The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider True-Pol?

Hi,

I shoot outdoors and the polarizer is my main filter. I get the best I can find and previously used B+W. I saw the Schneider true-pol advertised as 12 times more effective than other polarizers. I have seen from film forums that people like them but no real feedback as to whether they are better than other polarizers.

I don't mind the 4x4 square as my lenses run from 72 to 95mm and I use 4x6 grads all the time. so I have a rotating holder. If this filter does give me noticeably better polarization in more conditions then I would definitely be interested.

Anyone have experience with this filter and how it compares?

Thanks

Guy

Tim Ernst

Hey Guy, I have the True-pol and use it with my Mamiya 28mm and Nikon 14-24. No way it is "12 times more effective" - that is just marketing BS. I have never done a head-to-head comparison but I doubt you would see much difference between it and your B+W (probably are the same glass to begin with). This filter is VERY thick, but then I guess it is actually thinner than the B+W since it is not mounted - just two very thick sheets of glass.

etrump

Ditto on Tim's assessment. I have the water white version and while it is a nice polarizer is not much difference than my B&W.

Hi,

Just to close out this thread, I received an email direct from the Schneider company representative in response to my question (I sent the question to their website). He said that the true-pol was miles ahead of less expensive competition when it was released, but that, now, I would see little difference between it and the B+W filters. He had some very helpful suggestions about when to use square vs screw-in polarizers.

I was extremely impressed with the response, and in fact he exchanged several emails with me. This speaks volumes about the caliber of their company. I will be sticking with B+W but will get a true-pol if I ever need a square filter.

Just thought those who responded would want to know. Also, many thanks to the people who responded. Also says a lot about the caliber of these forums!

Guy