glass - as you can tell I am a Leica fan. And yes, I know all the weak parts of Leica and their support etc, but I hope it improves and we will see then .....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Bauer View Post
    Peter you need to join the Forbes list
    I am a perfect testament to what a person shouldn't do regarding gear purchase. For a small fee ( free lens thrown in as well ) I will be happy to send you a 20 page essay on the lessons I have learned and the money I have burned on my way to enlightenment!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For the type of work I do the CFV 39 will be just fine. Mounted on a 503 or 500 CM with a my CF 40, CF 80 and CF 150 plus the extension tube.

No I don't need auto focus lens or zoom lens. Since I shot Corporate, Industrial and Products in studio. Since most of my shots are stage with some set-up time.

If I would be shooting Models on a run-way maybe the Hasselblad H series might be a better choice, for the exposure control and the auto-focus.

The other matter is was to sell-off my current Hasselblad kit at a great lost to retool?
    Michel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Can I ask the resident slut what stuff bugs you about the S2? I'm really happy with my equipment too and my only temptation currently is the P40+ for its high iso performance, so we're kind of in the same boat. I'm also looking at the S2 but the lack of a 45mm or 55mm lens is potentially a deal breaker for me, I have no interest in a zoom lens.
    Great question actually 3:2 framing is one of them .I really like 4:3
    Not to get into the big debate but C1 is certainly my preferred processor
    Pixel binning is not coming out on release
    Lost control for corrections , Even though they say they don't need it . I want distortion control for barrel
    Obviously lost tech camera's
    Obviously lost able to switch backs for shooting , repair and such
    There are more but still on first espresso. LOL

ddk

Great question actually 3:2 framing is one of them .I really like 4:3
    hmm, never thought about this one, that means I need yet another matte size, not good.

Not to get into the big debate but C1 is certainly my preferred processor
    My experience with every digital device has proven that one gets best results from dedicated software rather than generic processors, even as good as they've become. I'm still on the fence regarding dng.

Pixel binning is not coming out on release
    Does that mean compromised high iso?

Lost control for corrections , Even though they say they don't need it . I want distortion control for barrel
    You have that in PS

Obviously lost able to switch backs for shooting , repair and such
    Nothing to worry about with a 2nd body ,

You're right $hit happens, I had two backs and 2 bodies fail during my last shoot and needed a third system to finish up. Later it turned out that the backs were fine but the cards became corrupted, and I have strange noise patterns on a lot of the files. The cameras were a different story, they needed servicing, the shutter control had gone on both. Nobody really knows what happened but they think that it was either caused by a strong RF signal or electrical pulse/spike of some kind. What can go wrong WILL go wrong...

Of course you know that as a fellow slut I have very little control when it comes to these things and I'm trying to psyche myself out before reaching the point of no return.
    Last edited by ddk; 24th August 2009 at 09:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

High ISO yes . It is rated at 1250 with full resolution . The P30+ right now is 1600 . Okay we all know the top one is not so great so figure 640 and 800. I know 800 is stellar on the P30 Plus but still don't know about the S2. The P40 from the tests pixel binning worked very nice and clean ISO 800 was very good and pretty darn good at 1600. I like to test this again and will in Oregon . Or maybe have Doug send it to me just before the workshop so I can run again some more tests on it.

The other thing here related to dedicated software is I know my Phase files and other files for that matter are better on noise than any other program I tried. I can count on this. The S2 we will have to see but again it would be Lightroom and from the past it did not do so well on noise but we have to wait to see how the S2 does . The issue is I know what the Phase does today and like many thing you count on what you know . But we will have to test the S2 on this arena for sure. This comes down to processing and no one can tell me anything until we try it.

I have a little Missouri in me. Show me. LOL

ddk

The other thing here related to dedicated software is I know my Phase files and other files for that matter are better on noise than any other program I tried. I can count on this. The S2 we will have to see but again it would be Lightroom and from the past it did not do so well on noise but we have to wait to see how the S2 does
    Its the same with Leaf files, I use PS for conversion when I want to add noise to the files, I'm not kidding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes same processing engine